LegacyGT.com

Steering response?

I know this car wasn't ever designed to be nor will it ever be a sports car. I enjoy it's comfort but I can't stand how unresponsive the car can be at times. I purchased a perrin steering damper lockdown although I doubt that will do much to be honest. Thinking along the lines of using the STi or crosstrek sway bar, I was curious if the STi 13:1 or new 11:1 steering rack would be able to get working? I already have stickier tires. Before going with the H&R Springs, which I will be doing at some point, and losing some of the ride comfort, are there any more mods to make this guy a bit more responsive and controllable? I swear my Evo VIII GSR has ruined every car for me since

Search is you friend...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/first-post-installed-20mm-sway-bar-265519.html?t=265519&highlight=sway+bar

Start with the sway bar, here is the link to thread, I personally went with the 20mm RSB and noticed a huge improvement in the corners. Most noticeable upgrade under $100

..and bigger end links too .

Totally unnecessary. Hard sway bar bushing if anything to make them respond to directional changes quicker.

What tires are you on? And don't knock the steering damper lockdown just yet, install it, it gives significant improvement in response. Chances are the STi steering racks, which are hydraulic, are not compatible with your electronic power steering.

I know this car wasn't ever designed to be nor will it ever be a sports car. I enjoy it's comfort but I can't stand how unresponsive the car can be at times.

We essentially have the same car, so I know what you mean. I only recently got the steering as sharp as I like (after 22mm Whiteline rear sway bar, Perrin steering dampener lockdown, front strut tower brace, coilovers, and aftermarket wheels and tires).

I purchased a perrin steering damper lockdown although I doubt that will do much to be honest.

As GTEASER says, give it a go. To me, it's the most bang-for-buck steering upgrade, beating even a thicker sway bar. IMHO, it's the best kept secret around.

I already have stickier tires.

Stock wheels? What tire specs? Wheels with wide increased offset change your car's track, scrub radius, etc, and can affect how your steering feels. Personally, I prefer a wider track.

And... strut tower braces (aka front strut bars) are really controversial on this forum. Many folks have already opined about how they don't make a difference, and are merely rice. I can only share my own experience. My Cusco front strut brace improved the immediacy of my initial steering response. Bone-stock Outbacks in my local Outback and Legacy club report the same findings. Initial turn-in is sharper. ymmv, I guess, but I'd recommend steering dampener lockdown, rear sway bar, coilovers/springs, and front strut brace, in that order.

@redvenetian on Instagram

+1 on the decreasing wheel offset to change the scrub radius and track. And a strut tower bar. I noticed the improvement from a strut tower bar after installing it. I had been on the Koni/H&R setup with wider tires and wheels for 30k miles, and the strut tower bar does do some magic for sure.

I am going to be putting the steering damper lockdown in. I've noticed more of the body roll is in the upper portion of the car now. I'll either be going with the SSD or Cusco front strut bar and most likely rear strut bar. I even noticed Cusco makes a bunch of under body braces too. I'm all for chassis stiffening but that usually helps with maximum grip more than quick inputs and responses. Surmiser, which coilovers did you go with? If I do Coilovers instead of just H&R Springs, I'll probably go Cusco zero-1's but I don't have 2Gs to spend just yet

... To me, it's the most bang-for-buck steering upgrade, beating even a thicker sway bar. IMHO, it's the best kept secret around. ...

Shhh.:) It definitely is.

JRu17, see my & surmiser’s impressions in this topic.

I put some tips & cautions for fitting in my post #6 in that topic.

It won’t turn your Legacy into an Evo, but it will improve it.

You'll get a big improvement by using larger wheels/shorter sidewalls. I went +2 on mine: 19x8 Enkei Raijin wheels with 245/50R19 Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires. The diameter is the same as stock, but the 50 profile vs. the stock 65 profile makes a world of difference. The Enkeis have a 45 mm offset which gives the wider tires the same clearance to the spring perch and strut as stock.

http://legacygt.com/forums/moz-extension://176116eb-f2e3-4542-9853-d50e14b56469/informenter-marker-1.png

What are the possible side effects of using a larger Sway bar? I'd consider going to a 19" for the Gen6 Legacy, not sure I'd want to do 20? Does this put wear and tear on any of the other components? Does it affect traction control?

What are the possible side effects of using a larger Sway bar?

Increased end link wear, depending on your commute.

Right now, stock wheels with some stickier potenzas til I'm sure it's not going to snow

Then you might like the difference wheels with a more aggressive offset would make.

I even noticed Cusco makes a bunch of under body braces too. I'm all for chassis stiffening but that usually helps with maximum grip more than quick inputs and responses.

Yeah, which is why I've resisted splurging on Cusco's rear strut bar and lower rear bar, even though I've been sorely tempted for months.

Surmiser, which coilovers did you go with? If I do Coilovers instead of just H&R Springs, I'll probably go Cusco zero-1's but I don't have 2Gs to spend just yet

I have Gecko Street coilovers. I started a thread about them. Folks laughed at me for using "janky offbrand Taiwanese" coilovers but 14 months and 15k miles on, I'm still really happy with their bang for buck. @RobbieGT is also running them on his 6th-gen 3.6. And Luis, who drives a 5th-gen LGT, sells them online.

@redvenetian on Instagram

What are the possible side effects of using a larger Sway bar? ...

On our Australian spec 2016 Liberty 3.6R with the 19mm STi rear bar it makes the car ride a fraction harsher on some pothole repaired rough bitumen roads. Also, on some fast sweeping corners on rough undulating surface bitumen roads the car isn’t as stable as with the stock 16mm rear bar, requiring a few more minor steering corrections to be made due to the car being thrown slightly off line.

Both the above are only marginal but noticeable to me during back to back testing. On good road surfaces I prefer the 19mm bar.

The Australian spec cars may have different tuned suspension to the USDM cars, so the USDM Legacy may be different.

Archived