LegacyGT.com

Would you buy a flood title Legacy?

Rebuilt title. "Severe flood damage" listed on Carfax. I have seen pictures and water was to the door bottoms and covered the fog lights. Parked on a slope, the rear doors were not exposed much.

Dealer repair order indicates only carpet and floor mats needed to be replaced but tech I spoke with indicated they replaced radio control ECUs under the seats. Water did not go up to the seats and they were not replaced.

Dealer sold most to employees after Subaru/insurance totaled them and two were sold to a used car friend in town who has sold one and still has one for sale.

This was a creek overflow next to the dealer lot and not a hurricane.

Car works as new. No smell, all electronics work perfectly, no dash lights, and it drives like new.

It hat 15 miles at the time of the flood last summer and now has 507 miles.

2017 with 500 miles Premium Eyesight with NAV.

$14.5K and NO warranty. SOA indicates that it is eligible for any safety recall.

I was initially tempted and wife wants me to go for it saying we'll keep it 10 years and the title issue will be for the most part meaningless.

Would you buy now or would you buy a 10 year old car (presumably in good shape and running well) with a flood history.

I was initially tempted and wife wants me to go for it saying we'll keep it 10 years and the title issue will be for the most part meaningless.

Is your wife an electrical engineer with a specialty in automotive electrical?

No.

Then I would pass.

I definitely wouldn't buy a flooded car. There are just too many potential issues with it. I don't think that's worth the money. If it turns out that this car has issues, it will be very hard to get rid of it without loosing money.

Don't forget to check with your insurance agent on what it would cost to insure. These vary state by state and in some states flood insurance is part of the basic coverage, so they may refuse to insure a vehicle which was already paid out as a flood damaged vehicle.

Its always a gamble and depends on how much you are willing to loose should it die a day after you buy it. And more so with modern cars with all the electronics. And if you are lucky, nothing may go wrong and it would run for thousands of miles.

Personally, I wouldn't go for it. I'd be more comfortable with a car that an accident on the record and you know what the incident was, what repairs were done and gauge potential issues; versus trying to guess which of the millions of gaps/openings water would have entered through.

Ask yourself this question: Why are the unwilling to offer a warranty? If they believe the car to be OK to sell then they should have no issues with offering a warranty. If they're unwilling to do so then they know there is too much risk. So why would you assume it?

OP: It doesn't matter if you are getting a bargain or not. It is unsellable - the dealer hasn't found a ... customer. So if you become that customer and you don't like it, think about how it would be impossible to sell privately - and no dealer would take it as a trade-in.

No way, not with today's electronics.

A long time ago in a previous chapter of my life, I worked at a Mercedes Benz dealer. We had a customer that drove his brand new 300D off a pier. We had that car in the shop on and off for over a year and still never got it sorted out for the guy. One minute something would work, next minute not so much.

Additionally, if it was in salt water eventually you would see the effects on the body as well.

Ask yourself this question: Why are the unwilling to offer a warranty? If they believe the car to be OK to sell then they should have no issues with offering a warranty. If they're unwilling to do so then they know there is too much risk. So why would you assume it?

I'm taking a pass and thanks all for the input guys.

Under $10K perhaps I could consider it but you never know when the ACC will decide to slam you into the back of a fire truck on the freeway as the Tesla did a couple of days ago (which was not a flood car so it can happen to any car).

The warranty void is through SOA, not the dealer or resale dealer. I spoke with them directly and any Subie rebuild/salvage/flood title is void of all warranty. It IS eligible for any safety recall but NOT eligible for a non safety issue (which means you have to pay for it).

I'm going to get an '18 once the Volvo lease is up in July.

Rebuilt title. "Severe flood damage" listed on Carfax. I have seen pictures and water was to the door bottoms and covered the fog lights. Parked on a slope, the rear doors were not exposed much.

Dealer repair order indicates only carpet and floor mats needed to be replaced but tech I spoke with indicated they replaced radio control ECUs under the seats. Water did not go up to the seats and they were not replaced.

Dealer sold most to employees after Subaru/insurance totaled them and two were sold to a used car friend in town who has sold one and still has one for sale.

This was a creek overflow next to the dealer lot and not a hurricane.

Car works as new. No smell, all electronics work perfectly, no dash lights, and it drives like new.

It hat 15 miles at the time of the flood last summer and now has 507 miles.

2017 with 500 miles Premium Eyesight with NAV.

$14.5K and NO warranty. SOA indicates that it is eligible for any safety recall.

Would you buy now or would you buy a 10 year old car (presumably in good shape and running well) with a flood history.

No wouldn't risk the possible wiring issues down the the road..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Archived