LegacyGT.com

Question for those who have etuned with 5eat

He clams to tune the TCU, but all he’s doing is changing what the ECU sends to the TCU

For what its worth he doesn't claim to tune the TCU.

Some level of transmission Tuning for quicker shifting and operation through the ECU and not the TCU

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=511

Since I plan to have my 3.0 with the 5EAT tuned in the near future I was also interested in hearing others experiences. I don't like the idea that some companies/services/products etc are seemingly or obviously censored here. It's one thing to promote without being a vendor, that I can see as a problem. But not allowing free discussion is straight censorship.

I would like to know what tuners are available to do remote etuning that have experience with the 5EAT and the EZ30. Would of course like to here peoples first hand experience.

I can say I haven't seen (from my not exhaustive searching) many negative mentions of XRT. I've also notice when talking about the 5EAT he gets brought up a lot. I do agree as a whole there does seem to be a lot of posts from him and him running his own forum is a bit off if he does possibly censor bad reviews but who knows.

Other tuners I've heard of but not know anything more then there names are:

Cryo

Tuning alliance

Throttlehappy

Also from a quick search it was easy to find an unhappy customer of Throttlehappy. Don't take this is a knock against him, there's little to no chance any company will have 100% happy customers.

I do not seem to directly follow "make the calculated and requested torque tables match the actual estimated engine output." Would this not be a byproduct of just a normal tune done properly or are these parameters that are usually not even dealt with via e tune and dyno tune? Not sure if Cryo and Tuning Alliance are on the same page about this?

Edit, Oops sorry this wasn't directly responding to you specifically :-)

FWIW, when I originally got in touch with XRT, he told straight away he doesn't go through the TCU. At times I'm seeing the cynicism on this board approaching NASIOC. Maybe his torque tables can be improved on who knows, but does the torque table alone tell the story of his complete tune? I went through several revisions with him, with full access to his tables. He also doesn't target fat rich AFR either....it's pretty well thought out. And he hounds you for lots of logs and lots of input which is nice.

The tuners that are showcased on this board are great, and it's nice that the more info out here the better for us. Yes I have a TA tune as well (2 tunes?? Long story). It is very good, it is also VERY different than XRT. I'd choose my XRT setup for hooning around and autocross, and the TA for highway cruising and in the mountains. They are totally different in the way they feel (for one XRT is aggressive in the cam advance). One breaks free without having to stand on the brake, they other comes on smooth and later and has a nice progressive feel. It's all good.

I've been trying to keep out of these threads but I'm putting my 2cents in. I'll just start with video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoBTTUzHp_M]5EAT Hexmods IAG Pro Tune[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WITMPgppFr0]XRT 5EAT Hexmods[/ame]

It's pretty obvious which one is shifting better.

I've been with XRT since July of 2016. I've personally have been helping with the shifting and response of the 5EAT/3.6R combination. He's knows what he's doing. He's not just changing CT tables, or DBW maps. It's much more than that. Things that (from what I understand) no other tuners will touch. He's not just gonna show the world what he's doing because that would give anyone else the ability to do so. He does NOT tune the TCU. This is not possible yet. Multiple places it's listed "in-direct tuning".

Back in Jan/Feb I started to help with testing of ROM's. He sent me one and I'll never forget after loading it and driving around. I was sitting at a stop sign and gave the car a moderate amount of pedal, it launched off and couldn't help but laugh like a kid to see this, what used to be a slugmobile scooting from a stop. Not only that but from any part of the rev range the car would respond quick to throttle input while in a held gear.

I now actually thoroughly enjoy driving my car. Later this year he started changing maps that had to do with the torque management. Along came the torque management patch. This seemed to have an effect on the car from take off and upshifts. The lower-mid half of the RPM with moderate throttle, the shifts blip, almost like having a valvebody mod, which I don't have. This is also found in the ECU of the manual transmission. Ask the multiple guys he's tuned from the 5th Gen LGT's.

I was there testing these in person. I know how the car was before and how it was after. I've got a folder of dozens of ROM's. This will probably seen as "advertising" so hopefully OP gets to see it and judge on his own where he'd like to go.

It's sad to see someone putting so much effort into bettering these grandmobile's from stock and being swept under the rug.

I've been trying to keep out of these threads but I'm putting my 2cents in. I'll just start with video:

It's pretty obvious which one is shifting better.

I've been with XRT since July of 2016. I've personally have been helping with the shifting and response of the 5EAT/3.6R combination. He's knows what he's doing. He's not just changing CT tables, or DBW maps. It's much more than that. Things that (from what I understand) no other tuners will touch. He's not just gonna show the world what he's doing because that would give anyone else the ability to do so. He does NOT tune the TCU. This is not possible yet. Multiple places it's listed "in-direct tuning".

Back in Jan/Feb I started to help with testing of ROM's. He sent me one and I'll never forget after loading it and driving around. I was sitting at a stop sign and gave the car a moderate amount of pedal, it launched off and couldn't help but laugh like a kid to see this, what used to be a slugmobile scooting from a stop. Not only that but from any part of the rev range the car would respond quick to throttle input while in a held gear.

I now actually thoroughly enjoy driving my car. Later this year he started changing maps that had to do with the torque management. Along came the torque management patch. This seemed to have an effect on the car from take off and upshifts. The lower-mid half of the RPM with moderate throttle, the shifts blip, almost like having a valvebody mod, which I don't have. This is also found in the ECU of the manual transmission. Ask the multiple guys he's tuned from the 5th Gen LGT's.

I was there testing these in person. I know how the car was before and how it was after. I've got a folder of dozens of ROM's. This will probably seen as "advertising" so hopefully OP gets to see it and judge on his own where he'd like to go.

It's sad to see someone putting so much effort into bettering these grandmobile's from stock and being swept under the rug.

At one point I'll post a vid of my 08 LGT with the TM patch. I could load a Cobb as well to compare how the TM tuning has a more direct power delivery (READ no slip), than a car that hasn't been tuned in the same way. This makes the car really fast in low to mid throttle driving. I guess there will be folks that will be sceptical but the is life. Driving the car back to back with other tunes really is interesting.

I believe I heard that these trans are good for 450-500 flywheel HP (350ish+/- whp) as long as they do not get burnt out or brake launched... that is, if there is an ATF cooler properly temperature regulated, fluid flushes every 30k, and adjustments to line pressure and/or valvebody upgrade to decrease clutch slippage time.

Then again, what do I know :(

It's not like it's hitting high boost at 1500, it's the cam tuning that feels like it opens it up and allows it to get alive instantly.

In terms of the trans...who knows. The shift is quick and firm and doesn't slip. At what point will it slip with a '08+trans? who knows. I'm considering a turbo upgrade at the moment, but likely will be the mildest option available. I like the quickness of the car now and the feel. We have some amazing driving roads here, but no real opportunity to open it up. Quicker spool the better. I'm even entertaining a Twin Scroll setup. There are full header/turbo setups coming off imported JDM front clips by the dozens these days! Speaking of which, the TS hits higher load earlier than our cars on 5EAT's so maybe we're good?

Archived