LegacyGT.com

The $75 Oil Change

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 or 3 years, then change it out?

If you ever remove the valve for some reason, replace the washer with a new one. Otherwise ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I posted this over in the 5th Gen forums because I forgot where I saw this original post

A few days ago someone posted a note about "The $75" oil change....man I wish I could get one of those. I went to my dealership this morning for a complimentary oil change.... They do a monthly draw and a few winners get a free oil,filter and safety inspection... Lucky me!! ;) So I asked them what their regular fee is for just a drain, fill and filter....quick and easy!!

Brace yourself....they tell me that it would be $99 plus an up-charge of $40 because the 3.6R requires a "Special" grade of synthetic oil (Different than what they use in all other Subraus) on top of that is "Shop fees" and taxes.....SO a quick dump and fill oil change would be $174....that is about $138 USD

Where can I find that $75 oil change?? :(

I posted this over in the 5th Gen forums because I forgot where I saw this original post

A few days ago someone posted a note about "The $75" oil change....man I wish I could get one of those. I went to my dealership this morning for a complimentary oil change.... They do a monthly draw and a few winners get a free oil,filter and safety inspection... Lucky me!! ;) So I asked them what their regular fee is for just a drain, fill and filter....quick and easy!!

Brace yourself....they tell me that it would be $99 plus an up-charge of $40 because the 3.6R requires a "Special" grade of synthetic oil (Different than what they use in all other Subraus) on top of that is "Shop fees" and taxes.....SO a quick dump and fill oil change would be $174....that is about $138 USD

Where can I find that $75 oil change?? :(

In your garage :)

Oil -$26

Filter - $7

Fumoto w/lockout clip - $29

oil collection pan - $10

cold beer - $3

over time your beer budget will go up ;)

You may need an extra quart in your 3.6, so you won't get the beer first time around.

I've heard all sorts of things from dealers. One even told me that the 3.6 cannot take synthetic oil and must be filled with the special subaru mineral oil.

I really don't know if the engine can tell the difference between the two...

I am too old and too lazy to do it myself.....those days are WAY behind me, but there are lots of places that will do it for about 1/2 that dealers price.... I was flabbergasted when he told me that price.....he even said it with a straight face :(

Whaaat? That’s insanity. Just go off what the manual says. 5w30 synthetic is recommended, but conventional is acceptable. Hell, you can use other viscosities also in a pinch per the manual. Personally I run Mobil 1 HM in my OB, but I will be switching to Penn Plat on the new one. From what I’ve read on BITOG it has some better attributes.

I started doing my own change this year. I wish I did it long ago. It’s easy, I trust myself, and dare I say fun?

Start to finish including setup and taking all tools out and tools away probably takes me an hour, but that also includes me waiting for the motor to cool so i don’t burn myself on the ring of fire on the EJ 253. Otherwise probably 45 minutes.

I just changed the oil on my 2011 Outback 3.6R last weekend. Been doing it myself once it came out of warranty. I've been changing oil since I bought my 1997 BMW M3 new, and I still have it to this day. The factory service interval on the M3 is every 10,000 miles, but I would change it every 5000. Once it fell out of warranty, I've done it exclusively. I never paid more than $80 to have the M3 oil changed at the dealership but that was 16 years ago (4 year warranty).

Anyway, I'm still letting the dealer change the oil on my 2017 3.6R Legacy but I will do it myself once it drops out of warranty. Which Fumito valve is the correct one for the 3.6R engine? Every time I go under the car, I think about getting one but I get nervous about the reliability. Someone mentioned there are locking versions of it now? I'm guessing I can use the same one on both the Legacy and Outback since they are both 3.6R engines.

You would need the F105. You can get the short nipple version if you would like to attach it to a hose to drain directly into the pan but you’ll still need a drain pan because of the bottom mount filter. Yes, there is a locking clip available now as an accessory but the action to open a Fumoto is really safeguarded against an accidental opening. You have to turn it with two distinct actions.

http://www.fumotousa.com/results.php?make=77&year=2017&model=35530&makeid=SUBARU&modelid=LEGACY+3.6L+H6

Every time I go under the car, I think about getting one but I get nervous about the reliability. Someone mentioned there are locking versions of it now? I'm guessing I can use the same one on both the Legacy and Outback since they are both 3.6R engines.

The Fumoto valves have always locked from day one. The clip is new for paranoid folks willing to pay an extra $3. Highly recommend and extremely reliable!

• 3 weeks later...
Manchester Subaru are the people who told me rotors will warp in a 1,000 miles. Told the meathead service mangers I was born at night but not last night. My rotors were warped at 15,000 and the finally took care of it at 35,000 after I gave them a bunch of sh!t Good price on a new car but fools in the service dept.

.... i have similar morons at suburban and bertera subaru.

Not bad but have you thought of supplying your own oil??? Less than $25 at Walmart for 5 quarts...filter is about $6 so $31 in parts. My dealer charges me $15 to do the oil change so my total cost is well under $50.

That's a good idea. If I was more frugal about my living situation I would consider it. However, I don't mind supporting the local economy here. :cool: :cool: :cool:

That's a good idea. If I was more frugal about my living situation I would consider it. However, I don't mind supporting the local economy here. :cool: :cool: :cool:

$65 is a pretty decent price. I'd say anything from $50 to $75 is fair considering the convenience and you can hang out in the lounge and grab a coffee and check out the new models while they are working on the oil change.

With volume purchase the parts should probably cost the dealer about $20 if not less.

Archived