LegacyGT.com

MY18+ Map Update Issue

Prior to getting the 2018 I did a map update for the 2016 and it added of the new streets in my area and in NYC. Once I got the 2018 the maps are not up to date and back to 2016 or so. I got an email around December saying there was a Map Update for the 2018 and this is where is the fun starts.

Subaru has instructions on how to update but I’m coming across an issue where the “Request Code” will not load Tom the head unit. If anyone has a 2018 with the Navigation Head Unit can you please check to see if this request code to update your map is showing? I want to know if this is my issue or if it is widespread thing.

To check you would go to Settings > Navigation and scroll down to Map Update Information.

I tried contacting SOA and dealer and had no luck. Tried Here Maps customer service and they no longer are used for the 2018+ MY and it is now Harmon Kardon/Tom Tom. Called them too with no luck.

Here’s an example of what I come across when the car is parked, running or not running.

deb64b9e0940b6e3ac3721c5c1127558.jpg

Here’s what should show up.

1281fcb978c09b2cf9ff6e0e9e1380a7.jpg

Here’s the new website for Map Update for the 2018 Legacy and Outback.

https://subaru-maps.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't directly help with your problem, but I feel your pain. I was sent in circles when I tried to update my maps a few months ago. Here is what I can tell you. SOA can't directly fix your problem. They source the HU from a third party which in your case is H/K. H/K in turn sources map data from tom tom. There is probably another company in-between that builds the HU/mapping software.

Since its a new vehicle and you are in the factory warranty, I'd press the dealer to fix it. Unfortunately they won't have much of an idea either (at least that was my experience) other than reprogram the HU, try a different SD card or order you a replacement HU.

Guys, I have an 18 head unit too. If you do a little research, the WiFi feature in the headend is NOT activated and serves NO current function. It is what Subaru calls a "FUTURE FEATURE". The only way to update the unit is via a USB stick at the dealer or using the website below to download the file. As ammcinnis stated, this is VERY different than the past units as there is NO SD card to upgrade. You go to a special website, register your car using the final screen shot (activation code) MrCobbs pasted above and, when updates are available, you download them onto a USB stick. There are no current updates available for our NAVs at this time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your radios!

https://subaru-maps.com

I actually received an email saying to update the map which is actually out of date around December. 2cbaa44abef4895fe623b3fbd2c6341d.jpg

I think it should work as a coworker of mine who has the new ‘18 crosstrek was able to retrieve her code and update to the new maps database.

Guys, I have an 18 head unit too. If you do a little research, the WiFi feature in the headend is NOT activated and serves NO current function. It is what Subaru calls a "FUTURE FEATURE". The only way to update the unit is via a USB stick at the dealer or using the website below to download the file. As ammcinnis stated, this is VERY different than the past units as there is NO SD card to upgrade. You go to a special website, register your car using the final screen shot (activation code) MrCobbs pasted above and, when updates are available, you download them onto a USB stick. There are no current updates available for our NAVs at this time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your radios!

https://subaru-maps.com

My 18 connects to WIFI and says there's no updates. My head unit won't display the activation code. I've tried on a few different occasions.

Now that I think about it my car connects daily to my home Wi-Fi and says that there are no updates for the system software which is understandable. When I went to the dealer a few months ago there was an update and they did it for me with no problem. So...does that mean Subaru’s Wi-Fi update push isn’t working or does the system need to be initialized to work properly or something?

Hey security guy, where did you see the future feature thing?

18a28f5e8d424f1ee12df46eed076ceb.jpg

Country...and you have performed the steps below to get your code?

Request Code is available in your's car navigation.

From Home screen enter "Settings" > "Navigation" > "Map Update Information"

I’m getting the same message as the OP when requesting the code. It just says to try again later.

I guess when Subaru activates their cloud server to push OTA updates, the code will be available?

Please listen to what I am saying. Yes, the radio has "WiFi" capability but it does NOTHING!!! You can connect to your house's WiFi network as I have done in my new Impreza but it has nothing to talk to as Subaru does NOT offer this OTA capability yet. The manual is correct in that it can be done...just not yet. As @legacyboy stated above, the cloud isn't on-line yet. There is nothing for the radio to connect to...it's a non-active feature even though you "think" it's doing something based on the "response you get from the radio.

It will not work on any vehicle - Legacy's, Impreza's or Crosstreks at this time.

Now one additional point - getting the map access code has NOTHING to do with WiFi as it is embedded in the head unit and you certainly should be able to access it so that I cannot explain.

Country...and you have performed the steps below to get your code?

Request Code is available in your's car navigation.

From Home screen enter "Settings" > "Navigation" > "Map Update Information"

Yes, I've tried 3 days now at different times and it always says "please try again later."

That’s weird because I got in contact with TomTom and they said that this database is out of date and an update has been out since December.

Where did you get this information from? I tried contacting SOA and they were trying to figure out how to fix the Request Code issue and admitted there was a newer after doubting initially there was a newer database.

As I mentioned before, a co-worker with a 18 Crosstrek has a newer map (TomTom) database that she loaded into her vehicle compared to mine.

I forgot to mentioned that I tried to use her update in my car but it’s “Request Code” specific.

That’s weird because I got in contact with TomTom and they said that this database is out of date and an update has been out since December.

Where did you get this information from? I tried contacting SOA and they were trying to figure out how to fix the Request Code issue and admitted there was a newer after doubting initially there was a newer database.

As I mentioned before, a co-worker with a 18 Crosstrek has a newer map (TomTom) database that she loaded into her vehicle compared to mine.

I forgot to mentioned that I tried to use her update in my car but it’s “Request Code” specific.

I contacted two folks at SOA. I was also instructed to go to http://www.subaru.com and do the following:

1. at the very top right of the site you will see "For Owners". Click there.

2. scroll down to the big round icon that says "Navigation"

3. Click on that and enter your information.

4. It will tell you if an update is available for your vehicle

When you say a friend with an 18 CT has a newer map than yours...how do you know it's newer? What version does your NAV say you are running and what does hers say? Would be interesting to get some real information as we should all be running the same based on what SOA and HK say. Please get the info and post please.

Both subaru.com and HK's website http://www.subaru-maps.com both state there are no updates for our radios. Nothing more I can say.

I’ve got to take mine to the dealer this week at 1,300 miles because my TPMS system failed (hope that isn’t a sign of things to come), so I’m going to have them update the hazard light lock issue, and have them check out the maps to see what’s wrong.

What do you mean it "Failed"? What is it doing that makes you believe the entire system has failed? Maybe you just have a bad sensor that needs to be replaced. Not uncommon as our cars are full of electronics these days.

My 2018 Legacy 3.6R has the same issue, as well as our 2018 Outback Limited. I think both use the same head unit. I’ve tried connecting to WiFi and it won’t update that way either.

We're renting a 2017 outback. Any big differences between the legacy and outback besides ride height?

What do you mean it "Failed"? What is it doing that makes you believe the entire system has failed? Maybe you just have a bad sensor that needs to be replaced. Not uncommon as our cars are full of electronics these days.
I am guessing it’s a bad sensor. The TPMS light is blinking and the center screen says “Check owners manual”. I’m just worried because of all the issues I had with my 2012 Legacy.

We're renting a 2017 outback. Any big differences between the legacy and outback besides ride height?
The biggest difference is ride height and also usable interior space. Normal driving they pretty much feel identical, however around curves the Legacy handles much better.

We also have a near identical 2017 Legacy 3.6R and the suspension is a bit firmer in the 2018, and the CVT feels like it fake shifts more on the 18” as well.

Nope...pretty much the same identical vehicle except one is a sedan and the other a wagon. Mechanicals are 99%+ the same but the OB rides higher. When sitting inside, you would never be able to tell which one is which unless you looked back and saw the hatch area.

Archived