LegacyGT.com

Eyesight pays for itself in real time...

All driver assistance features and safety systems should be shut off automatically if they detect that the driver has accessed Facebook while driving...

Right, so that person can then rear-end me without anything to slow him or her down? Genius!

IMO, the engine/motor should be shut off automatically if it's detected that the driver has accessed Facebook while driving.

How will any system know whether the driver is using the phone or a passenger? My wife has used my phone while I was driving.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How will any system know whether the driver is using the phone or a passenger?

I have no idea. It was just a whimsical, pie-in-the-sky idea, not intended to be taken seriously. That said, I'm sure that better minds than mine are working on real proposals that are similar.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I just left Liberty Mutual Insurance because they charged me more because my vehicle has EyeSight. When I say more, I mean literally $1000 more per year! Their logic is that it is more expensive to fix in the event of an accident, therefore the discount for accident avoidance features is negated.

I switched to Liberty Mutual in January because they offered a discount for having EyeSight. Huge savings for me.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

We now have 73,000 miles on our 2015 Legacy Limited - have lost count of how many times EyeSight has been activated. Only a couple of them may have resulted in an accident, but I am 100% sold on the tech.

We now have 73,000 miles on our 2015 Legacy Limited - have lost count of how many times EyeSight has been activated. Only a couple of them may have resulted in an accident, but I am 100% sold on the tech.

I wouldn't buy another car without it

Kinda where I was heading with the post as well. I traded and got this car because of two main factors-Eyesight and AWD. Neither of which is probably considered "sexy" as really it's safety oriented but avoiding even a fender bender is pretty cool and hi-tech in my book. I think this technology even though effective now, is in it's infancy and will be much more advanced and the "norm" in years to come. I'm in an industry where automation is the norm- from UAVs to cars to self driving tractors. I can imagine (sigh)sometime in the future where your beloved GTO is only allowed on certain designated roads because it's not automated and poses a risk. That would be a ways off I imagine.

Does it still have the issue of turning off when facing the sun?

My 1 year old has. And I don't think that can be resolved unless you add other methods like radar.

But it's a minor problem, it's only under very special circumstances it's a problem in reality.

453747.png

this has happened temporarily a couple of times, not often, and not on most sunny days.

i.e., this is not a big problem. The worst case scenario for Eyesight is driving rain or heavy snow, which shuts it off for a long period of time, and is driving where radar based systems are probably safer (though with limited traction, any automated braking systems will be less effective)

I haven't tested it in heavy fog, that probably would also disable it for more than a moment.

Maybe it's me but I wouldn't go into a public forum and testify that my car saved itself because my head was somewhere it shouldn't have been. I'd be ashamed actually, that my car had to save itself from destruction because of my incompetence. It's less a celebration of technology and more of a wake up call for me to pull my head out.

But that's me.

I'm right there with you. Every commercial I see shows some inattentive driver being saved by this technology. I especially love the commercial where the animals are mating and the driver is paying attention to that and not the road.

A nice technology but unnecessary if people would stop following too closely and pay attention to driving.

I'm right there with you. Every commercial I see shows some inattentive driver being saved by this technology. I especially love the commercial where the animals are mating and the driver is paying attention to that and not the road.

A nice technology but unnecessary if people would stop following too closely and pay attention to driving.

I do not fully agree. Eyesight Technology has save me from T Boning a vehicle when a driver made an illegal left turn in front of me. The system responded faster than I could moving my foot from the accelerator to the brake. That partial second time was the difference between collision and going home. It is kind of disingenuous to judge a technology that is a driver assistance without experience the benefits.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul[emoji16]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I do not fully agree. Eyesight Technology has save me from T Boning a vehicle when a driver made an illegal left turn in front of me. The system responded faster than I could moving my foot from the accelerator to the brake. That partial second time was the difference between collision and going home. It is kind of disingenuous to judge a technology that is a driver assistance without experience the benefits.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul[emoji16]

It is a good technology for those who aren't paying attention or practicing defensive driving.

It is a good technology for those who aren't paying attention or practicing defensive driving.
You must live in Utopia or Erewhon. People make mistakes sometimes. Sometimes it's ourselves, sometimes it's other people. Just because there is a technology to help drivers avoid accidents doesn't mean drivers don't have to pay attention or practice defensive driving.

Defense in depth. Someone already commented on that concept. It's much more effective than wishful thinking.

I disagree 100%. I've only been in two avoidable accidents, one of which was my fault (traffic was heavy at 30 MPH and I didn't brake quickly enough not anticipating a lock-up moment quickly enough.) Eyesight would have braked sooner and likely stopped the minor fender bender. The other, who knows; some lady pulled right out in front of me. Probably would have braked sooner than me, I'd think.

Since I've had it, Eyesight has only engaged a few times on me, and each was due to it mis-perceiving the environment. I get beeped at by Eyesight during one unusual on-ramp that has me drive down-hill and right toward cars sitting at the light for the opposing off-ramp, then turns right just prior to and runs parallel with the off-ramp. I've only had it happen once, but while going a little faster than usual, turning a little later than usual, and maybe with the opposing car coming to stop (Eyesight might see it as coming at me, lowering the closing time) Eyesight embarrassingly braked on me, leaving me at half the usual speed while traversing the intersection. The only other times were when people pulled out in front of me or exited in front of me; I had plenty of time to let off the gas and let them exit or pass in front of me safely, but Eyesight took my not braking as a sign that I wasn't paying attention and did it for me.

For those who meet your description and are following me, i sure hope they have this type of technology to prevent (severe) injury to me and mine when things lock up. I'd say at least 2-3 times per year I brace for impact, sitting there stopped, watching the guy (or gal) in my rearview realizing a little too late that he should be stopping, too. :eek:

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I disagree- it's a good technology period. It's not perfect, but neither are we and that's the point. I would like to say "for here on out I'll be 100% attentive and defensive every second in the car" but that's just not true. We can exercise our best skills and try our best but distractions come in many forms from moods to phones to a 2 inch brown recluse spider. And then there is the real danger - "the other guy". Safety systems help with all those. No distractions. Not perfect ( Car braked on me this morning for a lavender bush) but a safety enhancement on top of due diligence and proper skills.

I've tried to avoid replying to this post because it is so obviously wrong, and all sensible people realize that ..... but I can't help myself :lol: The reality is that NO driver .... I repeat NO Driver can truthfully claim that they have "paid attention" 100% of the time throughout their entire driving life. I'm not talking about the obvious distractions like texting, lighting a cigarette or using the phone etc, but I refer to things like momentarily shifting the line of vision from the road to view a picturesque mountain, or an animal on the side of a road, or looking at some unfortunate person who has just had a wreck, or had a quick glance at an extremely attractive member of the opposite sex (or the same sex depending on your particular persuasion) or an ambulance or police car or fire truck that passes you with sirens blaring. Even if it only takes a nano second, you have taken your eyes momentarily off the road, and if you tell me you haven't ever done that, then I'm afraid I just do not believe you.

... Eyesight Technology has save me from T Boning a vehicle when a driver made an illegal left turn in front of me. The system responded faster than I could moving my foot from the accelerator to the brake. That partial second time was the difference between collision and going home. It is kind of disingenuous to judge a technology that is a driver assistance without experience the benefits.

Exactly. My better half experienced almost the exact same thing & she said there was no possible way she could have responded & braked to avoid the collision like Eyesight did. In fact she said it was frightening the speed & stopping power that Eyesight had in that situation, & even if she could have been quick enough to apply the brakes there was no way she could have applied anywhere near as much braking force as Eyesight did. Expensive collision & probable injuries avoided.

... The reality is that NO driver .... I repeat NO Driver can truthfully claim that they have "paid attention" 100% of the time throughout their entire driving life. ...

... Even if it only takes a nano second, you have taken your eyes momentarily off the road, and if you tell me you haven't ever done that, then I'm afraid I just do not believe you.

100% spot-on.

When I got my '17 w/EyeSight I wondered how it would do, but the adaptive cruise was enough to sell me if it even came close to working as advertised.... IT DOES! & A LOT MORE!

ES is amazing in response to any perceived threat. It's reaction time must be milliseconds & it will seamlessly let you take over in my experiences.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/eyesight-emergency-braking-saved-us-257012.html?t=257012&highlight=Eyesight+saved

In many areas I drive in there is a real problem with tailgaters ~ I so want a led markee on the trunk to display "Get off my ass; I make frequent stops!"

& 'ninkompoops' pulling out in front of you -- making you slam on the brakes to avoid rear ending them. Many do not even try to get up to speed in a timely manner - they act like they are driving a cement truck .... 'dare you to hit me..."

I have had ES turn off at daybreak for short periods lately due to excessive fog [picture Sleepy Hollow; ie: see maybe 10 feet with fog lights] & upper windshield fogging.

The windshield fogging is partly due to me trying to dial in the temp degrees setting to one that both defogs & is comfortable to me. Usually once the windshield is clear ES will turn back on, but I have had it turn on & off as you drive into & out of very dense fog.

Once I did have Eyesight freak out when an exit/on ramp looked like you were approaching oncoming traffic at 40mph & then you went down & to the left. EyeSight thought I was headed into a barriers/cars while accelerating. I turned off cruise when the collision warning came on & it seems to me like the cameras observed the cars in front of me following the ramp so it did not emergency brake.

Didn't you read my post! I was paying attention, Where I live we have left turns only arrows and only while there the opposing vehicles are stopped by a red light.

Now since you are not understanding this simple scenario or should I draw you a picture( with xxx and oo and squiggly line[emoji3]) The opposing traffic doesn't get a green light for about 2 to 3 second after the left turn signal is off which includes the yellow left turn signal just in case they are yellow light runners. So I am a very good distance from the intersection doing 35 in a 40 mph speed limit, light turned green on my side I am going down hill in the right lane. She turns in from of me and I missed her by only six inches. (Those 6 inches is the the faster response from Eyesight, Eyesight gave the warning simultaneous while forcing the brakes) Now the driver behind me went around my vehicle to avoid hitting in the rear and stopped beside me and open the window said " How in the He'll did you miss her,". Well, I was driving my wife's Foz and that week decided to buy a H-6 with Eyesight over an A6 and never will buy another vehicle without this technology.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

The "personal responsibility" folks don't get it.

Just imagine, Rowlette, if your car didn't have Eyesight, you could be lecturing the other driver about her personal responsibility from your hospital bed. Now, wouldn't that be better? People just have to learn to accept responsibility! :lol:

My car has the Rear Cross Traffic Alert system (part of the Eyesight package? I also have the automatic rear braking, which I think is an extra feature?)

So I have to ask the really, really, good drivers.

How do you safely back out of a parking lot space (full lot, like most are around here) in situations when it is impossible for you to see if another car is approaching?

I can guess, since it is what I used to have to do, you slowly, slowly, blindly creep backwards, waiting on the inevitable horn to tell you that there was a car approaching which was impossible to see (or have you mounted some mirrors, like postal trucks have, on your trunk?)

I can tell you how I do it now, I shift into reverse and gun it!

no, not really, I creep back, knowing that the sensors in the trunk area will tell me if a car is approaching well before it becomes visible to me. It is both safer for me, and for the other motorist, to have this warning.

What's your copay? Easy way to find out is getting into preventable and avoidable fender benders, isn't it?

I disagree- it's a good technology period. It's not perfect, but neither are we and that's the point. I would like to say "for here on out I'll be 100% attentive and defensive every second in the car" but that's just not true. We can exercise our best skills and try our best but distractions come in many forms from moods to phones to a 2 inch brown recluse spider. And then there is the real danger - "the other guy". Safety systems help with all those. No distractions. Not perfect ( Car braked on me this morning for a lavender bush) but a safety enhancement on top of due diligence and proper skills.

I agree it is a good technology because it helps reduce the risk of accidents by people who are doing things other than exercising safe driving. Mood and phone distractions fall squarely into that category. I may give you the brown recluse spider but then I have to ask: How many times have you encountered a brown recluse spider crawling around in your car while driving?

With all that said the situation you posted about was appears to be your failure to drive in a safe manner. You said you were driving approximately 40 MPH down a busy two lane road with a long line of traffic. From that description it sounds as if you were driving a little too fast for the situation.

Furthermore you said, just prior to the incident, you had taken your eyes off the road to look at activity off the left side of the road. IOW you were not paying attention to the traffic conditions ahead of you when you were travelling approximately 40 MPH on a busy, two lane road with a long line of traffic.

You also mentioned you saw nothing but stopped cars in front of you. Were any of these cars involved in an accident? If not how was it they were able to safely stop under the same circumstances for which you required Eyesight?

There's a reason that, in 99% of rear end collisions, the vehicle in the rear is listed at fault: Because it's incumbent that driver to be aware of what is in front of them and drive in a safe manner. From the description you provided it doesn't appear you were doing so.

Or did you leave out the part where there was a brown recluse spider crawling up your leg :)

glad to say my mom is now looking at a RAV4 XLE with Toyota Safety sense (might be a 2017) to replace her 11 year old Toyota Sienna LE AWD.

I'm working on her to cross-shop a Forester with Eyesight.

In any case, she was considering it ever since riding in my Legacy and learning about all the safety systems available now.

Too bad that, as a 74 year old, she is getting this accident prevention technology now (since her reflexes only improve, ammi right?)

Especially since she has never had an accident, that's pretty good, and she has more driving experience than all of our excellent driving Eyesight detractors (possibly, combined)

Archived