LegacyGT.com

Bent valve or leaking piston rings?

So I was looking into a couple threads on here about compression testing. When I completed my engine build I did a compression test to ensure nothing was wrong. All the cylinders read 170 psi except one. One of them read like 158 to 164, I can't remember the exact number. Looking at the repair manual it said that this was still within the okay range of 12 to 15 psi difference so my engine was still good. According to the Chilton manual

The engine has also always had this sort of deep internal knock. Increases with rpms, seems to get drown out ij the high rpms. Not as loud as a rod knock, and not as quiet as valves. Somewhere in the middle, but it's done it ever since i bought the car and even after the engine was gone over. It sounds the worst at idle, or that's when it's most noticeable. I've tried different things with the knock sensor to see if that was an issue and it doesn't seem to be making the engine change in any way due to this knock. And sometimes I swear it's louder than others. The engine runs fine other than just horrible gas mileage and sometimes a little rough with the pedal to the floor (assumed it's due to the 14 mpg over-fueling) is there any way this knock could be related to the one cylinder having lower compression?

Also having lower compression is there anything I can Do? I saw on Thors wagon build he did the motor medic and it helped the numbers significantly, is that still holding up? Should I consider That? If so how do I go about it?

Leakdown test will tell you if it's valves. You can also add oil to cylinder and see if it helps. If oil makes it go way up then you have bad rings.

Motor medic helped me because I got lucky and possibly had a frozen ring or something. I have to check it again to see how it's holding up

The only issue is I'm leaking a bit of oil. Like kind of a lot. When I went to install the rear main seal it must not have gone right but I leak a lot of oil. Just no time to pull the engine back out yet. Do you think the marvel would just kinda be a waste at that point being as it'll leak out? Or is it still worth a try? I'm always making sure oil levels are good

Okay cool, and you guys just drop that into the cylinder through the spark plug hole?

Also my rear wrist pen was leaking a ton of oil when we pulled it at first and we rtv it to try and help but is there a more permanent solution to stop the leaking such as there is with the aluminum oil separator plate? Which I still need to do

Yeah, normally the procedure is to pull the plugs, put 1-2oz in each cylinder through the spark plug hole, put the plugs back in and then let it soak for 12+ hours. Once it's done soaking, fire it up to burn off the residual oil and that's it.

The sound you're describing actually sounds like piston slap in that cylinder with the weaker compression. That's due to piston rings with a lower gap than the others that causes the skirt of the piston to "slap" the cylinder wall. Piston slap seems to occur most at midrange RPM when the engine is most "unbalanced". My friend had piston slap on his old EJ22 after seafoaming the oil and changing it, but his had well over 200k miles on it and he beat it worse than a pimp on a cheap hooker.

When you change your oil, probe it with a magnet (like one of those cheap pickup magnets) to see if it has any metal in the oil. Basically put the pickup magnet in the stream of oil to see what it picks up. If you see a high concentration of metallic particles, you could be looking at something weak internal. If it is piston slap, a full rebuild will be necessary and it's a good idea to have the block honed to remove the scoring from the bottom of the cylinder walls. If you can, take a good quality video of the noise and upload it to YouTube or something so we can hear it.

Maintenance I've done involves the top end rebuild. Didn't go in depth in the connecting rods or crank or anything but had the heads resurfaced and everything and also checked the cylinder walls to ensure they are true and they were all in surpringly very good condition, the cross hatching in them from when they were built was still in very prominent shape and there were no divets or anything in any part. The oil I actually have checked before and there's almost nothing magnetic coming out of it. But the sound would kind of add up. Bad comes to worse I have another engine bored and stroked to a 2.7 litre with supposedly forged internals (haven't gotten that far into looking at it, bought it from some rich kid)

Other then the deeper internals such as valves, crank, cams and things like that, everything has been replaced, I listed everything when I bought the car and so far all i have left that hasn't been replaced with oem factory parts is rear sway bar end links, coil pack, MAF, and steering rack bushings. It's been a very long time coming and I've put about 2500 into the maitanence (got the car for 1000)

This being said the car is reaching the 250,000 mile mark. My dad says I just overthink it and that's just what an old worn out engine sounds like

I just barely graduated highschool, naches and grew up in Chinook so my car kinda reflects that rough rugged off-road look, so if I'm anything it's definitely not a professional on any of this and i still have much to learn. My dad on the other hand used to build cars all the time with his buddies ranging from big v8 to turbo bikes, anyways talking with some of them today they were saying it's most likely the bearing clearance on my crankshaft? I'm unsure to what that even is but they brushed it off like it wasn't much to worry about as the engine is getting in it's age anyways and I'll probably swap soon

What kind of other maintenance have you done to the car? Weird that I haven't noticed your car around town before.

I maybe have seen yours around lol you don't have any pictures up man but I do notice most 4th gens just because I think they are quite attractive

Huh I'm in west valley area a lot as i work at Meadowbrook and live around yvcc but yeah I can't recall seeing yours either

Very odd, I go to Perry Tech so I'm down the street 4 days a week lol. Not in West Valley as often as I use to be though, but I did have breakfast at Waffles Café yesterday. There are a couple really clean 4th gens in the area but I don't think any of them are on this forum.

FYI piston slap damage won't show in the cylinder bore above the stroke of the piston, it'll show up in the bottom of the bore below where you can see it.

Oh, damn okay I was not aware of that. I was really just curious if that could be related to the horrible gas mileage and low power if maybe a valve wasn't working correctly or something

Very odd, I go to Perry Tech so I'm down the street 4 days a week lol. Not in West Valley as often as I use to be though, but I did have breakfast at Waffles Café yesterday. There are a couple really clean 4th gens in the area but I don't think any of them are on this forum.

Well damn, I have Monday and Tuesday off but if your in the area any other day swing by Meadowbrook, you'll see my car parked over near the batting cages and I'll be working out at the go karts

• 4 weeks later...

Archived