LegacyGT.com

5mt won't go into any gears

KRM

I washed my engine bay and thoroughly dried everything, swapped my steering wheel, reconnected the battery and now I'm not able to get it to go in gear while running. It will when it's off just fine.

What I've done so far is bled the system and checked the movement of the fork. The slave cylinder is about a year old, new line, mc is original to the car. No leaks. Pedal feels as solid as usual.

just moving my car 20ft, shutting it off, cleaning it, then no shifting is bothering me. What are the chances that the mc is done? About to order a exedy one and another slave cylinder if I gotta remove one, might as well do the other...

Any ideas before I go with that plan are welcome

What is it doing when you try to put in gear while running? Grinding? Can't find the gate?

The symptom correlated to engine on/off points to a clutch engagement issue so I think you are on the right track. Can't hurt to check the rest of the linkage by removing interior trim, sliding under the car, and having someone else row the gears.

No grinding. Car wants to move a little if I apply gentle force. Like the clutch isn't released enough to allow it to go in. There isn't any back story to my transmission..no grinding, hard shifts, clunks. Swapped a smfw, tsk3 and oem clutch back in 2008 when it had 68k on the car. I had the engine out about 3k miles ago after having done a few things unrelated to the clutch, but it checked out alright. Has plenty of life on it. Now with 100k on the car it's parked with this problem.

Will do with the inspection on the links. going to pull the fork boot and look down to hopefully not see a broken fork. If that's the case I'm looking at the billet option to just ease my mind like all the other small but serious "what if, and this and that could happen when these aren't upgraded" kind of parts my car seems to get.

Is there a tip on how much play or movement I need to look at when I inspect the fork? If I remove the slave cylinder and wiggle it, should be solid correct?

I've said it already in the general 4th generation thread....the love/hate is dead even at the moment

Went out in this OK heat this morning to pull the intercooler again to inspect and replace parts. Decided to try one more time. Pumped the clutch a bit, started it, now it's shifting like nothing happened.

Still going to put the new parts on. And this gives me time to think about a stronger clutch

FWIW, when my mainshaft was about to break, the tranny got stuck in between gears once.

There's a thread about it here somewhere, I think titled broken mainshaft.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5290_zpse23fc24a.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5293_zps96f7f28a.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I drove it right after it started working again. I'm thinking maybe water had gotten in the mc while washing the bay. With that shafts broken, wouldn't that make some noise?

Tranny made no noise other than normal before the shaft broke. The weeks before it would begin to pop out of gear sometimes if I recall right.

Had the tranny removed, opened up looked at replaced a few parts, couldn't find anything obvious. Put the tranny back in and drove it a little, it didn't feel right. Had my tranny guy drive it and it got stuck between gears once at a stop sign as we were making a U turn.

Drove it back to the shop, had my machine shop buddy drive it...he brought it back with just 1st and 2nd gear working.

Pulled tranny back out and found the broken shaft, notice it looks like there are two fracture lines in the metal on the shaft.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived