LegacyGT.com

New 5th Gen LGT in New Jersey (with questions)

Just gonna get my toes wet real quick.

My names Brett, from Central New Jersey. I found what i think was a great deal on a 2010 SWP LGT out in Massachusetts and picked it up a little more than week ago. From what i can tell, car is completely stock, was a one owner vehicle that was definitely driven on the highway. 207k miles in 7 years. Its the limited model with Harmon Kardon audio, navigation, auto dimming mirror, back up camera, fog lights, and to my surprise, puddle lights. Interior of the car is spotless, and the exterior is pretty close minus a small dent on both the roof and trunk, and its fair share of highway rock chips. I drove the car home for an even $5000

Managed to find some service records by using the mycarfax app (which was free?) and know that i have to do the timing belt asap as the current belt has 99k on it. Im planning to also do the tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, thermostat and housing. Is there anything else behing that timing belt cover that i should take care of while im in there?

IMG_3351.JPG.beab78822c777d0c4cffb243ae9c493b.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG.bda0c9da95b25c54381d733c085a3c17.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG.aa9258ce96e64aad3b02bbca4a135c3b.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG.cca2ce013076b31f5ee92470a21ba8c0.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG.34f80c223b594d8d2edf6023f87c6809.JPG

IMG_3349.JPG.b2c899ac43b071ddc9c378f20e0870fe.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG.04c20b926e97ac27b44e772ea0ac46a0.JPG

With 207K miles, this would be a good time for some TLC.

You have four cam seals and a crank seal. Most of the work in replacing these seals is done during the timing belt service. They will eventually leak but it is hard to say exactly when that will happen, so you could consider this cheap insurance.

It would be good to check your valve clearances. This is not a fun job, but this is a good opportunity with all the other things you are doing, you will avoid extra labor.

Spark plugs, if they have not been replaced in the last 60K miles, this is a good time.

Drive belts for alternator, P/S and A/C. There are two belts. They have to come off anyway for the timing belt service. Easy to replace them.

Radiator hoses. Inspect and replace if they are getting old.

Thermostat. Once again, you are in there already. Use only Subaru OEM thermostat. Aftermarket tend to cause issues.

Radiator pressure caps. There are two, different part numbers. Don't mix them up.

Check air filter. Replace if needed.

Clean battery case. Apply dialectric grease to top of battery and terminals.

Oil change. Use only synthetic oil and correct filter, every 3750 miles. Subaru OEM filter is fine.

With 207K miles, this would be a good time for some TLC.

You have four cam seals and a crank seal. Most of the work in replacing these seals is done during the timing belt service. They will eventually leak but it is hard to say exactly when that will happen, so you could consider this cheap insurance.

It would be good to check your valve clearances. This is not a fun job, but this is a good opportunity with all the other things you are doing, you will avoid extra labor.

Spark plugs, if they have not been replaced in the last 60K miles, this is a good time.

Drive belts for alternator, P/S and A/C. There are two belts. They have to come off anyway for the timing belt service. Easy to replace them.

Radiator hoses. Inspect and replace if they are getting old.

Thermostat. Once again, you are in there already. Use only Subaru OEM thermostat. Aftermarket tend to cause issues.

Radiator pressure caps. There are two, different part numbers. Don't mix them up.

Check air filter. Replace if needed.

Clean battery case. Apply dialectric grease to top of battery and terminals.

Oil change. Use only synthetic oil and correct filter, every 3750 miles. Subaru OEM filter is fine.

We've only got the one serpentine belt and a single radiator cap, but other than that, maybe tack valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals onto that list and call it good.

Depending on when the clutch was changed (or if, my '06 Baja you it's first clutch when I bought it at 173k miles), you may want to consider doing that while the engine is out. Like a lot of the other stuff on the list, a lot of the labor is already done (pulling the engine), so for the price of parts, you may as well. Plus, if you have any plans of making moar powuh in the future, now would be a good time to put in a beefier clutch, y'know, because racecar.

you may want to consider doing that while the engine is out.

where did he say he was pulling the engine?

Welcome Brett! Congrats on scoring a rare car! Do lots of reading here. This community is second to no other car forums, you'll find plenty of help from the very knowledgeable members here. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

I went ahead and ASSumed, probably because the only timing belt I've done was with the engine on a stand. It does make things like the timing belt job and checking valve clearances substantially easier when you can stand next to the engine and tip it on its side if you want, though.

Wow, looks like I found a good forum! Thanks for all the input. To clarify, timing belt will be done with the engine still in the car. Plan is to pull the radiator, accessory belt, crank pully, and hopefully that gets me access to the timing belt cover. I do intend to take care of this thing, as I can't seem to drive a vehicle knowing that something is flawed. A clutch, that I can do when the time comes. I'm thinking more along the lines of, "do it now, or you'll be sorry" lol. While the deal did leave me with some maintenance funds, I want to make sure the right things get fixed.

Air filter and oil have been changed

Timing belt, tensioner, idlers, thermostat, and water pump (with over 200k) seem like the obvious must fix items for now. I definitely agree with replacing those seals while I'm in there as well.

Radiator hoses do look like they have some age, so I'll pick those up in case they look worse after pulling them from the car

Radiator cap i don't think would be a must.

Turbo coolant lines? I'll have to read up on those and inspect them I suppose. The turbo itself has some rust on it, so I'm sure the lines do too.

The valve cover gasket and valve clearance check seems like a little much, but I am new to Subarus, and if the experts say check, then check I shall do.

Ahh, Spark plugs. On a boxer. I hear those are lots of fun. I can't be sure of there last replacement, but I do believe that for the cost of four spark plugs the peace of mind of having it done would be nice, and it could only help things run smoother. However, unless there easier to do with the radiator out, they will probably be put off for a short while longer.

Please correct me where I'm wrong (and explain). im currently a student majoring in electrical engineering, and while I like to think I know best, I love the :ohhh: moment when someone explains something logically, and it finally clicks. Thanks again!

Get a new radiator cap, you'll get some over heating if it decides to not seal properly. Cheap insurance.

Most likely the valve cover gaskets and valve clearances would be easier to do when the motor is out to do a clutch.

I did spark plugs for the first time on a local guys GT just last weekend. It's not hard, just fiddly, and it took us a good 4 hours tag teaming the effort. It could have been done faster, but I was teaching him and trying to help my other friend change the DP on his 05 WRX at the same time. You may want to replace the coil packs at the same time if they are original and showing signs of major rust and delamination. Good insurance against misfires.

Check out the DIY Maintenance and repair Sticky thread at the top of the 5th Gen section for walk thrus and info.

If the valve clearance is an issue it would show up as some light ticking on either side of the engine, not to be confused with the normal fuel injector tick which is at the base of the intake on either side of the engine, lol.

Subarus are known for fairly robust valvetrains so it isn't something I would be terribly concerned with unless there is a lot of rhythmic ticking or power loss that is otherwise unaccounted for.

Since you are trying to start of on the right foot here, I would look into doing a leakdown test on the engine since you are planning to do the plugs anyway. Also the timing belt change is a good chance to reseal the oil pump or replace it with a new unit or upgrade to an STI pump.

Welcome to the 5th gen GT ownership experience!

With the turbo motors, valve clearances tend to tighten as the miles go up. This can lead to burned exhaust valves. When valve clearances are too tight, you won't necessarily be able to hear that, but you may notice a gradual loss of power. Burned valves will lead to the heads needing a rebuild eventually. The intervals for checking clearances coincide with the timing belt service interval, so 105K miles. People don't want to do it or feel it is unnecessary because it is a pain.

So I think I've found everything I need, at least i hope so. Anybody notice anything wrong with this list?

Rock Auto

-Continental Timing Belt + Pulley Kit TB328K1 $126.79

SubaruPartsWarehouse

-Timing Belt Tensioner 13033AA042 $105.76

-Cam Oil Seal x4 806742160 $5.53 x4

-Camshaft Sprocket Bolt x4 13199AA000 $7.16 x4

-Oil Pump Seal 806733030 $6.68

-OEM Water Pump 21111AA380 $97.41

-Water Pump Gasket 21114AA051 $4.16

-Thermostat 21200AA072 $15.80

-Thermostat Gasket 21236AA010 $3.19

-Radiator Cap 45137AE00B $7.39