LegacyGT.com

new 3.0r mufflers, so much DRONE!!

So I just purchased a set of Nameless 5 inch mufflers for my stock 3.0r, and it may have been a mistake. From outside of the car it sounds fantastic, just barely louder than stock at idle and nice muffled scream on throttle. But inside it's a whole different story. From about 2300-2900rpm where I do most of my driving, the drone is bad. On flat ground it's just about unbearable but going up any kind of incline you can't even hear yourself think. The vibrations are almost painful.

I guess what I'm asking is does this seem normal for my setup? I know they drone more than the 4 cyl but I didn't expect this from just mufflers. I do still have the very worn stock hangers in the front with just the 2 rear hangers new urathane. Maybe swap them all out for fresh stock hangers? Any ideas would be great, I love hearing the 3.0r but with the drone nobody even wants to drive with me anymore.

It's normal because you're using small mufflers that were originally designed with a turbo engine. The turbo acts as a natural muffler since it blocks the exhaust path. Turbo engines dont produce as much noise an N/A engine (if were talking the same number of cylinders, design, etc). That's why cars like the Neon SRT4 and 500 Abarth get away with straight pipe exhausts from the factory.

You have to put in a bigger resonator (if possible) in your exhaust if you want to keep those small mufflers.

Thanks guys. I think I'll sell the nameless setup and get something quieter rather than try to hack into it.

Anyone know of any other options for axlebacks that are known to have less drone on the 3.0r? And should I use stock hangers or urethane? Thanks again.

I had the turboxs on my 05 LGT. Drone was way too loud dor me at cruising rpm. I took the turboxs cans off and put stock cans back on but left the turboxs midpipe on. Luckily they bolted right up as they have same flange spacing. Now it is livable but still us loudest at cruising. I think the drone is controlled by the size of the resonator much more than the mufflers.

Thanks guys. I think I'll sell the nameless setup and get something quieter rather than try to hack into it.

Anyone know of any other options for axlebacks that are known to have less drone on the 3.0r? And should I use stock hangers or urethane? Thanks again.

I like my Turbo XS mufflers. I know someone else who ran them on a 3.0R and he really liked them as well.

Thanks guys, I pulled the trigger on the turboxs cans. The mufflers are way bigger than the ones on my nameless setup I think that'll help a lot. My stock cans are shot so id need new ones AND I'd need custom work for a midpipe to fit the 3.0r. Didnt want to go that route, to me it made the most sense to just increase muffler size. I like the sound of your car legwag seems like a decent bump up in sound over stock but nowhere near annoying. Almost like a stock boxster.

I'm looking for mufflers for my 3.0 also. I don't want any drone at all but would like to hear the 3.0 kind of like in that video above when giving it some throttle. More like a porsche sound. Can anyone else voucher for hks or suggestion anything else?

I'm looking for mufflers for my 3.0 also. I don't want any drone at all but would like to hear the 3.0 kind of like in that video above when giving it some throttle. More like a porsche sound. Can anyone else voucher for hks or suggestion anything else?

I am waiting on new exhaust gaskets and hardware to install the HKS mufflers. I will post a video once they are installed so you can hear what they sound like. I do really like the sound of the Turbo XS mufflers if you can find them. They have no drone.

Archived