LegacyGT.com

2009 Outback 3.0R Limited Brake upgrade question

My car is at Wilsonville Subaru for it’s 90k service and she needs new rear brakes; rotors and pads.

I’ve never been impressed with my Outback’s braking performance, so I asked for pricing on LGT vented rear rotors, calipers (if needed), and pads which I felt performed well enough on my 05’ LGT Sedan.

I was told by the service dept after much research and even calling a few aftermarket companies that my specific model has a different rear brake setup than all other years and models for the 05-09 BL/BP generation. Thus making it incompatible with all other brakes available (through Subaru).

Specifically, the Limited version of the 2009 Outback 3.0R has different brakes than even the non Limited of the same year, let alone the 2.5i, LGT, OBXT, or even other H6/3.0 models. Hence there is no available bolt-on Subaru brake option that “fits”?!?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

And yes I know anything can be custom fab’d, but I was looking for a simple bolt-on upgrade over the stock option.

*I have searched and researched, but the rarity of the 2008-2009 Outback 3.0R makes info hard to come by.

Thank you in advance.

Quick look on my phone shows the rotors and calipers are compatible with pretty much everything.

Rotor

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2009_Outback-Limited-30L-5AT/BRAKE-DISK-REAR/49236061/26700AG01B.html

Caliper

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2009_Outback-Limited-30L-5AT/DISK-BRAKE-KIT-PAD-LESS-REAR-RIGHT/60015134/26692AG062.html

But what I don't understand is you wanting the upgrade the brakes on your 09 Outback 3.0R limited to LGT brakes. They use the same brakes. As you can see from that parts cross reference.

Interesting. My 05’ LGT has vented rear rotors and that’s the upgrade I was looking for and they are def larger in diameter also.

Maybe the 05’s had a different rotor than 06-09?

Thank you for including those links.

I didn't bother looking at the picture. But it does show a solid disc for that part number so yeah that would be right, the Outback using 2.5i brakes. Not sure why it lists the LGT in "what this fits".

Not that it matters much but AFAIK the rear rotors are the same diameter, the difference is the LGT are vented, which will require a different caliper due the increased width.

The front rotors are a bigger diameter on the LGT.

Additionally, the list of “what it fits” has 90 models, but does not actually include the 2009 Outback 3.0R Limited 5AT. The shop manager noted this specific model is different somehow.

• 3 weeks later...

Calipers and rotors and pads from a GT will fit. Only as a whole system. You'd probably need new parking brake guts too. From the GT as well.

A simpler option may be just enough to please you. Try a semi metallic or some ceramic/semi metallic hybrid pad for more bite. I'm sure you'll get the best quality possible. SS brake hoses may help. Yours are likely old anyway. Insist a complete brake fluid exchange is performed regardless of what you decide on. Not just a simple bleed.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

No, you do not need the parking brake guts. I did the LGT brakes on my OBXT, which used the same setup as non-turbo cars, (11.5" dual piston/vented front, 11.5" single piston/solid rear). LGT brakes are 12.3" dual piston/vented front, 11.5" single piston/vented rear. To do the upgrade, you need the calipers w/brackets and matching rotors; the mounting points, sensors, and parking brake all remain the same.

Just change up to the front brakes, the rear brake solid->vented change won't really be that much of a difference on a street car.

Just know you can use 16in rims with the bigger brakes. From what I've read.

Some people run 16in rims for winter.

Yes for the 12.3" LGT front brakes, you're stuck with going to 17in or larger wheels; plan accordingly.

the smaller brakes will be fine with 16" wheels.

No, you do not need the parking brake guts. I did the LGT brakes on my OBXT, which used the same setup as non-turbo cars, (11.5" dual piston/vented front, 11.5" single piston/solid rear). LGT brakes are 12.3" dual piston/vented front, 11.5" single piston/vented rear. To do the upgrade, you need the calipers w/brackets and matching rotors; the mounting points, sensors, and parking brake all remain the same.

Just change up to the front brakes, the rear brake solid->vented change won't really be that much of a difference on a street car.

Ah, got it. Sorry for such a n00b question. Still in the planning and budgeting phase and haven’t totally figured out what I’m doing yet. (Not for lack of mechanics aptitude, but lack of experience with Subaru’s.)

Archived