LegacyGT.com

JDM Third Gen Legacy Wheel Offset

Ok, I tried to search for answers but came with conflicting reports. Guys from the uklegacy forums say that the stock wheel offset for BE/BH chassis are +47/48, but other sources such as NASIOC say its +55. Which is which?!

I'm planning on getting after market rims so I want to make sure they will fit the way I want them to. :confused::spin:

55 is stock OEM subaru fitment for 6.5-7" width rims. If its 7.5 or 8", they sometimes use 47-48, depending on which manfucturer (enkei, bbs, etc) they use to make that specific rim. They also use the latter offset sometimes for cars with plastic fenderflares (e.g. foresters and outbacks) to compensate for the wider-looking fenders

I went to a local shop today and they suggested me an 8" wide rim (so 17x8) with a 45 offset. This will stick out a full inch more than my current stock rims. And they are saying there will be no stretch if fitted with a 225/45r17 tire.

I want to keep my rims with the stock stancing. What are my limits on the rim width and offset?

Assuming you're starting with a 7" width rim, the tire shops suggestion would place the new rim 1/2" wider on the outside and 1/2" wider on the inside. That's a typical subaru wheel offset for an 8", you should be fine the 225 width tire should also work. I have had multiple set of 8" wheels in that offset on my old 3rd gen legacy.

Just for reference, the 05-07 STI used a 225 width tire on 8" width wheels.

Assuming you're starting with a 7" width rim, the tire shops suggestion would place the new rim 1/2" wider on the outside and 1/2" wider on the inside. That's a typical subaru wheel offset for an 8", you should be fine the 225 width tire should also work. I have had multiple set of 8" wheels in that offset on my old 3rd gen legacy.

Just for reference, the 05-07 STI used a 225 width tire on 8" width wheels.

Im not sure I get what you mean. How would you get the rims 0.5" wider outside and 0.5" wider inside? Is that not dependent on the offset?

this will help you figure things out...

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

I wish this showed pictures of how the tire would seat on the rims.. Thank you though!

If you follow link at my earlier post, you can visualize etc.

O.

I was looking for something like, actual pictures of tires mounted on the rims and on the car. Fitment Industries' site offers something similar but they dont have pictures for B4 RSKs... :(

• 3 weeks later...

Update with the wheels:

I ended up buying Enkei TM7s, 17x8 with an offset of 45 and bolt pattern of 5x100. Bore size was 72.6 so I had to purchase 72.6 -> 56.1 hub centric rings.

I wrapped the set with 225/45ZR17 profile BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2 A/S all-season tires.

Installed the tires yesterday, seemed to work well. It cleared the fender with about 4 to 4.5 cms of clearance:

xPXXH93.jpg

However while driving around yesterday I felt/noticed that the tires are hitting the rear fenders when I go over bumps on the road at speed. Which means I have to get my fenders rolled..

Curses to the shop that told me it will fit no problem.

Archived