LegacyGT.com

Low MPG

Rather than speculate, why not look and see for yourself? 33F/32R is typical for Gen 6 Legacy, but the placarded value is definitive for each vehicle.

I was away from the car to confirm, but do remember that being the range, which the previous poster seems to be within.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intrigued and need to ask how many miles on your car to prompt a MAF change?

I just picked up a 2015 Outback and the MPG for my around town driving looks like it won't be anywhere near what is illustrated by Subaru. I've owned two older Outbacks (90's models) and they were not gas sippers and I really did expect better city MPG.

Does this apply to USA cars --

"ONLINE: JUN 05, 2018 In early March, Subaru said Yoshinaga would remain as CEO to lead efforts to strengthen quality control, while naming Nakamura as its new president.

The automaker said in a report submitted to the government in April that mileage and emissions data for new cars were systematically rigged at one of its domestic plants and that the malpractice may have started around 2002."

Well 21 mixed is well below EPA and the fix I did resolved the issue. I just drove 756 miles at an average speed of 73 mph and got a calculated 29.7 mpg... same trip last year under similar conditions managed a calculated 27.6 mpg. So yes, changing my MAF sensor resolved my complaint of crap mpg.

... ... I really did expect better city MPG.

For a reality check based on a large real-world dataset, see the www.fuelly.com web site. A significant number of Gen 6 Legacy owners manage to meet or exceed the EPA estimates.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Intrigued and need to ask how many miles on your car to prompt a MAF change?

I just picked up a 2015 Outback and the MPG for my around town driving looks like it won't be anywhere near what is illustrated by Subaru. I've owned two older Outbacks (90's models) and they were not gas sippers and I really did expect better city MPG.

Does this apply to USA cars --

"ONLINE: JUN 05, 2018 In early March, Subaru said Yoshinaga would remain as CEO to lead efforts to strengthen quality control, while naming Nakamura as its new president.

The automaker said in a report submitted to the government in April that mileage and emissions data for new cars were systematically rigged at one of its domestic plants and that the malpractice may have started around

2002."

car had winter drivability issues since I got it at 19K, I finally resolved the issue at 40k.

what promoted maf change was winter time... I started smelling raw fuel when starting up on colder days and my average went from 28.7 down to 20.1. So I got out my bt adapter and loaded up obdII scan tool software. MAF at idle was intermittently reading in excess of 5grams a second at warm idle, fuel trim was pegged at 35%, and I was having issues like car stalling out when coming to a stop, etc... dealer could not diagnose p0171 set and pending. I ordered up a new MAF (Subaru DENSO OEM part) and plugged it in. Immediately the raw gas smell went away, fuel trim was no longer pegged at +35%. Fuel economy returned to a respectable 28 mpg in winter time.

Since this is on a 6th gen thread I would have guessed that these cars would not be needing a MAF in such a short period of time. I've replaced MAF's on cars but normally they are much older with many, many miles on them.

You mention bt adapter and am I to assume that none of my ODBII readers will plug in without a bt adapter?

car had winter drivability issues since I got it at 19K, I finally resolved the issue at 40k.

what promoted maf change was winter time... I started smelling raw fuel when starting up on colder days and my average went from 28.7 down to 20.1. So I got out my bt adapter and loaded up obdII scan tool software. MAF at idle was intermittently reading in excess of 5grams a second at warm idle, fuel trim was pegged at 35%, and I was having issues like car stalling out when coming to a stop, etc... dealer could not diagnose p0171 set and pending. I ordered up a new MAF (Subaru DENSO OEM part) and plugged it in. Immediately the raw gas smell went away, fuel trim was no longer pegged at +35%. Fuel economy returned to a respectable 28 mpg in winter time.

What’s your fuel trim now?

How long has it been since you reset the ECM?

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

What’s your fuel trim now?

How long has it been since you reset the ECM?

fuel trims are 0-3%...right where they should be. dealer did that during one visit... 0 drivability issues since I changed maf…

I use a panlong and torque to diag and repair car...

Archived