LegacyGT.com

Locking/ unlocking chirp

I have a 2016 limited and I don't know if I did something, but the chirp that would let me know that the car is locked or unlocked stopped working. When I'd come to unlock the door, the car would chirp, when I'd lock the car, the car would chirp, and it suddenly stopped. It was very helpful top have that feature. My car is a keyless entry. I checked the manual, read the forums...can anyone help?

I wonder why it randomly disabled but I can assure you it can be enabled/disabled by the user. I turned mine off that way. I’ll take a look on mine tomorrow but the previous post seems accurate.

That doesn't seem to fix it. That audible signal is for the beeps when pressing buttons on the radio screen itself.

It works for me, so not sure why it doesn't turn it on/off for you.

I pulled this straight from the 2015 Legacy Manual (Chapter 3, Page 47):

Keyless Entry System: You can change some of the settings of

the remote keyless entry system (all models) and keyless access with pushbutton start system (if equipped). After entering the “Keyless Entry System” menu, select one of the following menus:

Audible Signal: The audible signal can be activated or deactivated.

Select “On” to activate. Select “Off” to deactivate.

I checked that menu setting and it's set to on. I was looking up some videos and they said to hold down the unlock button and a bunch of other procedures that didn't make sense to be honest, but whatever I did brought back the chirp, but now it's lower sounding than what it was before, almost inaudible, Is there a way to increase its volume..the volume of the chirp? It was definitely higher before.

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/special_tool

Looks like the BIU update was for 2016 WRX and WRX STI only but does mention:

To add Keyless Buzzer Vol. Adjustment (Release month: October 2015)

So perhaps its not a coincidence you're seeing something similar on a 2016 Legacy.

Maybe a BIU update is in order for it as well, Subaru just hasn't acknowledged, worked on or rolled one out.

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/special_tool

Looks like the BIU update was for 2016 WRX and WRX STI only but does mention:

To add Keyless Buzzer Vol. Adjustment (Release month: October 2015)

So perhaps its not a coincidence you're seeing something similar on a 2016 Legacy.

Maybe a BIU update is in order for it as well, Subaru just hasn't acknowledged, worked on or rolled one out.

Is it possible you can attach that pdf or copy it somehow to show it here? I can't access any of the tsb's anymore.

Sometimes when computers are not working correctly a reboot helps. If it were me I would disconnect one of the battery leads, let it set for a few minutes to discharge the capacitors, then hook it up again. You may have to reset a few options such as radio presets, etc. Also when it is unhooked I would give it a good visual inspection and make sure there is no corrosion on either of the terminals.

• 4 months later...
Can anyone assist in this issue? Why would the chirp just disappear. The head unit settings are correct, BIU was checked at dealer and they said that's good also. I'm at a loss here and would love to have that chirp back.

chirp will not happen unless vehicle sees all the doors are fully shut and hood and trunk is shut. make sure all your pin switches work properly. biu could not be seeing a door or trunk is not closed even though it is.

Archived