LegacyGT.com

2006 legacygt buying advice

I came across a 2006 legacygt with 103,500 miles on it. It had a collision with a deer and has a new hood, front quarterpanel and a bumper. Otherwise no rust on the car.

Mechanically it has just had the timing belt replaced and has new brakes and tires the whole way around.

I do not have any experience with the turbo motors, grew up with foresters and imprezas. I drive 60 hw miles one way for work and want a good commuter car with awd for the winter. Is there anything that I need to look for in these cars that may cause longevity problems or need major maintenance?

If you want toyota honda or hyundai level maintenance buy the non turbos. If you have always dreamed of learning more about whats under the hood, have a passion for a driver engaged experience, and can stomach a 6000 engine rebuild if it comes up in the next 2 years get the gt.

Compression check is a must. New turbos are a bad sign.

That being said, I have over 93,000 trouble free miles on my 05 Wagon since I decided to put the ej257 short block in and have the heads rebuilt before something happened. The turbo was replaced 12,000 miles before the engine. The car was Tuned by one of the best Tuners and run's like it.

If you do it right the first time...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Expect wheel bearings to be replaced the day you buy it, Subaru's eat wheel bearings (especially rear). If car is from north, expect rusty rear brake lines (there are two recalls that do nothing about it).

Were the timing belt and idlers replaced or just timing belt? If just belt, expect to replace the whole belt and idlers in 30k, if not sooner, also water pump (use OE only).

Expect needing a new clutch, especially since stock is dual mass. If auto, be extra careful on the lunches to not kill it.

Overall wouldn't be my first choice of a car when I have to drive 120 miles a day. Especially since gas mileage is bad.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I'd replace that turbo before it goes. 120,000 miles seems to be a good time to replace it, unless you know the history.

I check my vf52 for shaft play every time the down pipe off, it has zero play in any direction.

Have to agree, buy something that get's better mpg.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived