LegacyGT.com

Snow Handling (LGT)

Much of the handling in the snow will depend on the tires you have on the car. The tires are, IMHO, the achilles heel of the car. Certainly, the Subie's AWD will help considerably and if you have never had an AWD vehicle before, you are likely to notice a big difference because of that alone. However, the RE-92s are an all-season tire and not a particularly good one at that. So, if you replace them with another, better, all-season tire, that will likely improve performance. If you go with a dedicated winter tire, that will improve performance even more.

There are many threads devoted to tires here. If you decide to replace tires, do a search, and you will learn alot that will help you make a good decision.

Good luck and enjoy.

EDIT: for more on the RE-92s in the snow, click here.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

forgive my ignorance for i am new to the AWD world but i think i may have an idea why it is bad to pull the hand brake to slide but would like to confirm it so please explain why it is a bad idea.

forgive my ignorance for i am new to the AWD world but i think i may have an idea why it is bad to pull the hand brake to slide but would like to confirm it so please explain why it is a bad idea.

When you pull the handbrake, the parking brakes on the rear wheels will try to lock up the rears. This is great for FWD to get the car to spin, but your AWD center differential will bind and cause all sorts of grief in the drivetrain.

Unless you have an STI, which apparently opens the center diff when the handbrake is pulled. Cool, eh?

I have also never had snow tires on a car since the early 80's You don't need them with AWD. Last winter I had the RE92's. I ski every weekend in VT and have driven 5 hours in a snow storm up RT 91 from Okemo to Burke Mt and back. I have to many story's to post here about how the AWD in my 3 Leagacy GT's have performed in all conditions. If your smart and use your head you will be fine with the RE92's. BTW my car had/has Cobb AP all last winter, over 300HP and on issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The most important thing I learned, or found out rather, comming from FF/FR Cars is that over all, The Car itself acts exactly the same Inertia wise. It's the ability to give the car gas and pull it through situations that FF/FR cars would continue their over/understeer that you learn what the difference is and how to drive it.

Yeah, you can make fishtails with an AWD car, it's not hard.. however, the ability for simple throttle play to correct the slide is incredible. With AWD cars remember it's not so much the breaking that gets you through, it's the throttle control.

Turn the wheel the direction you want to go, allow the wheels to get grip (Ie, don't break or panic and cut the wheel) and just gently give it gas till she goes where you're pointing. Remember, Ice and snow are slick no matter what sort of drive train you have. :)

I also recommend the parking lot training sessions.

I ran the stock tires last winter and I thought the car did great....

+1

I bought my Subaru at the end of last winter and drove it through a couple of snowstorms. It handled quite well with the stock RE92's.

Sorry, Funny, you call VA a snow state. LOL Come to the great white north...

I'm very sorry, but I'm still laughing... I think I'll laughing about this for a few day's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Empty parking lot.

Fresh snowfall.

Skidpad fun. :)

Play carefully. Learn how the car handles under throttle, braking, turning, all of the above simultaneously.

Um, don't yank on the handbrake like you would a fwd car. :)

So, what's the correct method for initiating a Bat Turn in a Legacy? :icon_cool Engaging the handbrake won't just lockup the rear wheels?

I'm very sorry, but I'm still laughing... I think I'll laughing about this for a few day's.

I plan to move to Florida where it never snows period. It snows in Northern Virginia every year. Some years it will drop more than a foot of snow, some just inches. Either way I find it that the most dangerous snow is the kind around these parts because it turns to ice.

I am from the siberian side of Russia so I've seen my share of snow.

When you pull the handbrake, the parking brakes on the rear wheels will try to lock up the rears. This is great for FWD to get the car to spin, but your AWD center differential will bind and cause all sorts of grief in the drivetrain.

Unless you have an STI, which apparently opens the center diff when the handbrake is pulled. Cool, eh?

Ah...so just release the clutch at the same time you're pulling the parking brake, no?

I'm a Maritimer living in Maryland. I find it much more dangerous here than in Nova Scotia. It doesn't snow much, but when it does, there are a lot of worn-out all season tires on the road. Last year after the first snow, people were clearing off their cars with egg flippers, for crying out loud, then slipping and sliding their way into the ditch after having cleared off the 5% of the windshield they thought they needed to clear to see the road. Many, many opportunities for someone to run into you here. The better tires you have, the better able you are to accelerate out of harm's way!

I'd much rather have pure snow over the mix and freezing rain that md and va get.

^ Mixed precip is just plain bad business, no matter how experienced you are at winter driving, or what kind of equipment you're riding on. :(

And definitely, if you live in an area where you don't see much frozen precip. (of any form), be tremendously careful out there when the stuff starts falling or has made it to-ground. Not only does it take a while for people who have experienced such situations to gain back their "winter legs" (which often happens here in NE-Ohio - despite our routine winter snowfalls, etc., the first of the season ALWAYS catch people "out"), but you'll also see a number of first-time-drivers out on the roads, and, as pellerin so well pointed out, there will be many who are unprepared, equipment-wise.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

This is a common misconception.

AWD helps the car accelerate from a stop, and can help with handling. It does nothing for braking.

It does nothing to increase traction with the road; it merely makes better use of what is available when accelerating.

Snow tires increase traction in snow and related driving conditions. All-season tires do tolerably well in these conditions--far, far better than summer-only tires--but nowhere near as well as winter tires.

For those who operate their cars in snow or other winter conditions (slush, ice, etc.), winter tires are a wise investment. It takes some money up front to buy them, but they don't end up costing much more money over the life of the car. Remember, any miles that are logged on the snow tires are not logged on the standard tires.

Not spending money on snow tires, if you drive regularly in winter conditions, is penny-wise but pound-foolish.

I have also never had snow tires on a car since the early 80's You don't need them with AWD.

Archived