LegacyGT.com

Quick (probably stupid) Gasket Question

I feel like this is a stupid question but try not to be to brutal in the answers please :)

Ive pulled my turbo a few times. Most recently being a few months ago. I found out i need to pull it again. Bottom line. I was told anytime i pulled the turbo, or pretty much any part like this. The gaskets need to be replaced. Ive done it a few times, and was wondering if its necessary considering how new mine are? Its it actually necessary for the sake of a good seal, or is it one of those "do it while your there because your usually pulling off 5-10+ year old gaskets"

Thanks in advance. I'm still learning. But this is the best forum ive ever seen for a car. Makes me glad i bought an LGT. Please.... Be gentle :lol:

Side question- Gutted my stock DP. huge improvement! Should i gut the UP aswell? (dont have cash to buy aftermarket. and id like to maintain the "Stock" look)

Yes, I have reused those gaskets.

Yes you should remove the cat in the up pipe, also the EGT probe, get a 2.2k ohm resistor and stick it in the connector on the inner fender to cancel the CEL for the probe.

I would think you need a tune for the higher flow in your exhaust now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The Cobb tune does not disable the EGT CEL; you do need the 50-cent resistor.

Running an OTS tune on a gutted stock DP may or may not be hazardous to your engine. Easy to find out. Buy a $10 VAG-COM cable from eBay and install Learning View software. If your timing grid has lots of red and yellow non-zero entries, you need a custom tune.

Spray the gaskets 3 light coats each side with Permatex Copper Gasket Spray and reuse, reuse, reuse. I've used exhaust gaskets (as long as they are not crumbling apart) several times and just give them another light coating and no leaks ever.

Exhaust gaskets are way too expensive to just use once and throw away.

Archived