LegacyGT.com

tires for 2016 Legacy 3.6

It'll soon be time to replace tires on my 2016 Legacy 3.6, now that I have 36k miles. I'd appreciate recommendations and opinions.

I want to buy tires with the best braking and handling. I live in New Jersey. Traction and Braking on snow and ice are important. I'm not concerned with how long the tread lasts or fuel efficiency.

The tire manager at Costco recommends : Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in a V speed

He said that because I now drive an H speed OEM tire, he recommends the V speed. He doesn't recommend the W or Y speed.

He said that the BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S is a great tire, but noisy. Consumer reports also says it is noisy.

Michelin Premier A/S don't come in the size that fits my Legacy 3.6: 225/50R18

Thank you for recommendations and opinions.

I have been running Continental DWS 06's on my 2015 3.6r for almost 1 year. I bought them because I wanted one set of tires at a time. In Seattle, that means All Season tires.

Crazy good grip, wet and dry. City driving or in the mountains, these tires have never slipped/skidded/hydroplaned.

Excellent stopping power, especially in wet.

If you research, you'll find a common complaint about slow steering response. I think that is a fair criticism. There is a slight lag between the steering wheel input and tire response. f you drive a WRX, that would be an issue. But to my senses, it feels more like these tires are designed to behave that way; stability over nimbleness. The legacy has heavier steering by design, the Conti's are complimentary.

If budget is your #1 priority, then the DWS06 is a no-brainer.

He said that the BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S is a great tire, but noisy. Consumer reports also says it is noisy.

Thank you for recommendations and opinions.

Consumer reports is written for and by feeble middle aged men whose dicks went limp a decade ago. If you can hear your tires over your radio or music, they are either not properly balanced or you've got a shit alignment or some other serious suspension issue. I've had those BFG's on other cars before and when time comes to replace the tires on the Legacy, they will be the prime candidates to go on this car.

Go with the BFG's - they are great tires. Guys that complain about tire noise on a modern passenger tire on a modern vehicle, driving on a modern road are the annoying types of people that normal folks look avoid any ways - hence their opinion is shit.

If you are truly concerned with traction and braking on ice and snow, buy a good set of winter tires and a set of good 3 season tires for the rest of the year. That's my plan for replacing my OEM tires when they finally need to be replaced. I have Blizzak WS80 tires that I use in the winter which outperform the OEM tires in every way in bad weather. I'll be getting a good set of summer tires like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the rest of the year once the original goodyears need to be replaced.

I've been running ContiProContact A/S's on my Outback and it's been solid in the Jersey winters up here. Never felt like I was fishtailing or anything in the snow.

I've heard really good things about Blizzaks if you want a dedicated winter tire.

Costco is a great spot to start. Sometimes they have to special order the tire.

Can't go wrong with Conti DWS06. Had them on my Legacy and absolutely loved them. Grippy, quiet and supper smooth at all speeds with zero vibration. My second choice was the Michelin Pilot but after watching the Tire Rack review that said the DWS06 performed better in snow I bought them but unfortunately I did not get a chance to try.

Wow - I greatly appreciate all the responses with lots of information, opinions and advice.

I'm considering these 4 tires:

• Michelin Premier A/S H Speed
  • Michelin Premier A/S V Speed
  • BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S W Speed
  • Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Y Speed

I've combined the consumer reports scorecards for these tires into one graphic. The combined scorecard graphic is attached as a JPG and I've also put it in the image link below.

I'm leaning towards the Michelin Premier in H Speed. I'm reluctantly thinking I'd compromise on handling (Good rating vs Very Good or Excellent for the other tires) to avoid the Fair ratings on each of the other tires: Ice Braking, Ride Comfort or Snow Traction.

I like feeling the road while driving. Safety is important to me so I'm pleased with the dry braking, wet braking and hydroplaning ratings for all 4 tires.

I'm not concerned with tread life, rolling resistance or price.

I'm not willing to have a 3 season tire and use snows in the winter.

In New Jersey, we have winter weather. I'm thinking that the Michelin V speed Ice Braking fair rating is a deal-beaker and that the DWS06 Snow Traction fair rating is also a deal-breaker.

I'd appreciate your reactions to my thoughts.

Merry Christmas.

http://dazuckerman.com/subaru/Subaru%20Tires%202017.JPG

230594608_SubaruTires2017.JPG.ef1ed1fd2438817e911c17475030b14f.JPG

I just put the Premier A/S on my daughters car...very happy and a great tire. I bought them around Thanksgiving and they had $100 off a set of 4. No reason to buy the "V", the "H" is just fine for our cars. I like Michelin's and Conti's, not a big fan of Goodrich.

Correction: The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is my #1 choice.

I confused the Pilot Sport with the Premier.

Below is the consumer reports score card for the Pilot Sport.

I'd appreciate your reactions to my thoughts.

http://dazuckerman.com/subaru/Subaru%20Tires%202017%20Pilot.JPG

135396654_Subaru20Tires20201720Pilot.JPG.81d31c98a838c92a0736c7cb49eb908d.JPG

If you want a true All Weather tire, look at the Toyo Celsius. Smooth Quiet ride, good tread life and fantastic in ice and snow.

Otherwise the DWS06 Is probably the best "Non Snow" rated option.

I sell a ton of both with great feedback.

Archived