LegacyGT.com

The Official F1 Thread - V2

SBT

If you have two top teams close to each other on the grid then the probability is a lot higher that they will get into a clash at the first lap than a clash between the first and the last car on the grid.

I wonder what Hamilton would have said if it was like Alonso that took him for a ride instead at that point.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGldmdVxXEY]Kimi Raikkonen & Vettel Funny Reaction to Hamilton's Words about recent Lap 1 Incidents! - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt this stupid young American kid is going to make it to F1, and that's a good thing.

He was driving in the paddock in his F2 car while on his cell phone and his race glove off. Then he deliberately crashed into his teammate on the cool down lap. Now he faces at least a two race ban while being at the bottom of the points.

Hey stupid. FOCUS! You obviously didn't get to F2 with talent.

https://www.motorsport.com/fia-f2/news/ferrucci-handed-ban-for-deliberate-maini-hit-1057775/

One thing to do it with glove off, but on the phone... :spin:

453747.png

I really liked Jacques Villeneuve as a driver but usually his opinions on F1 nowadays are wacky. However, on this one I agree. He thinks at the British GP, if Kimi had spun Bottas instead of Lewis, the time penalty would've been only 5 seconds rather than 10. I'll go one further. If Kimi had spun Bottas in Austria rather than Vettel, the time penalty would've been 10 sec rather than 5 sec. Gotta keep the championship close!

It would be nice if the penalties were consistent from race to race if you're going to have them. Stop being so damn subjective.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/villeneuve-raikkonen-penalty-less-severe-if-he-hit-bottas-1058399/

I'd say that the case where Kimi bumped Hamilton was just a race incident and not really intentional - it could have gone way worse for both of them if it had been someone else there. Hamilton just whined a lot about it. Another time it could be the other way around.

marioandretti1-2x.jpg

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...

I bet Hamilton is counting his blessings since he has to start at the back of the grid for the German GP. Now he doesn't have to be worried about being taken out from behind by a Ferrari again :p

Bottas, however, is quaking in his race boots. Or maybe he'll pull a Senna move like 1989 at Suzuka and take Vettel out at the start to help his buddy Lewis. Then Kimi might actually win a race again!

Ok, wait. I was mistaking Bottas for Nelson Piquet, Jr. for a second. Bottas wouldn't do that. On purpose.

Edited by KartRacerBoy

The commentators were exactly right about the rain. One said when rain is predicted, usually its a few drips during the race and then it hits big time during the podium ceremony. 100% accurate prediction! :lol:

Fun race, too, though I was saddened by the Ferrari and Mercedes team orders.

Missing Hungary today (fly fishing). Doesn't look like I miss anything. Typical Hungarian GP aside from Bottas' tires going away. This seems to happen to him far more often than Hamilton. Guess who's better at tire management?

Looks like the most exciting thing about the race was Toto Wolff's "wingman" comment that got Valteri miffed.

However, I did just watch the Mid-Ohio IndyCar race. Great stuff with this years aero package. Lots of passing all around the track. Outside. Inside. These cars are nearly as fun to watch as the early 90s Champ Cars. Keep the downforce as it is and add 150 hp for added fun.

I've been to Mid-Ohio once in the late 1990s for a sports car race. I wanted to hear the wail of a Ferrari V12 in the 333 SP before it was retired from racing (it was GREAT!). Great track to watch a race at. Better than Road America (too long, too few good viewing spots imo). If you guys haven't been there, you'd like it.

When I went to hear the 333 SP, it was the era of World Sports Cars. I could only hear the Ferrari V12 if it was alone, otherwise the big V8s of the Rileys and other American engine cars drowned its sonorous song out. The V12 was still of the era of relatively low revving motors (12-13,000 rpm) vs the ridiculous F1 cars with 15-18,000 rpm, which I found unpleasant and screetchy.

I heard F1 V10s at Indy and yeah, I can agree with that borderline unpleasant.

I remember hearing something about BAR Honda having idle problems at Indy 2004 and upping their idle to 9,000rpm. I was like "From what?????"

The first year F1 came to Indy, the last turn exiting onto the front straight, cars came within a foot of the wall. For some ungodly reason, no one at the track put up barriers preventing fans from pressing their faces against the cable fence on the wall. Without ear protection, my buddies and I stood next to that fence for about five minutes during practice before we couldn't take it anymore. THAT I did enjoy just becz of the force I felt through my body as the cars screamed past.

Next year, you couldn't get within 10 feet of the wall anywhere. :(

Holy shit. Daniel Ricciardo has signed with Renault for 2019. Bye-bye Red Bull Honda.

I hope Renault can give Daniel the chassis he and Hulkenburg deserve. I wonder how much of this was due to money and how due to RB's overt favoring of Verstappen despite Daniel's better results in every season to date.

I hope Daniel/Renault will be competitive. I'm also glad he didn't waste his talent at McLaren. Still a shame he couldn't get a seat at Mercedes or Ferrari to push the team #1 prima donna drivers in those teams. I wonder if Hamilton and Vettel have clauses in their contracts that allows them to veto the second team driver.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/renault-confirms-ricciardo-move-red-bull/3153206/

Either Daniel thinks Honda won't get its shit together next year or he thinks RB just doesn't support him like Verstappen. Or HUGE amounts of Renault money and he really thinks Renault can be a front runner rather than the best of the B teams.

Ricciardo now leaves a seat open at Red Bull. A nice place for Alonso if he's willing to risk more Honda but a great chassis. And would Honda even agree to Alonso after all the McLaren-Honda drama? Or will Gasly move up from Toro Rosso? Or Sainz back to RB from Renault since he's out of a seat? Or will Ocon leave the sinking ship of Force India and switch? This will be an interesting summer F1 break. :)

And wouldn't it be cool if Adrian Newey decided he wanted a new challenge and switch to Renault? Or back to McLaren? ;)

Edited by KartRacerBoy

Talk about a low key guy, Niki Lauda. He had a lung transplant becz of the damage his lungs suffered from inhaled fire, smoke and such in his 1976 Nürburgring near death experience. No big press conference. Just, once again, quietly getting the job done. I hope to see you soon at the races, but feel free to take more than the three or four weeks you took in '76 after your face and hands burned off before returning.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lauda-doctors-update-lung-transplant/3153403/

This is sad, stupid, and hilarious. Nascar's CEO Brian France was arrested for DUI and illegal possession of a narcotic (oxycodone). I wonder if he'll have to use Nascar's "Road to Recovery" program that their drivers have to use when testing positive for drugs or illegal alcohol use?

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-ceo-brian-france-arrested-for-dui-and-oxycodone/3154991/