LegacyGT.com

Teen driver recommendations?

OldFartWRXDriver

Hi,

Due to family politics, we are now a Subaru family which means the kids cars will be used Subaru's too. I have been looking at 4th/5th gen Legacy sedans, but prefer 4th as they are smaller and cheaper. Kids are not interested in a SUV. I'd like to get something relatively safe and still with a little "fun" factor.

I'd like your thoughts on the NA vs Turbo versions for new drivers. The car will be mine so I am not worried about maintenance (I assume I may be rebuilding / replacing engine for something high miles and original, and will send it through a very good mechanic before the kids touch it).

That said, before you read further I used to be very active in the Camaro forums so I know the rules before posting. Yes I searched and found this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-first-cari-191560p4.html?highlight=teen

I get peoples argument over power in the hands of a new driver and yes less power is generally safer. My DD is a WRX and my fun car is an IROC so I respect power.

My question to you as Legacy experts is this: Is the additional power from the turbo when applied to the Legacy something you think a new driver can handle meaning with respect to the Legacy's drive train, suspension, weight, etc...? In my Camaro I'd say no ******* way but he drives my wife's Outback with the 6 Cylinder engine just fine.

Thanks and yes I am looking for your opinions. I have time before we need to pull the trigger and most likely I will find both at local dealers to feel the difference myself. As someone who still goes back to the Camaro forums for technical help I recognize and respect the wisdom all of you have about Legacy's that I don't.

For a first time driver, I would say normally aspirated is the way to go. You can make the car fun to drive with some simple suspension mods. The new driver will have enough to worry about just learning car control without being tempted to push it too far, especially when they have their friends in the car with them egging them on. You can teach them to maintain the car without it getting too complicated.

Subarus are safe cars, and fun to drive even without lots of power. There will be time for high performance cars a little later on.

^^ This. In a few years my son starts driving. I have told him since he was 11 that I will be happy to get him a Forester, Impreza or Legacy....but no turbo. First of all, I know what I did in a 1972 Dodge Dart with a 318 V8, and then in my 240Z when I was 18 years old....so not going to give him power. Plus, insurance for a new male driver on a turbo car is going to be thru the roof, so no way am I paying that much. I have agreed to let him do as many suspension mods as he wishes, and he can even do HPDE track days with it, but the power stays well below 200 horses. When he is 18, and can pay for his own car and insurance, he can get whatever he wants.

I started him early on his driving experience, 11 years old, and he understands the responsibility, necessity for safety, and not taking chances. This is what I was going for. Keep the racing on the track. He has done a great job of being smart and cautiously aggressive, and he has never caused a wreck so far in 2 seasons of racing. Been caught up in a few that were out of his control, but that just drives home the need to be careful, aware, as safe as possible, and smart.

0fcdac52eeaba7daf21478918ea85f5d.jpg

Ignoring the additional power for teen argument, the older NA Subaru are better suited for daily drivers than the turbo's. Leave the turbo for enthusiast that are willing to do it for the labor of love. You don't want a $4000-5000 part bill plus labor because your teens 4th Gen Turbo inevitably needs a motor (ie YNASB)

^^ I agree. Go for a reliable NA. We did that with my wife's daughter. Her first car was a 2003 Forester X. She drove that car 15k miles over 2-1/2 years and all I had to do on it was oil changes every 3k miles, a battery and a radiator, oh...and an axle. Probably less than $400 worth of parts and fluids.

The 4th gen legacy still had weeping headgasket woes, even my 03 forester had this issue. So it isn't like you are getting something that will never need some money dropped on it just because its NA.

My argument is for a detuned turbo legacy, have the ecu locked by a tuner at low boost levels and increase the efficiency. That engine will be more reliable than an NA and it has the stronger driveline. Insurance on a legacy is the same as the LGT, the vin tells all the insurance cares about and having a turbo on a legacy makes little difference to them.

Although they can be kinda hard to come by, my vote would be for something 6 cyl with the 5EAT tranny. They have plenty of fun factor right out the gate, don't typically have head gasket issues, and the transmission is pretty bulletproof. Suspension, brakes, a good set of summer tires, and you've got one hell of fun vehicle that will last a long time, put a smile on their faces, and hold its resale value. Oh, and you probably won't have to worry about an engine rebuild. I'm in the same boat with my 15 yr old daughter. We're leaning towards an older forester for the added ride height, and awesome AWD for the crazy Minnesota winters.

My son will inherit the wife's Legacy.

One piece of advice I give everyone I talk to about teens driving- get them a stick- keeps their hands busy.

If you look at IIHS, you want to start at 2006 when they started getting top picks.

I'm not familiar with 4th gen, but appears there was a change between 2005 and 2006 which drastically changed the rating.

Although they can be kinda hard to come by, my vote would be for something 6 cyl with the 5EAT tranny. They have plenty of fun factor right out the gate, don't typically have head gasket issues, and the transmission is pretty bulletproof. Suspension, brakes, a good set of summer tires, and you've got one hell of fun vehicle that will last a long time, put a smile on their faces, and hold its resale value. Oh, and you probably won't have to worry about an engine rebuild. I'm in the same boat with my 15 yr old daughter. We're leaning towards an older forester for the added ride height, and awesome AWD for the crazy Minnesota winters.

I would agree with the above. The 6 cyl with the 5EAT is probably one of the "more" reliable 4th gen Subarus built. That's not to say that they don't have their problems, but if properly maintained, they will last for several hundred thousand miles without missing a beat.

As a shameless plug, mine is for sale right now and would be perfect. :lol:

Take a look in the cars for sale forum if you are interested!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gi-location-wi-racine-subaru-2008-legacy-3-0r-limited-264088.html

...If you look at IIHS, you want to start at 2006 when they started getting top picks.

I'm not familiar with 4th gen, but appears there was a change between 2005 and 2006 which drastically changed the rating.

If you are a 4' 11" tall woman, you might be concerned about the 2005s. IIHS gave the Legacy a "marginal" rating on side-impact but other testing agencies gave a "good" rating. It had a lot to do with the methodology of the side-impact test used by IIHS which was not very representative of real world accidents.

My son will inherit the wife's Legacy.

One piece of advice I give everyone I talk to about teens driving- get them a stick- keeps their hands busy.

+1000

If you look at IIHS, you want to start at 2006 when they started getting top picks.

The differences actually were small, but it scored better.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/real-scoop-06-legacy-improvements-25633.html

Revised side bags, headrests and allegedly improved structure. It's not like 05 are considered death traps compared to 06.

+1000

The differences actually were small, but it scored better.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/real-scoop-06-legacy-improvements-25633.html

Revised side bags, headrests and allegedly improved structure. It's not like 05 are considered death traps compared to 06.

I wasn't implying t was a death trap, just if you're looking new for you kid, why not look at one that got a better rating.

Hell I'm still hoping to own a 05 GT manual wagon. So pissed at myself as I brought a new one home on a test drive and the wife poo pooed it at the time. Should have just gone for it.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the all the advice. We finally pulled the trigger on '12 Limited 2.5 NA. Basically a Barkalounger with half an engine under the hood. Looks nice, feels nice, (radio) sounds nice. Steers like a fish. Stops on a dime. Accelerates like a cow. Which is just what a new driver needs.

And our first mod is to add the backup camera to the 4.3" LCD. Already found the tech articles here and will be getting the OEM parts once its a bit warmer outside.

Glad to know there is a community out there for tech help.

Just found this thread, Yea I know, late to the game again...

IMO it depends on how the parents taught the son respect. The phase was, "there's a time and a place for everything". He learned that better then I did.

Knock on wood, my son was fine when he had a 185whp boosted civic at age 16. Before he graduated the car had 285whp and ran 12's. By the time he was 19y/o he had a 9 second pass and a NHRA Wally. Other than speeding ticket's he was fine with the car.

Years later I did happen to swing by my buddies body shop one day and see my son's S2000 there getting a new rear bumper. LOL Seems he lost the rear end and just kissed the guard rail, no real damage.

I on the other hand wasn't so lucky when I was his age...The first big accident was a telephone pole into the nose of my 1970 GTO that was in 1973, I was 18y/o. My next car a 340 4-speed Duster, lots of engine work done... got a couple of new fenders and a right rear quarter. Three month's later, this one was not my fault, some guy in a Jeep with a snow plow rig failed to stop and took out that same side of the car, another fender plus door and another rear quarter. I can go on but I think I'd run out of space...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived