LegacyGT.com

what gas do you use?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Must be a different rating system in the US. Here we've got a choice of 91, 95, 96 and 98 octane. I used to run 91 but the idle was rough and power was lacking...now I use 95 and 96 now, I'm planning to throw in a tank of 98 and reset the ECU.

What is commonly referred to as the "octane rating" in the US is actually the Federal Trade Commission mandated "antiknock index" and is defined as (RON + MON) /2 = antiknock index. Europe and much of the rest of the world mostly use the European EN228 standard. There is not a direct linear translation, but USUALLY a fuel rated with the US system will have a EN228 rating that is 4 to 5 points higher. US 93 "octane" premium gas is typically equivalent to European fuel with a 97 or 98 "octane" rating.

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

Moviemadness asks...............which is the best gas?

Hooters, Wendy's and Diner's....in that order.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Mobil 93, Stg 2 hardware & AP.

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

i just filled up my LGT for the first time last night, i used 87. it has no turbo or anything, should i still be filling it up with a higher octane or is it really driver preference?

If your car has no turbo, it isn't a Legacy GT, it's a 2.5i

Yeah some people seem confused that we are probably mostly talking about the 2005/6 GTs which are indeed turboed and like their premium.

not confused at all. i just like to a) be different b) make people read and c) throw off the curve for everyone :lol::p preimum here is around 2.70-2.80

Kenda:dm:

I recommend a Top Tier gas station. I try to stick with Phillips 66 or QuikTrip (QT).

www.toptiergas.com

Here are the retailers included:

QuikTrip

Chevron

Conoco

Phillips

Shell

Entec Stations

MFA Oil Company

Kwik Trip/Kwik Star

The Somerset Refinery, Inc.

Chevron-Canada (B.C. only)

My next stipulation when purchasing gas is filling up at a new gas station or a station with new storage tanks.

Have you ever seen a tank after it has reached the end of this life?

The tank will be riddled with holes like Swiss cheese. With that said; water, soil, and oxidized and corroded metal will make its way into the gas in an old tank. Gas stations will periodically replace tanks by law. Your best bet for the best gas is to find a new Top Tier station or a Top Tier station with new tanks.

How can you tell if your station has new tanks?

Normally, you can tell the difference from where the tanks have been replace by looking for newly poured concrete in the driveway and parking area of the station. Since gas stations require low overhead and small startup costs the foot-print of station is usually small. The tanks are almost always located adjacent to the pump station. The manhole type metal casts protruding from the driveway are the filling and metering point for tankers. Look around these filling points. If there is new concrete laid, it will be much lighter in color compared to the surrounding concrete. This is from the lack of weathering or possibly the type of concrete used. You can also look for changes in texture in the concrete.

Your car will run cleaner/stronger and have less fuel system problems, if you take my advice.

On octane: If you are at or near sea-level in a FI or NA vehicle that requires a higher octane, it is always be better to run 91(unless you need to change your detonation point - e.g. Cobb AP 93 octane tune). Your vehicle will not have to retard timing nor will you have problems with under spending your fuel. A NA vehicle that requires higher octane but operates in higher altitude can actually dial back the octane a few points in mountainous conditions. A FI vehicle will still want to stay at 91 in order to facilitate the ECU programming and the forced air.

Hopefully this will lend some help. Take care.

out of those, there's only a shell gas station, and that's crossing the boarder,

and the gas station is so old that there's no new sign, the pumps still have the rotating numbers, and it's full service, and there's no small grocery store either.. not too sure if that's trustworthy.

Filled up earlier today at Mobil. 91 octane for $3.01. Typically I either go there (very convenient) or I stop in at Costco, which is usually at least $.10 cheaper. If I go to Costco I have to pay by debit, but if I go anywhere else I use a dividend card that gives me 5% back. Either way I pay about the same......too much.

I'm tuned on Shell V-Power 93, so that's always what my baby gets. :D Besides, where I live, it's decently convenient to these stations.

Every once-in-a-while, I'll throw in a tank of BP or even Sunoco 94, just to give her some variety.

Chevron injector cleaner every 3000-5000. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived