LegacyGT.com

Where to go with bent valves?

Hello guys!

It's been a long time since I've posted, but I'm back! I just re-registered my '05 LGT and I'd like to get it back into top shape.

It's been sitting for almost 2 years now. I curbed it pretty bad and threw the alignment out of whack, but that's getting straightened out today.

The other issue it has are bent valves. I did a timing belt at 105k myself, but because I was cheap and broke when I did it I only sprung for the belt, NOT the entire kit. Needless to say, an idler broke on Rt 101 coming back from NHMS and the entire front of the motor grenaded. I replaced the timing again, this time with an entire kit, but it had obvious internal damage afterwards. It still runs, but it's got an audible tick and it doesn't like returning to idle until it's warmed up. The warm idle is a bit rough sometimes too.

So what I'm looking for are suggestions on how to proceed. After the first of the year I'd like to send it to an experienced Subaru guy in the New England area (MA specifically). I have a few questions.....

1. Who's the best guy for rebuilding turbo Subies in New England?

2. Should I rebuild just the heads, the entire motor, or just get a new long block put in?

3. What is the liklihood of the pistons being damaged? At 130k miles is the bottom-end worth putting new heads on?

4. What are my options going to cost?

Thanks guys! Feels good to be back.

I'm guessing you have some piston damage, but may not be bad enough to replace them.

The heads can be rebuilt.

I don't know where Rowley MA is but I know great shops in north central CT around the Somers CT area below Springfield MA.

Read my Click Here link in my sig.

Plan on around $6000 or a little more for everything.

Oh, have the turbo rebuilt by www.tuningalliance.com he's close by too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Your gonna have to decide how much you can do yourself and what you need to farm out.

As you know cutting corners is not the way to go for long term success.

Replacing pistons is likely in your future if you keep the rest of the internals barring they check out.

Built SB is a time saver and would lead to your only machine shop need is rebuilding your heads.

Go through Max's thread and decide. Were also here if you get stumped.

Archived