LegacyGT.com

Starting to Overland

Well I got a 1995 Land Rover Discovery. It's not just any Discovery though, it's got a 6.2L non-turbo Detroit Diesel mated to the Land Rover 5MT. My uncle bought this back in 2014 and it pretty much sat and got trailered to various shops to have different work done and at one point the ARB bumper was stolen and then recovered on Craigslist. It ended up sitting in his yard for a year without being touched for a year. Guess he got tired of seeing it and knew I was interested in it so he told me if I come with a truck and trailer to tow it away it mine. Well with how much time off I have with my career I couldn't refuse a fun project! Brought it home and it was a little bit green as it probably hadnt been washed since he bought it in 2014. I didn't take it off the trailer till I replaced the seized starter and got 2 new batteries for it, and then it fired right up. Once I had it driving around the neighborhood I got it registered and insured so I could drive it farther and test it a bit more. Seems like a good rig so far. Took it on some fire service roads with some light offroading and heard some weird clunking, oh one of the rear shocks is broken :spin:. Replaced both rear shocks with Old Man Emu units. Driving around a bit turns out the speedometer is erratic, the wiring for the electric fans is a major fire hazard, and the offroad lights in the rack have a bad ground. So I redid the fans and off-road lights wiring using a fuse box so there weren't a bunch of "add a fuse" things coming off the battery. Still need to change the wiring for the fans to have thermal switches to turn them on and off with an in cab cutoff if I end up fording rivers if I'm brave enough. I took apart the dash, more mess of wires that I'll need to address at some point under there but from the speed sensor to the dash the wiring has good continuity and everything in the gauge cluster has good continuity so I'm feeling pretty stumped at this point as to why the speedometer doesn't work, the Odometer clicks over accurately so it's obviously getting some sense of how fast I am traveling. Oh well I've got a gps speedometer on my phone so I'll just use that if I'm ever in doubt. Made a quick run to the grocery store and on the way home lost all power steering, looks like the pump to reservoir hose split (sorry no pictures was really cold and I didn't have another piece of hose so I taped it up real quick). Turns out 3/4 power steering hose is really hard to find. AutoZone and O'Reilly had nothing for oil use in that size, tried to force some 5/8 on but that was a waste of time. Napa came through with some hydraulic hose though so now it shouldn't leak power steering fluid anymore, which should also mean it shouldn't leak any fluids anymore. Taking it camping this weekend. Hoping to rebuild the wood center of the roof rack and then put a RTT on it as well as a North Shore style Mt Bike rack and just use it as an adventure/bike rig.b76d7952013b85c56f5fb56db8f2bb38.jpg442d2480339190fcba7ab8040b4e7201.jpgf4d3a67c549be3e36916cb4ea8d93946.jpg50faf2af4ebb9576cb45b241ebf0f50b.jpg24103ca0619e2eb83e06674d82edc276.jpga437f888d9c86bd2766f14257213bf81.jpg39886f9aea41cc446b503a9db1c50075.jpg

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

British cars - they aren't really broken but they aren't really fully working either most of the time. So now you'd be quite busy. Oil leaks is just their way of marking domain.

And they do have some strange solutions in British cars that can make you go WTF.

At least it's not a series II 4-cylinder diesel - that bastard has a crankshaft with 3 bearings that you have to replace pretty frequently since it's a diesel conversion of a gasoline engine.

My father has a series II 110FC so that's why I know a bit of the quirks you may run into.

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...
I broke it. Parts are on order and should be in tomorrow and then I won't be stuck in Sandpoint Idaho anymore. Caliper broke at it's mounts, dust shield is toast, and the soft line got cut. 7d088be51b1f2c0f8abd17beef1c23c9.jpg

2005 Vader Wagon

And the adventure continues. Blew the headgasket on my way home. Threw the drive belts for the alternator and water pump/power steering. Makes sense why it didn't show high temperature till it was way too late due to the location of the temp sensor. Oh well, guess that means it's time to rebuild it and clean up all the hose routing in the engine bay.

2005 Vader Wagon

• 2 weeks later...
Got a ton done today. Started with the engine fully together with nothing undone from when I ended up on the side of the freeway a few weeks ago. Got all the accessories undone, the intake and exhaust manifolds off and then got the heads pulled and loaded into the back of the legacy to take to a machine shop. The headgaskets look good but the passenger side cylinders were full of water so hopefully it's not a cracked head which apparently is common on the 6.2L GM diesel. 4 hours gloves on to cleaned up and headed home. Nice that I won't have to deal with timing when putting it back together.41189101e9ed70a60c510343f6069080.jpg91622f37eab96e9b01b0effd674174cc.jpg53986945409858e70f420cb3fdba0d8a.jpg0d12e75d282f2cfc4f8db84814338326.jpg951080da6940feb4ed4e5a4999cb2e74.jpg

2005 Vader Wagon

time for a cummins.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't look at 4BTs on Craigslist. It may still happen. Dropped the heads at the machine shop this morning and the guy at the shop said pretty much every 6.2 head he's seen has been cracked and reman heads are around $700 a side.
Nice. I have a fever for FJ62's myself.
I probably would have gotten a Toyota if my uncle hadn't offered this to me. I'm an FJ 80 fan though. Little more refinement but the 62's and 40's are awesome.

2005 Vader Wagon

I'd be lying if I said I didn't look at 4BTs on Craigslist. It may still happen. Dropped the heads at the machine shop this morning and the guy at the shop said pretty much every 6.2 head he's seen has been cracked and reman heads are around $700 a side. I probably would have gotten a Toyota if my uncle hadn't offered this to me. I'm an FJ 80 fan though. Little more refinement but the 62's and 40's are awesome.

Euro versions sometimes have a 5-cylinder TDi engine.

453747.png

I'd be lying if I said I didn't look at 4BTs on Craigslist. It may still happen. Dropped the heads at the machine shop this morning and the guy at the shop said pretty much every 6.2 head he's seen has been cracked and reman heads are around $700 a side. I probably would have gotten a Toyota if my uncle hadn't offered this to me. I'm an FJ 80 fan though. Little more refinement but the 62's and 40's are awesome.

I wouldn’t give $700 for a brand new 6.2L GM diesel long block, much less heads.

Cummins 4BT, Chevy 5.3L Vortec, or send that whole hunk of shit to the scrap yard. Those are your best choices, with option #3 being the best.

Gas engine definitely won't be going back in. That would be way too much work to convert it back to a gas truck. If I can find a 4bt and an adapter plate for the trans I'd love to go that route. Haven't heard back from the machine shop yet on the condition of the heads. Hoping that no news is good news and that I'll get a call later this week to come pick them up and that they are ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

2005 Vader Wagon

• 1 month later...
Rebuilt the time bomb, it's doing good so far. Put 300 miles on it this weekend to bring the post rebuild total to about 700. Only issue I ran into was the starter motor occasionally wouldn't work. Of course that was after we'd already gone over the pass and we're getting close to our first camp spot. This weekend I went along with a couple friends with Toyotas and another friend who recently picked up an LR3 SE HD.f377158826b3c13c874499c7de5ab062.jpg7cf1498a7bb0acdfb0ae8005459b15d5.jpg4db15b5b351c2bfba352a023721c6189.jpga51ebd26477c9b6c12176d39abc6583a.jpg867c39806d7e8679e718c889f14b04a0.jpge67a311c794ae8b44f6e374541398908.jpg90149b975df4bcca9f2f5fe64766c2e6.jpg

2005 Vader Wagon

Rebuilt the time bomb, it's doing good so far. Put 300 miles on it this weekend to bring the post rebuild total to about 700. Only issue I ran into was the starter motor occasionally wouldn't work. Of course that was after we'd already gone over the pass and we're getting close to our first camp spot. This weekend I went along with a couple friends with Toyotas and another friend who recently picked up an LR3 SE HD.

The Lucas Ghost is wandering around.

453747.png

Archived