LegacyGT.com

Zerosports Radiator Cooler

Well aluminium is an excellent conducter of heat, so theoretically, by increasing the surface area of alumnium, this should act as a heat sink, increasing cooling, and giving you about 13.5 hp @ approx. 5250 RPM's according to my calculations...

Is that for the Impreza? I've been looking at radiator shrouds too, but I came to the conclusion that Impreaza ones won't fit. I don't know for certain, but the radiators seem to be a different shape on top. I don't know for certain though.

And yes, its mainly underhood bling, but it does help to prevent air from escaping from over the radiator. Marketing departments at the companies that produce these say like 20%. I doubt it is really that much, but I bet there is still some airflow lost w/o the shroud.

The Legacy GT is rather well designed at the front, and there is not a lot of escaping air. It is still popular because it looks cool. (and lets just admit it here, the majority of aftermarket wheel sales are for that only reason!)

It may actually become useful in a racing situation, but I am talking a real circuit race situation where you are lapping for over 30 minutes plus in very hot weather. The Legacy GT will start overheating when driven like you stole it at the circuit during the middle of Japanese summer (been there, did that). But some water wetter would likely do more for you in that situation.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com | http://www.sevenphotos.com | http://www.scoobymag.com

As mentioned, a radiator shroud on the LGT is purely an aesthetic modification. The factory has put a strip of foam between the radiator and frame/AC condensor on the car so there is no air that escapes through there.... blocking that air is the only function of a radiator shroud and there's no air to block on the Legacy.

The bugeye Impreza's actually have a gap there though, so it serves a function on them. And the Impreza ones definitely do not fit on the Legacy.

Jeremy

btw -- if you want improved cooling, check out our 160* CoolSafe thermostat. Before and after logging showed 194* max coolant temps w/ the stock t-stat, and I have never been over 174* with our t-stat.... check out the description on the site, and you'll see it's truly a lot of bang for the buck!!!

• 4 months later...
I am not a fan of thermostats. I had a 160 in my old car and it seemed to never blow Hot air. It was great for the summer definatly worth it but when it comes to winter it makes the heat blow warm not hot. I guess if you swap it out before the winter it would be worth it. Worth the hassle thats up to you.

I've had the same one in my car for almost 2 years and have gone through two winter stints in Spokane, WA where it was in the single digits. Changing to a 50/50 coolant/water mixture was all that I needed to do in order to have a normally-operating cooling system, blowing normally hot air and everything. When I kept my summer 30/70 coolant/water + Water Wetter I had the same problem of the engine hoarding all that warmth for itself ;)

160 is above the temperature at which the ECU on the Subaru considers the car to be fully warm though, so the t-stat will NOT cause problems like some t-stats do on some cars.

Anyway, it makes such a huge difference on a turbo Subaru -- performance, safety, etc -- that even if you did have to swap it out for winter, it would still be more than worth it. It's a huge bang-for-the-buck modification.

Jeremy

^ Nice engine blings, overall, TRS! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Hey TRS...did the plastic covers around the power steering fluid bottle and around the winshield washer bottle come like that from the factory or you got them from Japan ?

1) I cannot remember

2) I think that they actually trap heat - prevent air movement in the engine bay...

looks like my engine compartment but I can't (want) take a pic as I stopped under a Dodge ram yesterday. Need dew hood,grill and left headlight :(

Ouch... sorry to hear.

Hey TRS...did the plastic covers around the power steering fluid bottle and around the winshield washer bottle come like that from the factory or you got them from Japan ?

1) I cannot remember

2) I think that they actually trap heat - prevent air movement in the engine bay...

I got them from AVO. I see RalliTEK carries them too.

I could see how the one on our passenger side could potentially cause a temperature rise but without knowledge of the complex airflow going on through the engine compart it would be hard to say. I figure if they're standard on the JDM then they wouldn't be too detrimental, if at all.

I like the clean look, plus it makes it easier to keep a more detailed looking engine bay as all you have to do is clean off the larger horizontal surfaces that will keep all those more difficult to detail nooks and crannies underneath hidden away. Sort of like sweeping the crumbs under the rug. I'll take them off every now and again and flsuh out the components underneath to make sure not too mcuh crud has accumulated, especially over the winter.

TRS-I see you have the ZeroSports intake pipe as well-very nice-. I also like how you painted the mesh on the engine cover to match.

It looks like you have the engine covers covered! J/K! Your engine bay looks really good. :lol:

Jonny

Thanks. For the engine cover mesh I used Dupli-Color METALCAST Anodized Color. I was going to remove the mesh before painting but couldnt remove the clips on the bottom side without breaking the plastic posts. I ended up masking off the cover from the mesh and jsut painted it while still attached.

The blue is a pretty good match for Cusco blue, especially since the pieces are not immediately adjacent.

That looks pretty good

^ Nice engine blings, overall, TRS!

Thanx guys!

Yeah, I got the covers from AVO as well. Really cleans up the compartment and makes me and I'm sure TRS as well, WTH didn't SOA incorporate these onto our cars from Factory. they are light and cheap. I mean, almos 200 shipped isn't bad so OEM installed would have been alot less to absorb into the pricew of the car.

$120 for a piece of sheet metal?! that's more expensive than what I paid for my Cusco rearsway bar in HK and it has a lot more metal and usefulness. I could have picked up a Cusco one if they had it there too but was for $40-50 if they had it for our Legacy, even then I wouldn't pay for something like that.

Archived