LegacyGT.com

Speed bump filled with a non-Newtonian liquid

ehsnils

How will this work in the winter?

A Spanish company has designed a speed bump that won't hinder slow drivers but will still stop motorists driving too fast.

The speed bump is filled with a non-Newtonian liquid which changes viscosity when pressure is applied at high velocity.

http://www.businessinsider.com/speed-bump-badennova-non-newtonian-liquid-hard-soft-road-fast-slow-safety-2017-6?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

453747.png

well, I would think it wouldn't be used in a location that they get snow and might run a snow plow...

the temperature response is hard to say - no idea what the oil is or what the viscosity vs. temperature looks like for low strain rate loading - I imagine it would firm up a bit. The application looks more suited for interior structures than on a road (it's probably a whole lot more expensive than an asphalt or concrete speed bump, which would limit it's acceptance by folks, I would think.)

This fluid increases its viscosity in proportion to rate of pressure increase. It does not have to be water-based, it could be glycol-based or silicone-based, for instance, so it wouldn't freeze in cold weather. I'm totally guessing it's a suspension of silica particles in glycol in a rubber tube. Can't be anything too exotic or expensive.

May be useful as a temporary speed bump around events and similar though.

absolutely - that would be a pretty ideal application! a number of the examples in the video look like they are modular/temporary.

non-newtonian fluids are fun - corn starch in water is the classic "make your own" non-newtonian fluid.

Archived