LegacyGT.com

Fitment of OB 225/60/18 on the Legacy?

I found a set of 18" outback wheels locally and was wondering if anyone tried the fitment on our 15-17 legacies. I know the speedo will be off by quiet a bit. I'm mainly after the wheels but the guy is selling them with stock tires that have some thread left. I was thinking of using them for the summer and then switch to winter tires if possible.

I'm on a stock setup. I don't really want to roll the fenders as it will be a setup for a few months till I wear out those tires..

Just looking for comments if anyone tried that size and what the experience was.

You really don't want to do this regardless of the "dead cat space" in the wheel to work with. There's more than just the speedometer - your odometer, etc. will be off. No way. It's not worth whatever savings you are perceiving.

And if you ever sell the car, you'll have to declare why the odo is off. That's a huge red flag.

You really don't want to do this regardless of the "dead cat space" in the wheel to work with. There's more than just the speedometer - your odometer, etc. will be off. No way. It's not worth whatever savings you are perceiving.

And if you ever sell the car, you'll have to declare why the odo is off. That's a huge red flag.

Thanks! I was only planning to use them for ~3 mo / couple of thousand miles. With a 5% error it will be off by 100 miles. Anyway, may not be worth the trouble as there may not be much thread left from the close-up pics I saw.

As for the wheels themselves, I thought they were the same part number. But a part look up shows them to be slightly different. Didn't think the OB wheels would be narrower. But that's not that big of a deal I guess.

Legacy

Part Number: 28111AL01A

18X7.5J OFF55

DARK GRAY

Outback

Part Number: 28111AL03A

18X7J OFF55

DARK METALLIC

As for the wheels themselves, I thought they were the same part number.

They are not the same. Bolt circle, pilot bore, and offset are all identical, but the rim width is 1/2 inch narrower on the Outback wheels. (It's in your Owners Manual, page 12-9.) The Outback rim width is still within the allowable range for Legacy-spec tires, though, at the possible expense of slightly less crisp steering response.

Just buy new Legacy-spec tires and be done with it. Problem solved.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

They are not the same. Bolt circle, pilot bore, and offsets are all identical, but the rim width is 1/2 inch narrower on the Outback wheels. The Outback rim width is still within the allowable range for Legacy-spec tires, though, at the possible expense of slightly less crisp steering response.

Just buy new Legacy-spec tires and be done with it. Problem solved.

Thanks for the information.

I use the legacy as the DD and on long highway trips year round. I got by with the stock goodyears this winter as they were brand new. I don't think they'll be able to handle snow after they have 15k miles on them...

The wife drives the OB and has a 5 mile commute and can get by with the stock bridgestone A/S

Wanted to get these as a winter set up for the legacy and put on 235/50R18 101V of the Hankooks with the higher load rating and if we took the OB out to the mountains in the winter, I could swap them onto the OB... So I don't need to have 2 sets of winters.

May be I'm just over complicating this whole thing and should just get better A/S when the time comes :spin:

I found a set of 18" outback wheels locally and was wondering if anyone tried the fitment on our 15-17 legacies. I know the speedo will be off by quiet a bit. I'm mainly after the wheels but the guy is selling them with stock tires that have some thread left. I was thinking of using them for the summer and then switch to winter tires if possible.

I'm on a stock setup. I don't really want to roll the fenders as it will be a setup for a few months till I wear out those tires..

Just looking for comments if anyone tried that size and what the experience was.

Just change the tires... Rims will be fine go with a 225/45/18

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

... go with a 225/45/18

If he's going to buy new tires anyway, why recommend a non-standard size that will result in speedometer/odometer errors? Proper OE Legacy tire sizes are 225/55R17 97V and 225/50R18 95H.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

LOL! Thanks for your input guys.

@Grnlantern1, I'm not going to be running those slicks for snow tires :)

If anything I'd go with 215/55/18 or the stock 225/50/18 depending what options are available in those sizes, the load rating and price. But at this point I'm not really sure if I even want to get these as it looks like I'm just chasing down a rabbit hole and I don't think what I'm after is the best way to go.

If he's going to buy new tires anyway, why recommend a non-standard size that will result in speedometer/odometer errors? Proper OE Legacy tire sizes are 225/55R17 97V and 225/50R18 95H.
Sorry that was my mistake I was thinking 19".. Yeah just run stock 18" suze 225/50/18..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Archived