LegacyGT.com

Low MPG

I also find the Eyesight is too aggressive, so I've used it maybe 5 times. I get mid-high 30's (car calculated) consistently, and I am 80% hwy/20% city. I use AC and keep my windows up. I ease onto the throttle and ease on the brakes - I too play the MPG game. I am 1 mile above sea level and my 25 minute commute is fairly flat. I work 6a-2:30p M-F so traffic is USUALLY flowing well.

Tank #1 at 4mi

Tank #2 at 564mi 33.6mpg

Tank #3 at 790mi 36.1mpg

Tank #4 at 1126mi 35.9mpg

Tank #5 at 1642mi 36.2mpg

Tank #6 at 2014mi 36.7mpg

Tank #7 at 2642mi 38.1mpg

Tank #8 at 3067mi 36.3mpg

The Eyesight behavior is probably a compromise, here it's not aggressive enough so it's resulting in people cutting me off unless I give it an extra hint.

You must really have the granny style driving though to get those figures. Maybe I get a bit worse figures because I have an Outback, but that shouldn't make that much of a difference.

453747.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You must really have the granny style driving though to get those figures. Maybe I get a bit worse figures because I have an Outback, but that shouldn't make that much of a difference.

I'm not sure that "granny style" is completely fair. :p SubieN8 indicated that he does 80% highway driving and travels between 6am and 2:30pm when traffic is light .... add that to "sensible" (not granny) driving and I think his mpg figures are quite realistic. On my regular road trips in my 3.6R where I am driving "sensibly " (not granny) 90% on highway, I can achieve 32 mpg.

I live in New Orleans ... I would expect better MPG than most states.

Please explain. Low elevation is generally correlated with higher fuel consumption: higher air density = higher peak power available from the engine, higher pumping losses, higher aerodynamic drag.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Please explain. Low elevation is generally correlated with higher fuel consumption: higher air density = higher peak power available from the engine, higher pumping losses, higher aerodynamic drag.

Right, for some reason I got that thinking in reverse.

You better hope that car floats:lol:

That's the reason why we paid premium auto insurance here and houses.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

You better hope that car floats:lol:

Every car floats, just some a little bit longer than others. ;)

My father-in-law was arguing with his sons whether turkeys can swim. They figured not. He figured they could, just that they were "blame limited".

You are obviously my long lost twin and we were separated at birth :lol: I do all those things as well. I especially smiled when you said "I make it a game to see if I can use my brakes as little as possible" .... because I used that exact expression to a friend of mine just recently.

Haha :woowoo:

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Install a bilge pump or two and then we'll see how long you can stay afloat!

:)

I grew up with a 10' flat-bottom named "Kid Crabber". Me and my cut-off detergent bottle were the bilge pump! I guess that wouldn't work very well in a car, though...:lol:

'15 FB25

I too have been disappointed. I realized I'd get worse mileage city driving than my corolla (23mpg). So far its 19/20 at best...pure city stop and go...30 mph average speed with some highway on weekends. On a recent trip up the turnpike (65-70 mph) I got 26. About 2K miles on the car.

The estimated mileage is a joke. I guess I could get if I fill up, tow car to turn pike, leave windows up, perhaps have air off, start driving, immediately fill up up at exit...oh yea..and do all this in area with no ethol gas available at the turnpike entrance and exit!

lol

The estimated mileage is a joke.

Many owners achieve the EPA estimates. See http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/legacy?engineconfig_id=17. In my case, the lifetime average for my 2015 Legacy (~36,000 miles, ~50/50 city/highway) is 30.1 mpg. In most cases, the primary determinant of fuel economy relative to EPA estimates is the driver's right foot ... on both the gas pedal and the brake pedal.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I too have been disappointed. I realized I'd get worse mileage city driving than my corolla (23mpg). So far its 19/20 at best...pure city stop and go...30 mph average speed with some highway on weekends. On a recent trip up the turnpike (65-70 mph) I got 26. About 2K miles on the car.

The estimated mileage is a joke. I guess I could get if I fill up, tow car to turn pike, leave windows up, perhaps have air off, start driving, immediately fill up up at exit...oh yea..and do all this in area with no ethol gas available at the turnpike entrance and exit!

lol

It has to be your driving! I get a lot better mpg on My H6.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Andrealaplume. Does gas in your area suck? Tires infalted ok?

I get 21mpg in city traffic with my 3.6. Just did a trip to NC and back. Avg mpg was 25mpg with four people, loaded trunk and max a/c. I did get 28.3mpg on one leg of the trip where I tried my best to keep it between 70/75 mph. I did my best not to do 85/90 the whole way which is what I normally do.

Andrealaplume. Does gas in your area suck? Tires infalted ok?

If s/he got 23 on a corolla, I think its mostly the right foot. The legacy has a bigger engine and a heavier body than a corolla, plus the AWD. I'm not too surprised he is seeing 19/20mpg.

I am having the same issue with my 2014. Subaru dealer says normal and I say bull schizzlle..

Has anyone, anywhere ever taken any car into any dealer with a complaint about gas mileage and been told anything else? :lol:

Well 21 mixed is well below EPA and the fix I did resolved the issue. I just drove 756 miles at an average speed of 73 mph and got a calculated 29.7 mpg... same trip last year under similar conditions managed a calculated 27.6 mpg. So yes, changing my MAF sensor resolved my complaint of crap mpg.

I usually run about 35psi in the tires.

MPG city is usually 18-20, maybe 21 if lucky although for some reason I couldnt figure out, 15-17 has popped up a couple of times which I consider low..

On the highway trips I see MPG more around 28-30, maybe 31 a time or two, although I've also seen 25 a couple of times. Those were on some pretty windy days with crosswinds.

Doesn't the door sticker call for 32-34?

Rather than speculate, why not look and see for yourself? 33F/32R is typical for Gen 6 Legacy, but the placarded value is definitive for each vehicle.

spacer.png

In smaller cars with relatively low-profile tires, I don’t know if anyone would ever recommend tire inflation pressures LESS than what’s on the door placard. So long as the tires aren’t extremely aggressive and harsh or the driver isn’t extremely sensitive to harshness, it is my opinion that the placard-listed pressure be used as a number in the bottom of the band.

In other words, if the pressure listed was, say, 32#, front and rear, I would personally use that as my lower limit; I would refill tires that were at this pressure to my desire pressure, which, for the Legacy and FXT, is 2-4# higher.

For others, I refill to a # or two above the door placard, to give them some margin to the TPMS low pressure warning. That way, they won’t have to figure out what’s “wrong” when the light illuminates on the first cold morning of Fall...hopefully.

'15 FB25

Archived