LegacyGT.com

rotomaster turbo wtf is it?

Good eclipse day everyone not me,

I recently purchased a 2005 LGT wagon with a manual transmission and it's everything I thought it could be. Not as fast or nimble as my 05 STI, but I didn't expect it to be.

I fucked up buying the car. Bought it from a used car lot with a recently replaced turbo. That AND I didn't check the turbo, I had just assumed they used a legit one. I have noticed since the day I bought it that the turbo noise is much louder than it is on my STI. Spool through to BOV (or whatever it's called on these cars). I didn't think anything of it. Until today.

I'm digging through the engine cursing up a storm because I can't get the damned banjo bolt out to check the filter and I say, hey, I should check the turbo. Rotomaster. There's a name I've never heard of. So I Google it. Autozone vf40. Well that sounds like it's probably crap.

So I come to you, friendly forums, what do I do. Pull the turbo and replace it with something not shit? That billet 20g from BNR sure looks tempting. Yes I know that'll require injectors and pump and probably smoke the crap outta my clutch, but that one will have to wait.

Should I keep this knockoff on here or get a vf52?

I've run some logs with romraider and there is some knocking that I'll take care of after I do the banjo bolt filter and leaky valve cover gasket.

Figure out what you are working with. Get an used oil analysis done. Usually when these turbos go they take the whole engine with them. You can cover it up by slapping on a turbo and driving it until that new Turbo blows.

Basically tiny turbo parts might be circulating all around the engine causing damage. You don't know unless you get a oil analysis done.

Read this for worst case. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-failure-wiki-173358.html

It drinks oil. I add a quart every 150-200 miles. When boosting I see smoke out the back. There's soot on the bumper and tailgate, for whatever reason mostly on the passenger side. I am leaking oil out the valve cover gasket, I just haven't gotten around to changing it yet.

Is an oil analysis something I do locally or do I send it off?

She's parked for now so I've got time. My STI is keeping me company.

My car did the very same it got so bad it was popping the oil dipstick in the end it was a cracked ringland on number 4 sometimes between shifts it would run super rich and leave a dark cloud behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotomaster has been around for decades. They mainly deal in heavy commercial trucks and such but apparently they are getting into smaller vehicles as well. The real thing you should be worried about at this point is the engine. If the last turbo shit the bed then there is a good chance that the engine has ate a bunch of bearing material.

So keep the turbo that's on there then? this autozone turbo is OK?

It might be or it might not, but you won't really know until you analyze the oil and check shaft play... and by your description it sounds like you've got bigger problems to start on than just replacing a working no name turbo.

fair enough.

unless the turbo is the reason why i'm kicking out smoke under boost and using oil. it's probably the pistons though. I'm pulling the damn turbo off today and installing an sti up pipe. doing all that so I can get that ******* oil supply line filter checked because i've been unable to loosen the banjo bolt. I need to come at it with a breaker bar from underneath.

thanks.

nah, i like wrenching on cars. got it for a good price so i cant' complain. I planned on building the engine anyway, was just hoping to you know, enjoy it stock for a little bit before then. oh well. can't really complain at this point, just gotta move forward and start putting parts together. sure wish I could find a legacy spec b 6 speed transmission for a reasonable price though.

...doing all that so I can get that ******* oil supply line filter checked because i've been unable to loosen the banjo bolt. I need to come at it with a breaker bar from underneath...

You don't really have to remove the turbo, it's easier to just remove the downpipe. Then you will have access to some bolts you need remove for the uppipe. Once that is out, you will have line of sight to the banjo bolt and you can reach it from underneath with an extension and flex joint.

If you remove the turbo, you have to line everything back up with the turbo inlet and oil drain hose. It can be pretty frustrating, so better to avoid doing that.

One last tip, loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine slightly on the passenger side. The uppipe will come out much easier.

Thanks. I recently replaced the turbo on my STI. It didn't grenade but it was getting a little shaft play. The legacy is so much nicer to work on. There's so much space! It was a pain in the butt but nothing compared to removing and reinstalling an aftermarket turbo inlet. This time around that's going in while it's disassembled.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to tearing into this engine. Always planned on doing the STI but never got around to it. That car is absurdly fast. This wagon is my dream car (almost, hard to find those elusive SWP MT Limited Black interior), so while I've had 6 cars in the past 4 years, this one's a keeper.

Archived