LegacyGT.com

issue: Car does not fully warm up

First off my car is under warranty for 7/100K bumper to bumper and as such I need my dealer to fix it.

The colder it gets the less heat I am getting from my car... I believe that the issue is a t-stat that is not working properly

When the car shuts, off I believe that the t-stat is not closing completely as it should so when I go to start the car the next time it takes FOREVER to start getting heat.

Last year when it was -26f outside my car was giving me vent temps of 70F even after 20+ miles of driving and the car never came out of cold operation (ie 3 grand on the tachometer when going 55) so I took it in and they said "cannot duplicate the problem" so I asked what did you do? they said "we let the car sit and warm up" I said that's not what Subaru recommends so let the car get cold and then go drive it... not fixed. Fuel mileage during this time was a paltry 23mpg mixed on a route that I get 32+

Now it is in the low 30's upper 20's and we are back to crap mileage and prolong cold weather warm up.

so any ideas and anyone else notice this on their 2013+ car?

for comparison I can take my 2003 Legacy with 120K on it and drive the exact same route and by the time I am out of our community, the temp gauge is already moving up off of the C mark and the car is getting warm. by the time I am to my first turn heat is on.... fuel mileage on same route.. unaffected at 25mpg (average for this car on that route)

It sounds like the thermostat is stuck open. Crap mileage and the temp gauge staying low is what you would expect. Coolant always circulates in the heater when the engine is running, whether thermostat is open or closed.

The classic test for a thermostat is to remove it and place it in a pan, then add boiling hot water. You should see the thermostat go from closed to fully open. The dealership is not going to duplicate the problem in a nice warm shop, they need to go drive around in the cold for awhile.

I have already asked them to take the car out when COLD and do not let it warm up per Subaru recommendations... I might just change this part myself

I already know what is up with the T-stat due to the data logger plugged into OBDII port.

Along with a failed open Thermostat, low coolant can cause a no, low, or inconsistent heat issue was well. You may also have a bad heater core, or clogged line. I know on my last car, I got a Check Engine light when the thermostat went out based on the coolant temp sensor which triggers the OK to go open loop operation, failure to do so can cause an increase in fuel consumption. I'd start with the thermostat, use an OE Subaru of the OE temp or go to a different dealer, honestly you shouldn't have to fix this yourself.

Also, radiator hoses can collapse, but this typically has the opposite effect.

when you let it sit still or drive in low speeds after running it a bit you get HEAT like MAD so it is not a clogged anything issue. again the data logger shows temps dipping down into the 120-145F range while driving in cold weather... at highway speeds..

the 2003 Subaru Legacy shows temps remaining at 185+F even on the COLDEST days..

Coolant level is at the full mark when hot and at the cold level when cold

when you let it sit still or drive in low speeds after running it a bit you get HEAT like MAD so it is not a clogged anything issue. again the data logger shows temps dipping down into the 120-145F range while driving in cold weather... at highway speeds..

the 2003 Subaru Legacy shows temps remaining at 185+F even on the COLDEST days..

Coolant level is at the full mark when hot and at the cold level when cold

Change your thermostat already. It's clearly stuck open.

Last year .... so I took it in and they said "cannot duplicate the problem" so I asked what did you do? they said "we let the car sit and warm up" I said that's not what Subaru recommends so let the car get cold and then go drive it... not fixed.

so have you taken it to the dealer?

:cool:

so have you taken it to the dealer?

yes I have and the first go around was NPF (no problem found)

I have an appointment on Tuesday and I was looking for things that I would use to get them to fix the issue

I already mentioned no heat and crap mileage so

this morning I started up the car and coolant temp started at 86F and 10 miles later it was at 190F. The trip includes

3 stop signs

4 traffic lights

during the summer I average 30mpg on this route and now I am at 23.X

gotta love it when people say do that shit your self when it is under warranty lol...

gotta love it when people say do that shit your self when it is under warranty lol...

I might just change this part myself

I already know what is up with the T-stat due to the data logger plugged into OBDII port.

Why you gotta keep taking digs at someone else when you're the one that said it first? I was merely trying to save you from yourself. You obviously are deeply troubled by having to deal with the dealerships service department and even though you know how to fix it, you think we want to hear all your bitching and moaning about the dealership. Make a decision already and either fix it yourself or relegate yourself to quietly dealing with the dealership's process to get it fixed....under warranty.

Why you gotta keep taking digs at someone else when you're the one that said it first? I was merely trying to save you from yourself. You obviously are deeply troubled by having to deal with the dealerships service department and even though you know how to fix it, you think we want to hear all your bitching and moaning about the dealership. Make a decision already and either fix it yourself or relegate yourself to quietly dealing with the dealership's process to get it fixed....under warranty.

I clearly asked any ideas to get the dealer to fix it and if any one else had this issue...

very first sentence

"First off my car is under warranty for 7/100K bumper to bumper and as such I need my dealer to fix it."

This is a service I paid for and I expect them to honor their end of the deal. Not that hard to get.... Do you honestly think I can change the thermostat and then turn around and bill Subaru for my time and parts?

Thermostat from Subaru $35

my time 1 hour

Subaru based upon the labor rates around here I would like you to cut me a check for $200

but if you are fine with doing stuff for free that is covered under warranty....

I kind of think he was referring to the amount of aggravation and time it cost to get that warranty honored a thermostat is fairly easy to change. This is also why I generally forego warranties. They are good for very large expensive failures but for small inconsequential things that are more likely to occur its cheaper to just diy.

To be honest, you've probably spent more on your time trying to get them to honor the warranty than just having done it. I've only ever had a warranty be useful once, the rest of the time they made it so time consuming and aggravating that it wasn't worth it. So I generally don't pay for them any more. That said, best of luck at the dealer and hopefully you can convince them to replace the thermostat for ya, at least you know you should be getting the OEM stat that these cars dearly love...

You have the option of getting a prorated refund on that extended warranty.

If you have a garage or even any semi-decent private space to work on your car, then maybe cut your losses and just go ahead with the replacement procedure.

Archived