LegacyGT.com

Well my two day old LGT did.

It was late and some kids ambushed me.

Took it home and washed it off with water and a cloth but it was late / dark and I couldn't really see much. I was wondering if there is anything that I should to make sure the paint doesn't get "stained"

Will post pictures of the car before the egging this afternoon.

A good cleaning will get the goop off, but you may still have a problem -- and a bad one. My car got egged the other day (not the sube). I immediately washed the goop off, but the force of the egg shell hitting the car actually fractured the paint. (OCDetails talks about this in another thread.)

Now I have a circular fracture pattern in the paint that will not polish out. The door must be repainted (otherwise, eventually the door will rust under the cracks, and the paint will fail there.)

The collapse of the shell -- with about a quarter pound x speed of kinetic energy behind it -- puts thousands of tiny shell-daggers in contact with your paint. Check it out in the daylight. I'd be surprised if your paint isn't substantially damaged. Mine was.

Sorry, dude.

Looonnngg time ago I had an egg fight with a friend at his house during a party. He left it on overnight, and the egg white ate into his paint. Never came out.

Make sure you get it all out. Maybe take it to a detailer.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

This happened to my WRX (WRB) and that scratch in the paint was always visible. The egg and shell came off, but the scratch never went away. Horrible. Good luck with your car...hopefully it's not a dark color...otherwise, it will always be visible (unless somehow, yours didn't get scratched).

Getting egged is about the worst thing that can happen to paint. The egg itself isn't the main concern. The shell is the problem. That shell can shatter the clear coat. Shattered clear coat is not fixable with a polisher. The area has to be basically repainted and cleared to fix the problem. You may not think about it when you are cracking an egg in the kitchen, but those shells are actually very hard and very sharp. Check the paint very closely for dents and small cuts. Sometimes it will look like a baseball hit your windshield and the paint will spiderweb out like that. I doubt it will on our soft paint, but I wouldn't be surprised to see damage to the paint and sheet metal.

It's good that you got it off right away. If you can't get to it right away then the best way to get egg off is to lay a small hand towel soaked in warm vinegar over the area. Resoak the towel and apply as necessary. The acids in the vinegar will remove any trace of the egg. Wash the area with a very soapy wash when you are done. The soap will neutralize the acids in the vinegar and you are all set for repolishing and waxing the area. Hopefully the damage isn't extensive on the paint. Good luck.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

$$$ It just depends on the amount of damage. If you are looking at having a dent removed as well as repainting and clearing a section of paint (including feathering the color and clear to match the rest of the panel) then you are probably looking at about $350 from any respectable shop.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

You should check out http://www.paintscratch.com for repainting. I'm in the process of repainting the rear bumper on my car right now. I can't really vouch for how well it will come out because I haven't put on the clearcoat yet, but I'll post pics when I'm done with the whole thing. So far the basecoats look like a good match, but I can't really tell since it's still flat looking (have to wait for the clearcoat). After that I'll have to wait a couple days before I use some rubbing compound on it.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Archived