LegacyGT.com

AC question

So, my Outback's AC system was discharged and now it's blowing hot air. I tested this by using a screwdriver and quickly tapping the schrader valve and nothing coming out.

Since my system is discharged already, and I know where the leak came from (already fixed), I might as well replace the O rings as well as the dryer unit (since it's likely been over a week empty now, and it's probably shot).

My question is as follows: is there a full AC gasket/o ring kit, and if so, what's the PN?

Also, what's the proper dryer PN? I looked on the subaru parts website, and I have no idea what it even looks like.

Just saying, you may want to talk with the AC shop that will refill the system. See if they have anything else you should check before you pay them to re-charge the system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I see a TYC and Denso part. I'm assuming Denso is probably the OEM manufacturer, due to what seems like the majority of our parts coming from them.

Do condensers normally include the pack, or is it something you have to buy separate?

The gaskets (o-rings) that are most common to leak are the 2 at the compressor.

For the O-Rings. Just get an assortment kit which will have all the sizes you could ever need. It may cost a few bucks more than buying "one of these, two of that size and four of the thicker ones". They are light green in color.

Avoid the black ones if you are offered any. They are for R12 which uses mineral oil as a lubricant instead of PAG oil.

Brand doesn't really matter. Just lightly lube them with PAG oil when installing.

While you are at the parts store, get replacement cores for the Schrader valves.

If the system has been open for any length of time, it is highly recommended that the desiccant bag gets replaced.

It is accessed by removing the sealing plug from the bottom of the condensers side. At the 45 second mark of the attached video, you will see an example of the desiccant bag on a Subaru.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived