LegacyGT.com

OEM Subaru Replacement Wipers (inserts) vs complete assembled blade packages

Hello

My original factory wipers failed inspection (over a tiny tear) and my NY state inspection was expired, so I drove to my local dealer to buy the wiper rubber inserts (and not the whole blade)

The parts manager told me that Subaru "is getting away from" wiper inserts and that the dealership only sells the complete OEM Subaru wiper blades.

I would normally spend more time researching this and/or calling other dealers, and/or ordering the OEM inserts online, but I had no inspection sticker on my car and was not willing to drive around to another dealer and/or wait for an online order.

I did save $8 off of both blades with an online coupon, so total cost was only around $25 for the pair.

Has anyone else heard of Subaru not selling the inserts anymore, and only being able to buy the complete assembled blades now?

I'm wondering if this was a decision by the individual dealership to try and make more on the blades as they may have been losing money on the labor to take apart and install the new inserts, rather than just swapping the entire complete blade assembly?

I paid $8 each for inserts for our tribeca I can't imagine paying $9 more for complete assemblies would have bothered me. In any case for the legacy I wait until there is a special at the local auto parts and buy Bosch assemblies. They last much longer and work wonderfully.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Has anyone else heard of Subaru not selling the inserts anymore, and only being able to buy the complete assembled blades now?

I'm wondering if this was a decision by the individual dealership to try and make more on the blades as they may have been losing money on the labor to take apart and install the new inserts, rather than just swapping the entire complete blade assembly?

I do not know about Subaru inserts; I last ordered inserts last November.

Years ago my local Toyota dealer told me the same story about discontinuing the inserts. It was just the dealers decision to discontinue carrying the inserts. I ordered the inserts online for many more years. At least with the Toyota blades, the replacement blades assemblies were lower quality and were rusty after 2 years. Fortunately I had decided to keep the originals, and kept the car for 12 years. The original never got rusty like the replacements.

Archived