LegacyGT.com

timing belt advise

My belt is in need of replacement do I use aftermarket or oem and my mechanic is suggesting I do water pump but the part guy at Subaru is saying no need what's the view on these two subjects and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

A good aftermarket belt like gates or continental is fine in my opinion. I would recommend doing the water pump because it is driven by the timing belt and if it fails later, you will have to re do the entire job, so I would replace it if it was up to me.

A good aftermarket belt like gates or continental is fine in my opinion. I would recommend doing the water pump because it is driven by the timing belt and if it fails later, you will have to re do the entire job, so I would replace it if it was up to me.

Exactly on the water pump, it's one of those "if you're already in there..." type deals. The part isn't overly expensive and shouldn't add much additional to the labor rate and parts bill.

The dealer doesn't stock the GT water pump, because it is a 5th Gen Legacy GT part only and the 5th Gen GT is a rare vehicle. IMO say no Gates, they sell substandard parts that are know to fail. I would rather risk not replacing the original stock water pump than put in a gates water pump (only aftermarket manufacturer who makes a 5th Gen GT replacement)

The additional labor for doing the waterpump isn't insignificant. The lower bolt for the oil cooler pipe is a good 3 hour job, because the downpipe or turbo/exhaust manifold needs to be dropped.

I did the water pump with the timing belt. If I was paying someone I would probably pay to do the water pump. I am mechanically inclined, I am on the fence whether or I would do the water pump with the timing belt or wait until later.

I bought the gates kit, and OEM water pump, you might as well do the pump while youre in there, it not the water pump that fails, its usually the gasket. Just do it while you have it apart

I used the Continental tensioners and belt for my timing belt, I wish I spent the extra for the OEM parts. You can buy an OEM timing kit on ebay for about $140 more than it cost me to buy the continental parts plus the OEM tensioner. It irked me the timing belt marks on the belt didn't line up with the factory timing marks (it needed to be over a half of tooth on the belt). The idlers also made some noise on initial start up.

FYI, you will also likely need new turbo coolant lines if your can has been driven on salted roads for it entire life. You might as order the coolant lines so don't cause any delays of the repair.

Archived