LegacyGT.com

07 legacy gt low compression CYL 1

Im thinking of putting a new short block in the car it only has 116k miles and is rust free

The shop that im doing it from is swapping short block

Turbo

Clutch

Timimg belt, water pump, gaskets

Heads getting redone

They gave me a quote of $5000 for everything. What do you guys think ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still that's pretty cheap.

VF52 is about $1200

Sounds like your getting someone else's old short block that they will rebuild.

Is that with a tune for the vf52 ?

I gather you have a 3" down pipe ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Still that's pretty cheap.

VF52 is about $1200

Sounds like your getting someone else's old short block that they will rebuild.

Is that with a tune for the vf52 ?

I gather you have a 3" down pipe ?

No they are ordering it from a company that pretty much does the same thing but they give it a 1 year 12k miles warranty, and my vf52 was $700 brand new, and yes a have a full cat less down-pipe 3”

I hope they would stick to the quote if you did it and they do you right. To me the round number of $5k indicates to me that they might have started estimating costs and just stopped getting detailed and feel that $5k should cover it... I would try to get a parts list so you know what you are getting, and it's not cheap timing components or similar...

I hope they would stick to the quote if you did it and they do you right. To me the round number of $5k indicates to me that they might have started estimating costs and just stopped getting detailed and feel that $5k should cover it... I would try to get a parts list so you know what you are getting, and it's not cheap timing components or similar...

Wel the shop owner owns the same car and he did the same route he’s doing on my car and he listed all the parts and all the cost and for everything after the tune is $5600.

Seems low but if you trust him and he is going to warranty it why not. Just as a side note I spend around 10K for a built motor and heads before labor. I'd ask for the info of where the SB is being ordered from and all the parts. Make sure they are not reusing anything, i bet thats where some of the savings is coming from. Especially if the car spun a bearing, you need all new oiling components, avcs etc etc etc. It all adds up very quickly.

Seems low but if you trust him and he is going to warranty it why not. Just as a side note I spend around 10K for a built motor and heads before labor. I'd ask for the info of where the SB is being ordered from and all the parts. Make sure they are not reusing anything, i bet thats where some of the savings is coming from. Especially if the car spun a bearing, you need all new oiling components, avcs etc etc etc. It all adds up very quickly.

Was it worth it spending so much on the car ?

The way I look at it is...

This power train/platform is too similar (it is pretty different, but not potential/power wise) to a brand new STi to warrant going from 10k LGT to 40k for a quasi well optioned new STi.

I wouldn't want to touch a 2.0t of the WRX out of warranty. I have no good basis for why though.

To me, eh, not really. still working out the kinks.

plus i have another car itch for a Camaro SS so im kinda regretting building the car. But if its a car you love, by all means.

Archived