LegacyGT.com

Questions from a Newbie

Hey everyone, been browsing around here a little more here lately. I have a 2008 3.0R. Looking into doing a few things here and there.

I respect the hell out everyone that goes all out with their cars. There are truly some amazing vehicles on here and they’re fun to check out. With that being said, I have no intention, at least not now, of going too crazy and have to mess around with modifying things to fit, and really, truly customizing things.

What I’m interested in is some of the most common, high quality, direct replacement parts I can get on this 3.0R to help handling and the looks to a certain extent.

I want to go with a new grill with the open design and honeycomb or mesh insert. I see some on eBay for about $165 or so. Is this the best option for a direct replacement? Looks like they come unfinished and without holes drilled for mounting. I know that wouldn’t be too tough to deal with. I’ve seen a JDM only version that is carbon fiber, I like that idea, but haven’t seen a USDM version yet.

One of the fog light lenses is cracked, so I need to replace that. I saw a full Morimoto housing with LED’s. The XB LED fog lights I believe it was. Anyone running these? Not cheap at $205, but if they’re nice and hold up, might be worth it. I have Morimoto LED headlight bulbs in for low beams so it could be a good match.

For handing, what are some of the most common upgrades? Front and rear sway bar? Poly bushings everywhere? LCA’s?

I’ll probably be replacing brake rotors soon as well. Is there a certain drilled or slotted rotor that people tend to go with the most often?

Thanks for any advice on this or anything else people have done. I understand some regulars will probably roll their eyes at this post and I get it. I have a 4Runner that I’ve done some work to and I’m on a forum for that quite often and I could talk about that stuff all day. I come on to here for the Legacy and I’m lost to say the least. There seems to be a fair amount more customization and retro fitting that people do to these.

hQgxPFo.jpg

Tough crowd. My questions were vague and screams I’m new here, I get it.

Anyone that has any easy bolt on/direct replacement mods, I’m all ears.

I’m in no rush, I enjoy reading through all of this stuff to see what people have done, so I’ll continue to do that and gather info.

Good looking car. I did koni struts and lowering springs with Perrin front and rear seat bars. Handles much better than stock IMO. Sporty but comfortable

DBA rotors are popular, but you'll get a strong push for Centric blanks as well. Typically Stoptech pads for DD.

John Hancock

OP: I think you've got answers to the handling part (sway bars, endlinks). Could upgrade shocks/springs if you were so inclined. Popular choice are Koni Yellows with Epic springs for a shock/spring option. I have KW Variant 2s, which are a good coilover choice that aren't insanely expensive (can get them used in the ballpark of $1k-$1.5k). See also: RCE Tarmacs, which are a modified KW V2.

As usual, I'd strongly recommend avoiding drilled rotors, and also skipping on slotted rotors as well. Totally useless for brake performance on a street car, more expensive, and less durable. If you NEED the sweet stylings, then slotted is okay, but avoid drilled rotors. Like stated above, Centric Blanks are the go-to recommendation. I prefer the cryo-treated variety myself. Get those from RockAuto along with the StopTech street pads.

As for looks... that's more on you to pick out something you like. I believe the JDM rev D-F grilles are plug-n-play for the '08-'09 legacy, but not positive on that. It's minimal modification, if any. There's no USDM honeycomb grille AFAIK, but it's easy to cut up an old Crown Vic grille to fit.

I agree with what people have said so far based on my minimal knowledge. One thing I didn't see mentioned is "saggy butt spacers" to stick in the back and help offset the back from riding so low relative to the front.

I was under the impression that's mostly for wagons when using suspension parts from a sedan.

I agree with what people have said so far based on my minimal knowledge. One thing I didn't see mentioned is "saggy butt spacers" to stick in the back and help offset the back from riding so low relative to the front.
Solidxsnake is correct. Those are for wagons.

Archived