LegacyGT.com

Intermittent crank and no start, strange sounds

Good morning all,

My 2016 Legacy (2.5L, CVT) will occasionally crank but not start. It will putt, but will die instantly. Sometimes its outside in cold or warm, sometimes its in the garage. Last bout took at least 10 cranks and it did not really respond to "key bumping" the fuel pump. But it hasn't acted up for a few days. I run regular fuel. Id say this occurs about once every month in a half.

My 1999 did the same thing. I'd have to mash the gas pedal and crank till it fired. I always ran premium in that car. But that car had almost 300k, not 20k.

Also, sometimes while the 2016 car is parked I hear a whirring/electric motor sound coming from the drivers side rear of the car, like the fuel pump is running on its own. Wondering if this noise is related perhaps.

Anyone else having this issue?

My 2016 Legacy (2.5L, CVT) will occasionally crank but not start.

My 1999 did the same thing.

That should tell you something.

... sometimes while the 2016 car is parked I hear a whirring/electric motor sound coming from the drivers side rear of the car, like the fuel pump is running on its own.

2016 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 8.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thanks for the response, I figured that the noise was normal.

I am not sure what to make out of "that should tell you something."

I don't drive like a moron, usually have long parking queue so the engine isn't screaming hot when I shut it off... and generally fuel at nicer stations with good fuel... BP etc. And, it does not seem to matter tank to tank whats in there. I just won't start once in awhile, no foreseeable reason.

Moreso, checking to see if its a Subaru thing or an operator error of some kind that I'm not aware of.

Thanks for the response, I figured that the noise was normal.

I am not sure what to make out of "that should tell you something."

I don't drive like a moron, usually have long parking queue so the engine isn't screaming hot when I shut it off... and generally fuel at nicer stations with good fuel... BP etc. And, it does not seem to matter tank to tank whats in there. I just won't start once in awhile, no foreseeable reason.

Moreso, checking to see if its a Subaru thing or an operator error of some kind that I'm not aware of.

I think based on your description of the same issue on two different gen cars that it seems like it could be attributed to something in your situation - bad fuel in your region, some behavior or habit that's having an affect on your car? its difficult to say - i would suggest since your car is pretty new to get it to the dealer and tell them about the problem - you should also request the new ECM update and TCM update - i know even with a new battery my car cranks less now with the newer ECM update for the charging logic and I just did the TCM update and i think it makes the CVT perform much better although may be different for you due to different cvt model.

Oltzer, appreciate your response. Don't know what updates are done. Last dealer maintenance was at 6k for the first oil change. Will check with them if updates could be done for the next one.

Archived