LegacyGT.com

New here - quick q's about mods

Howdy everyone. Newer here to the forum and subaru world. I just purchased my first subaru - an 09' outback xt 5mt with 64k on the clock. It's exactly what I've been looking for as my daily driver that I can also have a little fun With.

The previous owner gave me tons of parts he had been acquiring to eventually put on the obxt. I've been spending the past week reading, searching, getting used to this car and also ordered a Cobb accessport v3 which will he here Monday 😊

So here's my question(s)

He gave me a perrin catted downpipe, avo v2 tmic, bigger injectors(I haven't actually looked to see what they are yet), a spare stock turbo that he acquired blown to rebuild as a backup.

From what I've been reading, does it make sense to install the tmic? The downpipe, I get. I don't plan on doing any other exhaust work at least until spring. Once the accessport arrives I'm going to load stage 1 and drive it like that until a nice day comes around where I can install the dp and change settings(maybe to a stage 2 tune?) but is it worth it to put the tmic on an otherwise pretty stock setup?

Any input is greatly appreciated. And honestly, I've been searching and reading but haven't quite found what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Cheers

Rick.

It's good to change one thing at a time if you can. That way, if you encounter problems you will have a better idea where to look.

Another good principle to follow is to make sure everything is healthy and maintenance is up-to-date before adding new mods. If you know the maintenance history that will help you a lot.

The stock TMIC is a bit weak. It is usually OK to around Stage 2, but once you get into higher boost it can begin to leak and separate at the plastic end tanks. If you install the new TMIC it will give you a chance to take care of some items under the intercooler. Once the intercooler is removed, you can easily change the PCV valve assembly, if this has not been done. Also, there is a blue plastic vacuum line tee under there, where the vacuum lines tend to blow off. You can replace the plastic tee with a metal version and firmly clamp all vacuum lines in place. Inspect all your vacuum lines and replace any that look old and brittle. Also, inspect your turbo inlet pipe. These tend to get weak and develop cracks or leaks.

If the intercooler comes with an air splitter, you should install that at the same time.

Once you install your downpipe and go to the Stage 2 OTS map, consider getting a protune. The OTS is OK, but it is generic and sub-optimal.

Excellent, thank you that's great advice and information. Having been a audi tech and had a few other cars I've toyed with(including my heads/cam/440hp ls1 camaro), maintenance is my first priority.

This weekend I plan on going through some basics, oil change, new/gapped spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, etc. While I'm waiting and getting used to the car.

And yes, from what I've read and believe from my ls1 build, I do intend on a protune/dyno. Just assumed for now a accessport would be a great start.

Thanks!

Yup the off the shelf tune is pretty rich, (to keep it safe), if your comfortable wrenching, the DP install isn't that bad and then you can safely install stg.2. Did the same thing here, bought an '08 Outback XT 5MT super clean with 53Kmi. and just swapped out the upipe, (was rusting thru) and the DP so I could go to stg. 2. and get pro tuned. Not touching it beyond that power wise, as my '05 Legacy GT wagon is track car that sees routine flogging. I might mention that the stock Outback brakes are barely adequate at OEM power levels and woefully inefficient at higher power levels. The GT OEM brakes, (front) are a nice upgrade and not expensive if you can find a used set to refurb. Highly recommended :)

Make sure you only use the correct NGK spark plug or one step colder. I run one step colder because they are less $$. Both my cars have them.

removing the DP the first time is the hardest, after that...I can swap my catless to stock in 45 minutes, (emission test every 2 years).

While the pipe is off check turbo for shaft play. No play is best, in/out up/down, side/side.

Learn how to check the oil level its a PITA in these cars. I drive to work, park on level ground, open hood remove dipstick, loosen oil fill cap, close hood go to work. after work, open hood, wipe dipstick, check oil level. Top off as needed. NEVER let it get low.

You have a good back ground, keeping this car happy should be easy for you. These cars need TLC but return great bang for the buck.

Where do you live ? There are a few great Tuners out there, we know who they are and will send to one close to you.

For tranny and rear diff fluids, due at every 30,000 miles, Motul Gear 300 is the best stuff currently, IMO I will not use anything else.

When it comes time for a clutch ask us first, I like Spec 2+ clutches. Install Moore Performance Blast Plates on the 5mt. Amazing what they do for every shift.

The AVO tmic can be a PITA to install, the stock TB hose is...well...crappy. Both my cars have the Grimmspeed tmic. For the stock style tmic, I've learned to leave the turbo los on the up pipe so it can move around. Get the tmic mounted to the TB while the bolts are lose in the turbo outlet and inlet.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet that one of the most important things is to verify that turbo oil feed banjo bolt filter screen is removed. If it has not, remove it ASAP.

Hey, we all can't think of everything...all the time. :)

There are a lot of things to watch with these cars. Best thing the he can do is read the threads here.

Hey, wait a minute, its an 09' so not a big issue. My 09 has them both installed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Wait, I was reading about the banjo bolts and then saw your thread - are they on EVERY 2.5t? Because it was a but confusing and search didn't yield much to confirm whether or not my 09' has the banjo bolt filters.
The banjo bolt filters are there, but the passenger side one is in a different location than in the '05 - '06 cars. This causes some confusion.

Your should find one under the turbo inlet pipe. There seem to be fewer problems with this style, maybe because the filter is mounted vertically. Still a good idea to attend to these, though.

Archived