LegacyGT.com

Long time subie owner...reconsidering

IcEWoLF

I've been a subaru owner for 8 years now. Loved my subaru 2010 legacy 2.5i. But now I want something nicer, faster and of course something that is built well.

I've had horrible experience here in Reno, their dealership is expanding and they seem to care less about customer service...their service department is garbage these days. Most of the cool people that I use to know that worked there at the service department all left, now they got new folks.

Anyways, I am out here shopping for a replacement, the 2018 looks good, it has Apple Carplay and the eyesight looks cool.

I've so far have driven the Lexus NX 2017 200t, not bad, very comfy seats, but the car feels too small, cargo space is non existant. They offered me fully loaded around 39k, not bad deal. Just cargo space feels small and the whole car feels confined.

Then I tried the Acura RDX, very nice car, bigger, proper V6, and it handles really well, interior quality is superior, however the infotainment system seems its straight outta 2005...I hear the RDX will have major overhaul with the 2019 model which supposed to come out mid 2018.

I also tested the 2018 Audi Q5, nice car, runs smooth, basic options and it comes down to 45k...

My budget is around 40-45k max. I don't want a small car, I want a mid size crossover type of car, I am not a fan of the outback, I feel the look of it is dated. I like the Legacy more, should I give it a second look?

How good is the new 6 banger on the legacy? How about noise inside the cabin?

You could answer all your questions about the Outback for free by just visiting a Dealership and going for a test drive.

But it sounds like you are more interested in the image and "service" of a more upscale brand. You seem to have missed the BMW X1 in your search.

Someone told me about the X1, the Volvo dealership lady since they are linked together..

Just when I look at bmw I don’t see myself in it to be 100% honest.

I was considering the outback, but to me it just looks like the same car 8 years ago, where the legacy has evolved considerably.

Also the 3.6r cvt I am not fully sold on, I’ll try to take a test drive today.

It’s a hard choice, I love how subie run, just the dealership has been total ass as of late, car headliner problems, repairs taking multiple visits, just service has been poor.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Honda and Acura interfaces, and the BMW x1 one is very in-depth but a little convoluted for my tastes. I don't want to have to click through a million menus. I have family with the Acura and the x1, so I'm familiar in both but not necessarily "comfortable" ...

That being said, the 3.6R is what I'm considering. It's very quick for the Legacy and great for the Outback... I personally think the 2.5 is also "fine" for the Legacy but "stressful" for the Outback because of the weight and possibly extra cargo.

I drive the 2011 Outback. It's been a great car, lots of fun memories. But now, with my wife having a third row SUV as our family car, I want to have my turn in something sporty (she previously had an 09 Legacy...)...

Remember a couple of things: The dealership is not indicative of the manufacturer; you only have to buy this car one time. (Service is another story. I've been to many Subaru places up here that are great for sales but lousy service department, and vice-versa!)

Yeah, the Legacy did get a refresh back in 15 and again for 18. I love the look of the 18. I can't wait to buy one. The only reason I haven't is because my wife's car still has about 2 years of loan payments left. I'm trying to not make them overlap, but I'm prepared to do so if necessary - they're almost certainly going to discontinue the EZ36D engine in the 3.6R engine in favor of a 2.0 or 2.4 liter Turbo H4.

The only way around your CVT issue is to either:

1. Drive around in manual mode with the paddle shifters all the time, to simulate your driving of a regular "geared" automatic.

2. Consider a Forester or Crosstrek Premium, since that has a 5MT/6MT if you can drive a stick.

If you truly want a midsize crossover, that is the quintessential definition of the Outback, and the Forester it could apply somewhat, but the Foz is more of a compact "urban" SUV.

The "6 banger" is not new - it's been around for a long time, and it replaced the old 3.0 liter engine that required premium fuel (the 3.6 requires 87 octane)

So, it's tried and true technology.

I'm going back and forth between the Outback and the Legacy, but I'm absolutely set on the 3.6R engine. I keep a little clipboard in my glove box and I keep track of any time I actually "needed" to make use of the extra storage capacity of the Outback. I think it's only been one or two times since Spring of 2017... but again, I could have easily borrowed my wife's SUV for the tasks at hand.

Good luck in your hunt.

I really want to like the outback but it’s just not my style, is not as sporty as the other cars in the same class. I am 29, I have a steady good income, I want something nice at this point in my life. Something that feels premium when I get in the car. I’ll have to test drive one and see how they do with the newer Legacy, I also hear the new engine is gonna be around the corner, I am not sure if Subaru is going to release the new engine with the Legacy on the next year model.

Have you looked at the Volvo XC60? They got bought by the Chinese a few year ago and have had a huge cash infusion. It's reflected in their production. Production remains in Sweden, though. My family toured their Gothenberg plant when we ordered our XC90. The only thing that irks me... is that it's owned by a Chinese company.

2018-volvo-xc60-inline1-photo-681895-s-original.jpg

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Have you looked at the Volvo XC60? They got bought by the Chinese a few year ago and have had a huge cash infusion. It's reflected in their production. Production remains in Sweden, though. My family toured their Gothenberg plant when we ordered our XC90. The only thing that irks me... is that it's owned by a Chinese company.

2018-volvo-xc60-inline1-photo-681895-s-original.jpg

Test drove it, its 50k, hard pass..

Anyways I wanted to give you all an update, I went to the subaru dealership with an open mind, I test drove the 3.6R anniversary edition, nice car, during the test drive the head-unit for the eyesight started making rattling noise, I was like whats that noise? the guy thought at first it was plastic that was still on top of the car. It wasn't.

then he pressed down on the eye sight black bar and the rattle went away.

That is not the color I am getting, going to go with the grey magnetite one...but I am going to have them inspect it and take it out on a test drive and make sure no issues.

Other than that the car is significantly quieter, the car feels more premium, the stitching is nicer, overall the car runs very smooth and I was skeptical about the cvt on the 6 banger but it ran buttery smooth!

So OTD the car with all the features except remote start is $34,370. Good deal?

Detailed, tinted, 35k OTD, also included dome lights, all season mats, also interior illumination, Subaru door seals, Harmon Kardon audio, included lifetime oil change, also included dent protection for 5 years. That’s a pretty good deal, I’ll post the pics later.

Also anyone know if Subaru will provide me additional coupons for parts? I know it’s asking a lot because they gave me the $500 that I used on the new car.

Test drove it, its 50k, hard pass..

Anyways I wanted to give you all an update, I went to the subaru dealership with an open mind, I test drove the 3.6R anniversary edition, nice car, during the test drive the head-unit for the eyesight started making rattling noise, I was like whats that noise? the guy thought at first it was plastic that was still on top of the car. It wasn't.

then he pressed down on the eye sight black bar and the rattle went away.

That is not the color I am getting, going to go with the grey magnetite one...but I am going to have them inspect it and take it out on a test drive and make sure no issues.

Other than that the car is significantly quieter, the car feels more premium, the stitching is nicer, overall the car runs very smooth and I was skeptical about the cvt on the 6 banger but it ran buttery smooth!

Good job, man. I was almost in the same camp as you, but went with the 2.5i Limited instead. True, it doesn't have the power the 3.6R has, but I also drive 104 miles per day (I live 52 miles from work), so gas mileage is an issue. I can drive my normal manner and get 32 mpg mixed, or "granny" the car and get it up to 34 mpg mixed. If I lived closer to work, I would have gone 3.6R in a heartbeat.

Also, you'll be glad you're not going European. Maintenance costs are egregious, especially when parts are involved. And nice grab on the oil change thing. I went with the 2 year service plan and it has paid for itself three-fold (again, my mileage means I'm in for service about every two months...).

Enjoy it! Post pics soon.

I don't know because you're in Nevada where things obviously cost more... OTD is hard to figure with different Document Fees, Registration and Title charges...

My 2018 Legacy 3.6R was $30,700 OTD (the only option was Remote Start)...

I did get a $500 Loyalty Coupon because I bought a new 2017 2.5 Outback last year... :)

I don't know because you're in Nevada where things obviously cost more... OTD is hard to figure with different Document Fees, Registration and Title charges...

My 2018 Legacy 3.6R was $30,700 OTD (the only option was Remote Start)...

I did get a $500 Loyalty Coupon because I bought a new 2017 2.5 Outback last year... :)

These are my options I got: https://imgur.com/a/kO5HH

Good job, man. I was almost in the same camp as you, but went with the 2.5i Limited instead. True, it doesn't have the power the 3.6R has, but I also drive 104 miles per day (I live 52 miles from work), so gas mileage is an issue. I can drive my normal manner and get 32 mpg mixed, or "granny" the car and get it up to 34 mpg mixed. If I lived closer to work, I would have gone 3.6R in a heartbeat.

Also, you'll be glad you're not going European. Maintenance costs are egregious, especially when parts are involved. And nice grab on the oil change thing. I went with the 2 year service plan and it has paid for itself three-fold (again, my mileage means I'm in for service about every two months...).

Enjoy it! Post pics soon.

Here are the pics: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5741342&postcount=9

Archived