LegacyGT.com

Hard(Factory) reset of ECU

Anyone ever done, or had to, completely reset their ECU?

Recently had the car apart replacing headgaskets, and also changed out spark plugs, injectors, fuel pump, and TGV delete. Battery was out and AP disconnected the entire time. I’ve checked all fuses and connectors and all is good. AP and cable are good, checked them with another vehicle, but I have the Christmas Tree of flashing lights.

Any suggestions, hints, directions appreciated!

Worst comes to worst, guessing I’m having it towed to the dealership...

You need a tune to remove the TGV cel. I don't believe you can do it without Access-tuner which isn't available to the public anymore.

Well I have heard of people leaving the TGV motors plugged in but I am not sure how that works.

Even if its connected to the computer, to stay on, and then plugged into the car, it isn’t recognized.

When the battery was removed, there were CEL. So I’m worried the ECU now thinks they need to be there.

Double check fuse 4 in the block in the dash and fuse 12 under the hood, those are the two that send power to the OBDII port. While you're in there, make sure you see battery voltage between the fuse and chassis ground when when the ignition is keyed on, just to make sure it's not a wiring issue.

Battery is over 12.

Yellow top. Not even a year old.

9.3 was the reading I could get at the OBD port.

Perhaps a wire(s) is pinched & short which is pulling down the ECM voltage? or ECM voltage is floating, becuase its isn't properly ground?

Pins 8 and 16 (the top and bottom row end pins on one side of the connector) should both show battery voltage with the key on- one is constant power, the other goes through the ignition relay. Those are both powered straight from a fuse rather than through the ECU, so ideally, you should see battery voltage if you have a good chassis ground reference when you're measuring.

Generally automotive ECM do not need to be reset. Unplugging the power is usually good enough. Did you try to reprogram the ECM and lose power during the programming? Did you disconnect the battery during the engine R & R?

The symptoms you are describing are of a fried ECM or ground issue or shorted connection? If you disconnect the battery, I would have a hard time believe that the ECM just happen to brick itself just after reassembling the engine.

Archived