LegacyGT.com

‘15 Goodyear tires cracking

My ‘15 has just under 48,000 miles and the tires have cracks on the outer walls like in the image below (that is NOT my tire but mine look like that). Of course, the dealership wants almost $800 for new tires. I called a local tire place and they’ve requested to take a look at my tires as it’s possible that Goodyear might cover it as a defect. I’m thinking that’s not going to happen.

Has anyone else had this happen with their factory Goodyear tires? FYI My Legacy is not garage kept.

Okay, so I’m unable to attach the image of the tire. It basically looks like dry rot like you’d see on old tires. That’s not normal for a car that’s 2 year old, is it?

My ‘15 has just under 48,000 miles and the tires have cracks on the outer walls like in the image below (that is NOT my tire but mine look like that). Of course, the dealership wants almost $800 for new tires. I called a local tire place and they’ve requested to take a look at my tires as it’s possible that Goodyear might cover it as a defect. I’m thinking that’s not going to happen.

Has anyone else had this happen with their factory Goodyear tires? FYI My Legacy is not garage kept.

Okay, so I’m unable to attach the image of the tire. It basically looks like dry rot like you’d see on old tires. That’s not normal for a car that’s 2 year old, is it?

the factory goodyear LS2s had the same thing you describe when I got the car at 35k.

I had a bad experience with bridgestone 7 years ago; so I'm pretty skeptical about tires since then. I was able to get the dealer I bought the car from change all 4 of them before buying it. The sales guy said he would cite it as a safety concern and swap them out before purchase. I assume they would have just slipped it as a warranty issue somewhere to make the sale.

In your case, it might be tough and goodyear may just decline the warranty claim saying it was not cared for properly, but still worth a shot.

Kind of like this?

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x351/scooter001/CrownVic2003025.jpg

Mine's garaged so it's showing no probs. I've got one slow leak happening.

Some say if it's within four years Goodyear will give a credit.

(Pic is from a forum discussion from a Crownvic thread)

Yes! That’s the picture I tried to upload but kept getting a “security token” error.

Kind of like this?

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x351/scooter001/CrownVic2003025.jpg

Mine's garaged so it's showing no probs. I've got one slow leak happening.

Some say if it's within four years Goodyear will give a credit.

(Pic is from a forum discussion from a Crownvic thread)

When I saw the car, those tires had similar cracks going up and down the sidewall. There was no way I was going to drive anything over 30mph on them. Even if the dealer had refused to swap, I would have tried to negotiate a discount and get a new set.

This is what happened with the bridgestone driving down the highway at 70 a day after I bought my previous car :(

http://i65.tinypic.com/a4v1va.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/35alpw2.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/28mh4eq.jpg

I now start looking at the week and year of manufacture on the sidewall, and if anything over 6 months old, I don't install it, just coz I don't know in what conditions it was stored.

Same thing happened to a set of Michelin's I had on my Son's Honda Accord. Tires were on the car for over two years and the tire shop brought to my attention the side wall cracking as was shown in post #3 when performing a tire rotation. Michelin agreed to replace all 4 tires at their expense without a fight so don't under estimate what the manufacturer may do.

My Goodyear's lasted 50,000 and would have gone another 5-10k if I wasn't approaching new england weather. I recommend the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. They are highly rated and highly recommended all over this forum.

My Goodyear's had these same cracks along the rim. I've been told by many people that are nothing to worry about. I'm not an expert. They do not worry me. If you had a bubble or cracks on the actual sidewall I would be more concerned.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06&partnum=25WR8DWS06&fromSurvey=true

It's not unusual to see a Goodyear crack. You also have to be careful putting tire shine on as that will cause the sidewalls to crack as well.

All tires will dry rot over time. I'd say Michelin and Goodyear are the two I most frequently see with cracked sidewalls.

gotta ask, how much tread was on those tires at 48,000 miles?

Surprised they lasted that long to begin with.

It's not unusual to see a Goodyear crack. You also have to be careful putting tire shine on as that will cause the sidewalls to crack as well.

All tires will dry rot over time. I'd say Michelin and Goodyear are the two I most frequently see with cracked sidewalls.

I took my Legacy to a local, reputable tire place and had them take a look (the lady has a Subaru and so does her husband). She said it was usual dry rot and not a big deal. Also, I have a lot of tread left. So, I’m going to keep what I have for now.

Depends on weather and conditions. Garage kept car, tires will last longer. And if you're in an area that brines, that salt does a number on everything, not just the tires.

I had dry rot on my Civic tires like 15 years ago... never had an issue other than zero tread left with my Subies.

Depends on weather and conditions. Garage kept car, tires will last longer. And if you're in an area that brines, that salt does a number on everything, not just the tires.

I had dry rot on my Civic tires like 15 years ago... never had an issue other than zero tread left with my Subies.

Understandable, but I live in PA, and the car has never been garage kept. Guess I just got lucky;)

Archived