LegacyGT.com

Q300 vs hks silent hi power

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish the hks silent hi-power was cheaper right now I'm still kinda suck between replace my center with the stock because someone hacked it up and get a nameless muffled exhaust or get the hks silent hi-power by like Nov-Dec $1,200 would be a drop in a bucket but just thinking about $1,200 alone for the exhaust is just :-|

I wish the hks silent hi-power was cheaper right now I'm still kinda suck between replace my center with the stock because someone hacked it up and get a nameless muffled exhaust or get the hks silent hi-power by like Nov-Dec $1,200 would be a drop in a bucket but just thinking about $1,200 alone for the exhaust is just :-|
You can deff get it for under 1000$...just look around...I think I paid 970

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

FWIW, I was happier with my custom axle back I had made at a local exhaust shop.

I had the stock mid pipe, a cheap ass Y splitter just before the read diff, then 2" piping back to two oval Manga-flow knock off mufflers. The wagon had a nice low rumble, more towards a healthy V8 sound at idle, was nice under WOT and quiet on the highway.

The car had plenty of power and good throttle response. It cost $500 plus the nice polished Dynamax 4" tips.

The current set up on the wagon is the Pro Lab Tuning open mufflers and a stock mid pipe. Still to loud on the highway. The Q300 exhaust is sitting in the shed after putting about 1000 miles on it.

The wagon is catless, I may put the Q300 on the Spec B, which has a catted DP...but not sure yet.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would really WANT to use my Vibrant TPV muffler.. I mean it's been sitting in my house for 6 years and I've changed cars twice and I still have it here.. the issue is I think the inlet is 2.5" and I think the stock Y pipe is 2.25"? I'm not sure how you could connect them without it looking like crap.

I think the stock Y pipe is smaller then that. I think where it split's before the diff, at the end of the mid pipe is 2.25".

Think the stock pipes past the diff a 1.750"

But any decent exhaust shop should be able to make things fit.

I did google the TPV muffler. https://www.google.com/search?q=vibrant+tpv+muffler&oq=vibrant+tpv+muffler&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.7660j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I think the stock Y pipe is smaller then that. I think where it split's before the diff, at the end of the mid pipe is 2.25".

Think the stock pipes past the diff a 1.750"

But any decent exhaust shop should be able to make things fit.

I did google the TPV muffler. https://www.google.com/search?q=vibrant+tpv+muffler&oq=vibrant+tpv+muffler&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.7660j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This is the one I have the 1057 one

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1527_1032_1535_1052&products_id=1164&osCsid=eb85e615b7d1aa2fdab09597a4e57b67

the last owner installed some Ebay muffler which has god knows what size the rear Y-pipe is but I know it's larger then stock I think it's 2" something but it's still hacked with that flange which is why I want to get a replacement OEM I just don't know if it will work with the Vibrant one I have

I've had both, the nameless 5" is definitely louder. With Indivia catted downpipe and stock mid, this is what it sounded like: first part from outside the car, the other two were backseat of the wagon.

The idle and acceleration was unique and just an awesome rumble. But the highway cruising was painful drone. Some have figured out how to tame that, but it was my fifth attempt at something and I was tired of trying to weld something custom. After 6 months I traded mine for a set of HKS Silent Hi-Power and still get some rumble, but much more mellow and cruising is almost silent.

I've had both, the nameless 5" is definitely louder. With Indivia catted downpipe and stock mid, this is what it sounded like: first part from outside the car, the other two were backseat of the wagon.

The idle and acceleration was unique and just an awesome rumble. But the highway cruising was painful drone. Some have figured out how to tame that, but it was my fifth attempt at something and I was tired of trying to weld something custom. After 6 months I traded mine for a set of HKS Silent Hi-Power and still get some rumble, but much more mellow and cruising is almost silent.

mine kinda drones now but it's a cheap ebay one the last owner got TBH in the youtube clip it sounds not sound bad inside maybe a little louder because it's a wagon?

From my understanding the wagon is louder than a sedan. I sound matted the full back end of the wagon (behind the seats) and it helped a bit, but from what I've read I would have needed to weld in another resonator in the mid-pipe to help with the drone. If I lived more out in the country, I would probably go back and do it; but the neighborhood I live in right now has a number of folks that aren't keen on loud exhausts.

• 1 year later...

Sorry about reviving an old-thread, but this is the most recent thread on the HKS Silent Hi-Power on a Legacy GT that I have found...

... After 6 months I traded mine for a set of HKS Silent Hi-Power and still get some rumble, but much more mellow and cruising is almost silent.

How has the HKS Silent been doing for the last year? I am considering it for a 2009 LGT that I recently purchased that is 100% stock. I am looking to replace the down-pipe next year, so I will be using it with the OEM down-pipe.

I have a 2006 WRX with a TurboXS TBE, and I am looking for an exhaust for the LGT that is bit quieter on the interstate / highway driving, but is less restrictive than the stock exhaust.

Thx

Sorry about reviving an old-thread, but this is the most recent thread on the HKS Silent Hi-Power on a Legacy GT that I have found...

How has the HKS Silent been doing for the last year? I am considering it for a 2009 LGT that I recently purchased that is 100% stock. I am looking to replace the down-pipe next year, so I will be using it with the OEM down-pipe.

I have a 2006 WRX with a TurboXS TBE, and I am looking for an exhaust for the LGT that is bit quieter on the interstate / highway driving, but is less restrictive than the stock exhaust.

Thx

I’ve had my HKS on for about 2 months now. Barely used for $500 off craigslist. Dude got the whole side of his car wiped by a deer and insurance totaled it. My Cobb catted downpipe and AEM CAI is on the back burner til my extended warranty is up so I’m running stock DP as well. Nice clean sound, ZERO highway drone and sounds great over 3500 or so rpm. Really nice refined sound imo. I think the Cobb catted dp will give it a few more DBs n a lil more throat which will be perfect for me. The older I get the more I enjoy a well tuned exhaust note instead of as much noise as you can make. If that’s kind of what you’re looking for it’s probably one of, if not the nicest (for the $ at least) you can get for the Legacy GT

... I’m running stock DP as well. Nice clean sound, ZERO highway drone and sounds great over 3500 or so rpm. Really nice refined sound imo. I think the Cobb catted dp will give it a few more DBs n a lil more throat which will be perfect for me. The older I get the more I enjoy a well tuned exhaust note instead of as much noise as you can make. If that’s kind of what you’re looking for it’s probably one of, if not the nicest (for the $ at least) you can get for the Legacy GT

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you got a good deal. I am after a quieter sound for the LGT when not driving hard. My other car is a 2006 WRX, which has a TurboXS TBE and has plenty of growl if I am looking for a more aggressive sound... ;-)

Did the HKS center pipe connect to the stock DP without an adapter? From reading the listings on the HKS silent hi-power, I cannot tell if the diameter of the center pipe is 2.5" or 3".

Thx

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you got a good deal. I am after a quieter sound for the LGT when not driving hard. My other car is a 2006 WRX, which has a TurboXS TBE and has plenty of growl if I am looking for a more aggressive sound... ;-)

Did the HKS center pipe connect to the stock DP without an adapter? From reading the listings on the HKS silent hi-power, I cannot tell if the diameter of the center pipe is 2.5" or 3".

Thx

No adapter necessary. Just a new factory donut for the end of the downpipe

Subaru part #44022AA123

and a clean up of the old material before installing

• 3 weeks later...
No adapter necessary. Just a new factory donut for the end of the downpipe. Subaru part #44022AA123 and a clean up of the old material before installing
The HKS Silent Hi-Power arrived this afternoon. My wife and daughter sent a few funny pics standing beside the box that is over 5' tall -- the UPS person left it on the front porch, nearly blocking the front door. I plan to install it this coming weekend, assuming the snow / sleet in the driveway melts by then ;-)

Does the HKS hang down any lower than the stock system? I have seen some CBE's that appear to hang down lower, but it looks like the mid-pipes were bigger than what the HKS appears to have.

The following video suggests cutting away the heat shield to make room for the mid-pipe. Did anyone need to do that?

Thx

I added a second invidia resonator that was removed because somebody wanted it louder... Now its perfect. Invidia catted down and q300 with 2 resonators.

Do you have any pictures of that midpipe? Or sound clips?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

The HKS Silent Hi-Power arrived this afternoon. My wife and daughter sent a few funny pics standing beside the box that is over 5' tall -- the UPS person left it on the front porch, nearly blocking the front door. I plan to install it this coming weekend, assuming the snow / sleet in the driveway melts by then ;-)

Does the HKS hang down any lower than the stock system? I have seen some CBE's that appear to hang down lower, but it looks like the mid-pipes were bigger than what the HKS appears to have.

The following video suggests cutting away the heat shield to make room for the mid-pipe. Did anyone need to do that?

Thx

I have a 3" mid-pipe with HFC that I added, and no reason to cut the heat shields. I would be pretty surprised if you had to do that.

I don't think it hangs any lower, at least it didn't with me.

I have a 3" mid-pipe with HFC that I added, and no reason to cut the heat shields. I would be pretty surprised if you had to do that.

I don't think it hangs any lower, at least it didn't with me.

What HFC did you add? Did it make the Q300 quieter? I might go that way instead of adding another resonator, should help with smell too.

Magnaflow 94009 Universal High-Flow Catalytic Converter Oval 3 In/Out

I have a 3" ebay mid, I wanted to kill sound and smell at the same time and it's largely succeeded.

Right now I have TurboXS axelback, I've done a couple of HKS as well. It's pretty much on par with the stock mid for sound with greater flow (3").

Mine doesn’t sit low imo. Aside from it not being perfectly centered which I tried to do and realized it was physically impossible. Seems to be how it was made cuz when I played around with it it was either one can would be higher/lower and centered but couldn’t get them centered and even heights so that’s the best I could do with it after about 2hrs messing with it. The Y-pipe will sit a touch lower just due to size but not much.

116f0c781e0d9f6fdd8001ed1919189a.jpg

I did not need to cut the heat shield at the midpipe. I actually checked and could stick a finger between midpipe and heat shield

Did you get some poly hangers? The Perrin ones r really nice. I’ve gotten them for all my cars. They’ll help keep it a little tighter up as well

Good luck with the install

Looks good!

I've seen the same thing, every one of the axlebacks (several) that I have tried are pinched toward the middle of the openings. Tried with two different mid-pipes as well.

Thanks. Yea I cursed at it n moved it this way n that way n cursed at it some more haha and then finally got it where it sits and took a step back and realized that was the best it gets. Not perfect but looks good. My Perrin twin tips on my 15 WRX were literally perfect. Perfectly centered, about 3/4” from the bumper and abt 1/2-3/4” poke out the back. Rare that aftermarket stuff fits like that though and the cheaper it gets usually the worse it fits. I’ve realized this over the last 20yrs

Magnaflow 94009 Universal High-Flow Catalytic Converter Oval 3 In/Out

I have a 3" ebay mid, I wanted to kill sound and smell at the same time and it's largely succeeded.

Right now I have TurboXS axelback, I've done a couple of HKS as well. It's pretty much on par with the stock mid for sound with greater flow (3").

Ordered "Magnaflow 94009 Universal High-Flow Catalytic Converter Oval 3 In/Out" today, hopefully it achieves both with my Q300. Also ordered exhaust baffles "Drag Specialties - XF-2-1861-0915", will do them in stages.

Archived