LegacyGT.com

Eyesight on/off

Just wondering if anyone else encounters a random or in my case, a predictable time when the Eyesight systems will shut down or "pause". In the morning I leave the house before dawn and navigate a mile + maybe through typical neighborhood type streets with multiple turns. Then I hit a unmarked (no center line) road for 1/4 mile then a double line cty. road.

Almost every morning when I get to the unmarked portion right out of the neighborhood, Eyesight shuts off. Then when I'm about 1/8th of a mile down the two lane well marked cty road, it comes back on.

Is Eyesight trying to calibrate at start up but does not have a reference until I hit the double lined cty rd?. Just wondering if this is somewhat common or just me and/or possibly related to terrain?

from my understanding the eyesight system is visual. if it can not see the road / road markings it can not determine the road. so if the lane markings are not there then it makes sense to me that the system can not try to keep you on the road.

Correct. If it cannot see, it triggers the disabled warning light until it can see something again. I have also had it disable momentarily when I first get in the cold car during the winter and the small space between the windshield and camera fogs up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you mean Lane Keep Assist is not registering road lines or that Eyesight is disabled (big dash warning message, Eyesight is Disabled) ?

Hi Guys- Yes I get the "Eyesight Disabled" with a line through it- center of console and per a question above, it's in white lettering-not in red.

Sounds like this may not happen after calibration but perhaps there are not enough visual ques to trigger a successful calibration immediately at start up? I asked cause I'm in a typical neighborhood. You drive 1/2 a block, make a right, another block turn etc. There are parked cars, curbs etc. but no lane markers. never happens but in the morning first thing. If I take off now in broad daylight, it will work fine. Maybe it does not like getting up that early? Or (seriously) darkness compounds the issue and the rest of day it is fine. I notice it every morning so thought I would ask as if this were "normal" I would think a lot you would experience it too...

... perhaps there are not enough visual ques to trigger a successful calibration immediately at start up?

First, EyeSight does a self-test at engine start, which takes less than 10 seconds. If no warnings are displayed at that point, it has passed the self-test.

Second, sophisticated optical devices like EyeSight identify objects (other cars, pedestrians, lane stripes, trees, curbs, etc.) by detecting their edges/outlines. If a scene has very low contrast, EyeSight may not be able to find distinct enough edges to positively identify objects ... at which point it errs on the side of caution and enters a Temporary Stop state until better visual conditions return.

I imagine that a dark, unlighted street with no (or faded, or ambiguous) lane markings would be sufficient for EyeSight to do a Temporary Stop. Objects sitting on top of the dash or any obscuration of the windshield could make things worse. The fact that you report no problem under daylight conditions tends to confirm this analysis.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Can't argue your logic. Also perhaps a contributor is as I exit the neighborhood prior to the Cty. road, I'm on an unmarked road which is 3-4 cars wide. You may be right about it losing its bearings as it's on this road is shuts down. Then fires right back up on the two lane cty (double yellow) road...

I personally have never had this sort of issue. The type of commute you are describing sounds very close to mine, but obliviously not identical. I have also driven down dirt logging roads with no lane markings nor ambient light after dark, and eyesight continued to function, but lane assist/lane keep did not.

The only time Eyesight has shut off while driving is during extremely heavy rain or snow.

Thanks. I was wondering if I was unique in this experience. Dealer says don't worry about it unless it were to get worse/happen often. My guess is they have no idea what's up either and I'm sure if I brought it in it would not repeat. I'll call it a quirk and monitor the situation. Also I'll try a different way out of the "hood" and see what happens. See if it is time based or more likely just some terrain which causes it some consternation.

Thanks. I was wondering if I was unique in this experience.

I have a similar road near my house which I drive often ... straight, flat, 2-lane asphalt with faded stripes, and there's a working turf farm on both sides, so the terrain is pretty featureless. On this section of road I've experienced what you describe exactly once in the 33 months I've owned my 2015 Legacy. While the visibility was clear, it was late twilight and even with my headlights on the scene provided very little visual contrast. EyeSight did a Temporary Stop that lasted for about 15 seconds before it reacquired the road. It's never happened again since.

To be clear, I have occasionally experienced other Temporary Stops under other circumstances ... driving directly into a sunrise or sunset, dense fog, heavy rain, heavy snow showers, blowing snow ... but those are all a case of, "If you can't see the road well, EyeSight probably can't see it well either."

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Makes sense. Eyesight is great but not perfect but pretty close. Great technology. Thanks for the response(s). I don't think I have an issue, just a small bump in the road. I'm going to go on mountain cruise here soon. One part is called the OMG road. It will be interesting to see how it behaves on a featureless trail staring out into space. I'm sure it will do fine.

Capture.PNG.1c84fbc8e4c96149bf7155c58905b7cf.PNG

Even though the eyesight is good it do have some shortcomings. A combination with a radar system is one thing that would help. But also a built-in awareness of cars changing lane into your lane would help quite a bit - however without being too obnoxious since the lane changes some people make here are tight and requires you to have a sixth sense combined with reptile reflexes.
453747.png

My legacy will lose e/s if I'm on a country road that has trees on both sides of the road and no painted lines. I assume its because it can't discernibly see where it is going. Once I get out of the wooded area and a little more light hits the area the e/s kicks back on!

Yep- very similar scenario.... Thanks

Thanks... No yellow or red. Yesterday not a peep. Today, the lane and collision icons appeared then vanished. Just a hard spot I think in a very wide area where e/s loses it's bearings. I will never be one to complain though- it saved my butt yesterday. I may start a thread on that.

Archived