LegacyGT.com

Need exhaust help!!

hello im new here and i came here for help. my name is Floyd and i drive a 2009 subaru legacy 2.5i special edition 5 speed manual. my birthday is coming up and i am going to want to get a new exhaust for my car but i do not know what to look for exactly. i am new to subarus so idk what to look for exactly. like will the gt exhausts fit or will they not. what will sound the best or will give me the most power or easiest to put on. i just need help so if you can help private message me or reply here. THanks in advance:)

Welcome to the forum.

The GT exhaust is different then a 2.5i.

You may find that the mid pipe back may be the same, try looking for the part numbers on a dealers website under Parts. Most dealers have a online ordering for OEM parts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Like Max said I am pretty sure that stock exhaust from the midpipe back is the same from a GT to a N/A 2.5i. My 2008 2.5i was in bad need of a replacement midpipe (the rear pipe with "Y" split) due to rust at the Y. I was not looking for any upgrade or change in sound just a more or less stock replacement. I posted on a local Facebook Legacy GT club page asking if anyone had a stock take off they would be willing to part with. Ended up picking up a decent stock midpipe and two good mufflers for $20.

There are aftermarket kits but I am unsure of their quality.

Oh, and as for replacement over the counter parts I can tell you that the midpipe/Y-pipes they have listed for a Legacy they will fit but since it is made to fit the Outback as well the "Y" section where it goes underneath the rear diff hangs at least an inch lower and looks goofy on a Legacy.

With a N/A engine there is not much that will give any additional power. Some aftermarket kits may sound diff or louder. I was looking for stock sound and easiest replacement so the $20 take off unit that was sitting behind someone's garage for 6 years ended up being the cheapest and easiest route.

i just want to make the car louder and i have a friend who bought an aftermarket exhaust which was for the gt but he managed to get everything to fit like i stated i just want the car to be a little more louder i have a custom intake on it which really opens it up and its loud but its still really quiet

Like Max said I am pretty sure that stock exhaust from the midpipe back is the same from a GT to a N/A 2.5i. My 2008 2.5i was in bad need of a replacement midpipe (the rear pipe with "Y" split) due to rust at the Y. I was not looking for any upgrade or change in sound just a more or less stock replacement. I posted on a local Facebook Legacy GT club page asking if anyone had a stock take off they would be willing to part with. Ended up picking up a decent stock midpipe and two good mufflers for $20.

There are aftermarket kits but I am unsure of their quality.

Oh, and as for replacement over the counter parts I can tell you that the midpipe/Y-pipes they have listed for a Legacy they will fit but since it is made to fit the Outback as well the "Y" section where it goes underneath the rear diff hangs at least an inch lower and looks goofy on a Legacy.

With a N/A engine there is not much that will give any additional power. Some aftermarket kits may sound diff or louder. I was looking for stock sound and easiest replacement so the $20 take off unit that was sitting behind someone's garage for 6 years ended up being the cheapest and easiest route.

so if from the midpipe down is the same from the gt to the 2.5i would i be able to put on a nameless axleback or a different catback then?

so if from the midpipe down is the same from the gt to the 2.5i would i be able to put on a nameless axleback or a different catback then?

I meant to say that I believe the mid pipe to tail section is a different meeting point. 98% positive they are different.

Just to get the Subie rumble I, again, second Max Capacity. Just unbolt the tail end and start it or hack the mufflers off as you'll replace them anyway it seems.

I meant to say that I believe the mid pipe to tail section is a different meeting point. 98% positive they are different.

Just to get the Subie rumble I, again, second Max Capacity. Just unbolt the tail end and start it or hack the mufflers off as you'll replace them anyway it seems.

so what do you think would be the best thing to do

Have you removed the mufflers and started the car ? Some of us have used muffler deletes.

Here are mine I made on a goof for Cherry. I utilized flanges off a spare Y-pip and then used some flex pip to some cheap crome turn-down tips...wire hangers to the stock muffler heat shield.

\

no i have not done this

Check out the sound byte here.

CKE SSP product information and sales : chris.ckessp@gmail.com

Good exhaust for legacy is any jdm exhaust muffler, for example STI Genome or HKS Silent HiPower. Each model has its own sound. But it all works well with sport resonator in middle section.

I had both Genomes and HKS. There are many videos on youtube how it sounds.

Archived