LegacyGT.com

Rusted Rear Brake Lines - Subaru won't honor their recall?

Somtimes, your car insurance may have some towing...?

Or like I say, having a AAA membership has benefits.

Yea, I ended up checking it out and have towing through my insurance. Planning to have them tow it once I inform the dealership that it's coming but want to wait till after my wife gets her second shot tomorrow since I have no clue how she going to feel afterwards yet. Want to be prepared for dealing with a sick wife and a month old baby, lol cant also be dealing with Subaru

My brake lines just blew a couple days ago, called SoA and informed them. They need to have an authorized Subaru shop look at it before they can make a decision on whether they will cover it or not. Need to tow my car over to the local Subaru at some point this week. Ugh, pain in the butt

How did it feel when they went out, I mean, how much braking power would you say you had? I hear you don't completely lose braking when it happens.

Similar to others . My Spec B. 2008 with 28000 km the rear break line fail when I was driving . Fortunately it was in the city a slow speed. Two recall were performed at the dealer few years ago. where they inspected and applied some type of grease. I drove limping to the dealer . They reviewed the car and consult with Subaru . I have to wait 2 day for their answer. Finally Subaru desición was to cover the repair. The parts were no in stock so the total time on the shop was 2 weeks. The dealer provide me with a brand new 0km Subaru Forester for that time. I was very nice of them.

How did it feel when they went out, I mean, how much braking power would you say you had? I hear you don't completely lose braking when it happens.

I initially notice it pop when I was at a stop light and the brake pedal went from hard to softer. I could definitely tell there was an issue, braking was not snappy, I was driving inside the city and along a route so speed was under 40 MPH for the most part. I been in cars without brakes before so it wasn't something new. I knew I had the e-brake available w/ the brake pedal if needed a sudden stop but mostly it was a giving myself a lot of room to slowly stop till I got home. I mean, in general, most of your braking is done in the front of the car anyways so while I really dont advise driving in those conditions, I did not feel it was dire for me to stop and get a tow home.

Been following this thread very closely so I gave mine a check, luckily they are still in good condition. Gonna hit them generously with some CRC Corrosion Inhibitor.c91d2ed6e51851f0063fa0ba4669f80e.jpg

Do you plan on replacing them anyway while the tank is out?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

that looks like the connector in the engine bay? can you replace the connector or is it the lines going into the connector that fail (didn't read all 309 posts).

not that it helps east coasters, but I'm stripping a west coast car. Pulling the brake lines this weekend. If I can find a box, any interest?

Do you plan on replacing them anyway while the tank is out?

These days I'm trying my best to fight off mission creep or "while I'm in there" syndrome. I gave it a good brush down and doused it in CRC Corrosion Inhibitor, which I've found more durable than Fluid Film. I'm going to stick to inspecting it whenever I'm under the car.

that looks like the connector in the engine bay? can you replace the connector or is it the lines going into the connector that fail (didn't read all 309 posts).

If you're referring to my post, that is the one by the gas tank. It's a camera angle you won't see often because the gas tank is out. I believe it's the lines that usually fail.

Edited by Enlight

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Don't forget to inspect the the places where the line is clipped to the body, there's a couple of them next to the tank. It's kind of hard to truly inspect them with the clip in the way, but you can get a general idea

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCMN-14V311-4153.pdf

What he said!

Mine had not leaked yet and I didn't think that looked that bad, but replaced them "while I was there" when I recently rehabbed my Spec B. Turned out the corrosion at the clips was much worse than I thought, and they bent/cracked while I was removing them, they were almost rotted all the way through. I feel like I dodged a bullet on that one.

that looks like the connector in the engine bay? can you replace the connector or is it the lines going into the connector that fail (didn't read all 309 posts)...

It is the same as the one in the engine bay, they are brass and doubt they would fail themselves, but the steel nuts can be so corroded that they are impossible to remove, certainly was the case with mine. I actually used a factory engine bay block to make the splice under the back seat when I replaced my rear lines.

Gary

block.thumb.jpg.a334e52d21f803a67f21972ab085b3ca.jpg

Edited by All_talk

It is the same as the one in the engine bay, they are brass and doubt they would fail themselves, but the steel nuts can be so corroded that they are impossible to remove, certainly was the case with mine. I actually used a factory engine bay block to make the splice under the back seat when I replaced my rear lines.

Gary

That should have been design from the beginning. Not sure what Subaru was thinking. So based on your photo the rear lines can be routed inside the cabin?

That should have been design from the beginning. Not sure what Subaru was thinking. So based on your photo the rear lines can be routed inside the cabin?

I replaced my lines with factory parts (from my parts car), they follow the factory path. The lines from front to rear are inside, the lines go through the rubber plug to the rear junction block under the car (in the other pictures on this page), then split left and right. The front to rear lines can't be replaced as one piece without disassembling the interior, including the dash and HVAC system. So many of us have done a splice under the back seat to avoid all the work, I just used factory parts to do the job. So my car now has three junction blocks, the front, the rear and the splice.

All that said, I have seen others run a new custom line under the back seat to the left side of the car. I think this was done more to avoid removing the subframe/gas tank than to stop future corrosion. Afterall, they still have to go under the car to get to the brakes.

Gary

The reason some use the new Nicopp lines is they don't corrode like the factory stuff does.

My 86' F150 had the rear lines replaced back in the late 90's. the lines still have no corrosion on them.

DSCN9245.thumb.JPG.aa0dfed19fe680a4a7f90b331f49e259.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

Our 2005 went 150,000 and did have both wax-coating recalls performed. However, it was a half-ass job that allowed corrosion to take root. We had our back seat out because the fuel pump canister had cracked on top - so fuel was the first to leak, not brake fluid.

So, new fuel tank and pump from an online Subie dealer in NC wasn't too painful. New OEM rear brake lines (hard lines and flex lines) and junction block from our local dealer. We used our trusted independent mechanic (who still takes my calls, knock on wood). Subaru did give us a parts and service coupon, but they should have done more.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

I called Quirk Subaru in Quincy, MA to have my car towed there for the Airbag recall and for them to check out my brakes situation, and Service Agent said that they do not diagnose vehicles older than 10 years or more than 100k miles. I was like "Excuse me, that seems like a terrible policy. Its a Subaru, not a Yugo". He responded "Unfortunately, that is our dealership policy, you can tow it in for the Airbag, we will gladly take care of that but we wont diagnose the brake issue", was so frustrated I hung up on the dude while he was talking. Got another Subaru Dealership to put me down on the schedule but kinda pissed since the other dealership is further away. Don't know if this is something SoA should be aware of.

I called Quirk Subaru in Quincy, MA to have my car towed there for the Airbag recall and for them to check out my brakes situation, and Service Agent said that they do not diagnose vehicles older than 10 years or more than 100k miles. I was like "Excuse me, that seems like a terrible policy. Its a Subaru, not a Yugo". He responded "Unfortunately, that is our dealership policy, you can tow it in for the Airbag, we will gladly take care of that but we wont diagnose the brake issue", was so frustrated I hung up on the dude while he was talking. Got another Subaru Dealership to put me down on the schedule but kinda pissed since the other dealership is further away. Don't know if this is something SoA should be aware of.

Quirk is weird in a way. We bought our Tribeca B9 from them brand new in 2007 and they gave us price almost 4K less than next best offer. Sales manager said the owner finances the whole operation from his own money and does not have to pay interest hence can do much better on pricing.

I guess being more independent gives them some freedom but it sure sucks that they won't work on the vehicle.

I guess being more independent gives them some freedom but it sure sucks that they won't work on the vehicle.

The owner of Quirk has a lot of Real Estate in Quincy/Braintree so he can bankroll a lot of it, at one point (I only know this since I worked part of their ground facilities when I was younger) the space between the Subaru and Chevy used to have a bunch of different model corvettes he collected and used the space to showcase them. He also got sued a couple years ago due to illegal wages pay practices but I do not know if he was in on it and if it was just the dealership GMs skimming. He does have a lot of brands he sells

My 08 Legacy wagon just dumped a bunch of brake fluid on my driveway.

I spoke with the dealer, Hamilton Subaru, that did the recall work in '19 @ 194,000 KM... I don't drive my subie much anymore and it's only at 197,000 KM now.

Dealer says on the phone that the recall work shows as done so not be eligible in recall warranty... but 3000 KM and it fails? Not a very good solution! Clearly the lines were corroded and continued to corrode under their coating application.

I'm not sure if I have any standing to take this to Subaru of Canada, as clearly their procedure under the recall is ineffective.

Take it to any quickie brake shop and get it done for less than $500CAN.

That is what I did about 10 years ago. It was done on at Saturday morning.

The Subie grease had been applied less than 12 months before.

I spoke with the dealer, Hamilton Subaru, that did the recall work in '19 @ 194,000 KM... I don't drive my subie much anymore and it's only at 197,000 KM now.

Dealer says on the phone that the recall work shows as done so not be eligible in recall warranty... but 3000 KM and it fails? Not a very good solution! Clearly the lines were corroded and continued to corrode under their coating application.

I'm not sure if I have any standing to take this to Subaru of Canada, as clearly their procedure under the recall is ineffective.

I would still have them diag the location and grab pics then talk to Subaru of America and see whats up since they will be the one to approve the payment of replacement under warranty or not.

That is my current process since there is a chance they will pay for it under warranty

My Experience: Last year in April, I noticed a failure on my 2005 LGT with about 235k km at the time. To make a long story short. I first called Subaru Canada and told them everything I knew about this issue and how it was a recall at one point and how this is a huge safety concern, etc. She told me she would call me back after talking to Subaru in Kitchener (Gemini motors), and she did telling me that they would pay for it and cover the repair. Which is exactly what happened.

Now, GEMINI motors destroyed my door and some other plastic pieces on the inside as they were pulling old brake lines out. They kept ignoring my emails, etc. so I went to the wreckers and got some replacement parts myself.

My Experience: Last year in April, I noticed a failure on my 2005 LGT with about 235k km at the time. To make a long story short. I first called Subaru Canada and told them everything I knew about this issue and how it was a recall at one point and how this is a huge safety concern, etc. She told me she would call me back after talking to Subaru in Kitchener (Gemini motors), and she did telling me that they would pay for it and cover the repair. Which is exactly what happened.

Now, GEMINI motors destroyed my door and some other plastic pieces on the inside as they were pulling old brake lines out. They kept ignoring my emails, etc. so I went to the wreckers and got some replacement parts myself.

I just got into and accident here in Toronto a month ago because brake line ruptured. On Highway. Subaru Canada just told me to deal with insurance company. Insurance doesn't cover mechanical. Subaru Canada and Dealer don't take responsibility they say after recall was completed on both the line and the pipe. WTF. I am now dealing with one of their senior staff. This is insane and they should be taking responsibility. Perhaps some kind of class action should be in the works. We all could have been killed or killed someone else, children, hoards awaiting a bus, it's insane. I was quoted about $750 Canadian by my mechanic for repair of lines if nothing is rusty underneath like bolts and stuff. So this is common fail even after the recall.