LegacyGT.com

New owner questions

So I've recently just purchase a 2008 legacy spec b in the diamond metallic silver. I love the car but this is my firs y turbo car so to be totally honest I'm not entirely positive what I'm getting into.

So the first question I have is about the transmission, it has the 6 speed which I heard were notoriously bulletproof but im having some issues with 4th. The previous owner recently serviced the front and rear diff (in my 2nd gen the gear oil and tranny fluid shared the same bath, is that the same?) and I'm wondering if maybe he put in too light oil. It grinds going into 4th almost every shift. What I've noticed is it only does it when the transmission has warmed up all the way. When the car is still kind of cold it doesn't grind. If i very very gently start to press on 4th and slowly move it onto 4th then sometimes it won't grind but it usually does. What might the be, synchro? What kind of gear oil would you guys recommend that's the best out there in your opinions?

2nd question is oil related with engine. I did some scanning around the forums but couldn't find an oil that is really better then others, they all seem to be kinda equal in people's preferences. I've seen a lot of 5w-30 and full synthetic always. I'm in Washington where the seasons are pretty average all 4 seasons, hot summer and cold winters. I want only the best fluids for this car so what oil has won you guys over?

And third is a total noob question but like I said, 0 experience with turbo's. So do these cars have an atmospheric blow off valve or should I be leaking for a boost leak? Basically I can hear the turbo spooling and it spools nicely and then as I go to shift or release my foot from the gas you hear what almost sounds like an aftermarket bov but a lot quieter. Also on down revving you can hear something. I'm just extremely paranoid about the turbo condition from the stories I've heard. That brings me to the second point of this, i know the regular gt's run a vf40, is that the same for the spec b or is it smaller?

Some info on the car is it has 115k miles, always had up to date oil changes and very well taken care of. Turbo, turbo inlet, clutch, timing components, flywheel, suspension bits, power steering pump (power steering sounds like its a bit whiney but fluid is good) and a ton of other items were replaced around 20k miles ago

Spec B has a vf40, just like everyone else. Might need a new syncro on 4th gear. Replaced turbo is a warning sign of coming engine damage, but usually only if replaced right before selling.

Motor oil: 5w30 synthetic, NOT Mobil I. Nothing against Mobil I, these engines just don't like it. I've been happy with Pennzoil Platinum.

Spec B has a vf40, just like everyone else. Might need a new syncro on 4th gear. Replaced turbo is a warning sign of coming engine damage, but usually only if replaced right before selling.

Motor oil: 5w30 synthetic, NOT Mobil I. Nothing against Mobil I, these engines just don't like it. I've been happy with Pennzoil Platinum.

'08 has VF46, not VF40. The noise you described is the bypass valve - recirculating, not atmospheric.

Perfect thank you guys for the info. Is a synchro a big job? I'd imagine you have to yank the tranny for it. Is there any gear oil I could run right now to maybe help this issue?

I have yet to find a thread with someone claiming to have rebuilt a Subaru six speed successfully. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but the issue with 4th gear might indicate a vehicle that has quite a rough few years. Was the car launched at all? How much do you know about the history of the car? I would suggest a 5w40 versus a 5w30, as far as brand is concern that will be up to you. I for one have been carrying my own testing using Blackstone lab oil analysis to determine which oil I will finally settle with. I've already had Motul Excess 5w40 tested and are now waiting for the test results of Schaeffers 5w40 oil. While on the subject of oil, make sure you check it regularly.

Welcome to the Spec B family, take good care of it, there are only a few unicorns left.

Welcome to the spec b world!! I bought mine in this last August and I still am as excited to drive it as I was when I bought it 10,000 miles ago! I do my oil changes every 2,500 -3,000 Miles with rotella t6. Some might say that's a little too soon but idc I'd rather do it sooner. I also check my oil every week. I was blinded going into this as well it is my first turbo car and was told over and over to keep checking your oil in these cars they eat it up.

I think my fourth gear syncro in my 5-speed may be in pretty bad shape but the 5-speeds are a different story. Yes, having your transmission rebuilt would be an expensive job. If there's that much grinding it might be worth changing/checking the gear oil in the trans too, or just regardless since you just acquired the car.

A boost leak test would be a fine idea regardless since you just got the car.

I'm really jealous that you got a later model Spec B!

Thanks guys! I'm absolutely in love with the car, my 2nd gen was cool and all but in the end I still ended up having to rebuild the engine and after that it was still quite a turd. The turbo rush in this thing has surprised many people so far lol.

Anyways with the history I dont know much, i know I'm the 3rd owner and the previous owner took amazing care of the mechanical aspect but who knows what the first owner has done. More specifically the items that were replaced about 20k ago were front and rear windshield, turbo, perrin turbo inlet, clutch, lightweight flywheel, timing belt and pulleys, water pump, power steering, rack and pinion pressure seals, radiator, front and rear diff fluid, pcv valve, variable valve timing solenoid, crank sensor, intake manifold gasket, new fuel and vacuum lines, control arm bushings and lastly ball joints. The guy had receipts for all of this work and the car runs great.

I've been able to rebuild engines previously as my job is to rebuild little honda gx270 go kart engines but the transmission seems like it might be a little out of my field, how much would a shop charge to rebuild a synchro? Rough estimates

You dick. Giant herpes infested dick. :spin: I’ve got PMs coming in left and right cause Captain Fucksticks here is posting to PM me everywhere. I haven’t owned an LGT since 2014. Never owned a spec.B either.

I hate you for making me track down these threads. I really hate you. :lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

You dick. Giant herpes infested dick. :spin: I’ve got PMs coming in left and right cause Captain Fucksticks here is posting to PM me everywhere. I haven’t owned an LGT since 2014. Never owned a spec.B either.

I hate you for making me track down these threads. I really hate you. :lol:

:confused:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Motul gear 300 is the recommended tranny fluid also for the rear diff. It's not cheap but it is the best stuff out there .

I also use a 5w-40 in both my cars. I also recommend Blackstone Labs. They will send you a free sample kit.

Which turbo is on the car, is it a stock vf46 ? The vf52 is a nice upgrade, but will need a tune for that.

Is the car on the stock MAP ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Motul gear 300 is the recommended tranny fluid also for the rear diff. It's not cheap but it is the best stuff out there .

+1

Step 1 is definitely a fluid change. I have been surprised many times by how much of a difference this can make.

When you use your suction gun to fill the tranny, don't fill it to fast and don't over fill it. You never seem to get all the old fluid out.

Fill it to fast and it will come back out the fill tube.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The car is bone stock. Want to get used to this much power before ever considering an upgrade lol but it is the vf46. And perfect the motul gear 300 is what I will replace mine with then. My shifts just aren't as smooth as they should be, especially 4th

Archived