LegacyGT.com

Checking to see if any of you are using a dash cam in your cars and, if so, what did you use and how is it working out for you? I am looking at two units...the Blackvue DR650S and the new Garmin 65W. Pros and cons to each but I recall a long time ago seeing postings related to dash cams but want to revive a specific thread related to the topic. Each of the units I mentioned get extremely good reviews but I am sure there are others. Money is no option (they are not that pricey anyway) so I am not looking at being price conscious. Thanks!

I have one both in my and my wife's car. We have the Thinkware H50. I didn't want to go high end yet but they have been working well. We've caught quite a few incidents. I don't have the hardwire kit but have been contemplating it as the purpose for it is to catch any activity such as vandalism etc. Quite happy so far and my next one should be a dual cam setup for front and rear cams.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Checking to see if any of you are using a dash cam in your cars and, if so, what did you use and how is it working out for you? I am looking at two units...the Blackvue DR650S and the new Garmin 65W. Pros and cons to each but I recall a long time ago seeing postings related to dash cams but want to revive a specific thread related to the topic. Each of the units I mentioned get extremely good reviews but I am sure there are others. Money is no option (they are not that pricey anyway) so I am not looking at being price conscious. Thanks!

Here are a couple vids that may be of interest, because the affect on Eyesight is something that I had wondered about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmU6-497JA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgp4rMVNGaY

Blackvue DR650 here, tucks behind the mirror perfectly and isn't visible at all from the driver's seat.

Wi-Fi feature is super handy if you need to pull video while out and about. Haven't been in an accident but I'd imagine being able to pull the footage real quick and show the officer right then and there would be nice, especially if the other driver is lying about what happened.

Highly recommend buying from www.hdvideodepot.com their customer service is phenomenal and they tend to have the best price out there.

Using a cheap $20 one with no issues for a long time now. I have the power cord running along the top and down the passenger side. Works fine. I keep spare microsd cards in case I need to download something for a cop. Which I have done twice.

Blackvue DR650 here, tucks behind the mirror perfectly and isn't visible at all from the driver's seat.

Wi-Fi feature is super handy if you need to pull video while out and about.

I've got the same one. Tucked in behind the mirror and it doesn't interfere with eyesight whatsoever. Second car I've had a blackvue in and love them.

I have a Thinkware F500 with front and rear facing cameras in my car that does a great job. It doesn't interfere with the Eyesight and I have it hardwired into the car so it just automatically comes on. Here is a link to a small fender bender I caught so you can see the quality.

Question...placing a camera mounted to the glass (or radar detector) should not have any impact on the cameras. However, one video stated that you should not mount anything to the glass if you have eyesight...I am not sure I understand why since there is no way anything on the glass behind the rear view mirror would interfere with the cameras. Anyone have any facts to support this versus just an opinion? Thanks!

Not true. you can mount to the glass as long as you are outside of the Eyesight camera's field of view. Right behind the center of the rearview mirror there is a safe area that will not interfere with the stereo cameras. See picture below fore reference, the V shaped area between the two red trapezoids directly below the center of the rearview mirror.

IMG_1326.thumb.jpg.0e8333ee4cf803d4550f7c8ed8f9966e.jpg

I have the Garmin 65W you are looking at and I love it. I did an immense amount of research in regards to size and export ability then had it installed professionally. The lane departure and car ahead warning are near features that can be disabled or dumbed down and if you do not have eyesight.

I have the cam mounted higher up due to the fact that I have my front windshield tinted.

Here's some pics of it I took a few minutes ago.

fb0d2e36f67aa403971e0d7c51fbdbb1.jpg6ebda3199c609c64cdf1d638ca4cd6f8.jpg454c365281f6dc60cf7724312a1b9f44.jpgb40db5ff3bff3317e99d9bff03932953.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not true. you can mount to the glass as long as you are outside of the Eyesight camera's field of view. Right behind the center of the rearview mirror there is a safe area that will not interfere with the stereo cameras. See picture below fore reference, the V shaped area between the two red trapezoids directly below the center of the rearview mirror.

I'm interested in what you mention as being "the Eyesight camera's field of view" for a couple of reasons ... (one being the positioning of a toll road tag.)

I understand what you are saying about the V shaped area between the two red trapezoids, but I'm just wondering about the implications of the other lines that your picture depicts

Search my friend...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5293131

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!😊

Thanks Rowlette, that was a help .... I also have a plug in HUD that I need space for, but I guess if it all boils down, I was kinda intrigued by leolfds picture with all the different lines, and I wondered where he got that from, and what the blue oval shape represented .... is that an eyesight camera "go zone" or a "no go zone" :)

Thanks Rowlette, that was a help .... I also have a plug in HUD that I need space for, but I guess if it all boils down, I was kinda intrigued by leolfds picture with all the different lines, and I wondered where he got that from, and what the blue oval shape represented .... is that an eyesight camera "go zone" or a "no go zone" :)

Picture is from outback.org. Click link below and the first post will tell you what the lines represent.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/278234-windscreen-eyesight-interference-zones.html#/topics/278234

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/AUTO-VOX-Dashboard-Capacitor-170-Super-Recording/dp/B00UUS52YG/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1499709761&sr=1-19&keywords=dash+cam

I had it in my old 2006 LGT and now in my 2015 Legacy 3.6R w/ eye-sight. I placed it right between the two cameras, behind my rear view camera. The sticky part is actually mounted to the dot-grid shade on the windshield and only the camera is sticking below that. I like my installs to be as hidden as possible, so it does fit in well with the eye-sight system and doesn't look too obvious outside of that.

I have two of these, the other being in my wife's car. Both have worked great in all temperatures (-10C to 35C) and the few times we've needed to review footage they have been helpful. I purposely got one without GPS so that it doesn't track my speed (not that I speed). Some features that would've been helpful are auto-collision recording while the camera/car is off. Some have that feature, and it would have really helped with a hit-and-run on my car while the car was parked. Otherwise, I'm happy with it.

Some have a rear camera, but to me the point of a dashcam is to protect yourself from liabilities and most incidents that happen behind you (but not all) are not your fault.

Picture is from outback.org. Click link below and the first post will tell you what the lines represent.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/278234-windscreen-eyesight-interference-zones.html#/topics/278234

Thanks for the reply. I actually can't activate that link for some reason, and I've also tried the direct URL for the outback forum itself without success but Ill keep trying.

From the other forum. Anything in that v shape area is ok. Anything else inside of the two yellow and in the blue is not.

Quote:

"Red - inside these red zones any stone chips or damage will or can interfere with the cameras.

Yellow - inside the larger yellow zone you should not have any accessories hanging inside the car or dangling outside for some reason. This is important in Norway where we have pre paid toll road sensors which we would normally mount beside or under your rear view mirror. On the 2015 Outback this must now be outside this yellow zone.

Blue - inside the blue zone you should not have anything sitting on the dash inside the car because the reflection up onto the windscreen can interfere with Eyesight."

From the other forum. Anything in that v shape area is ok. Anything else inside of the two yellow and in the blue is not.

Quote:

"Red - inside these red zones any stone chips or damage will or can interfere with the cameras.

Yellow - inside the larger yellow zone you should not have any accessories hanging inside the car or dangling outside for some reason. This is important in Norway where we have pre paid toll road sensors which we would normally mount beside or under your rear view mirror. On the 2015 Outback this must now be outside this yellow zone.

Blue - inside the blue zone you should not have anything sitting on the dash inside the car because the reflection up onto the windscreen can interfere with Eyesight."

That's perfect .... thanks very much, I appreciate you going to the trouble of doing that for me.

I have the Viofo A119 hardwired.

It is mounted well beneath the rear view mirror yet has no impact on Eyesight.

Does your Liberty have the high beam assist camera as shown behind the rear view mirror at about 6 seconds into

Outback YouTube video? If so do you mean underneath the high beam assist camera which from what I can tell would put the camera in your line of sight, am I right? The Eyesight cameras, high beam assist camera & rain detect sensor for the wipers looks exactly like that on my 2016 Liberty.

I’ve just been taking some measurements on my Liberty using the measurements from the pdf file that ammcinnis provided in this post (linked to by Rowlette in post #7), & when those lines are laid out on the windscreen there isn’t much room to mount the dashcam if the vehicle is fitted with the high beam assist camera. I’m still trying to find an area that is clear of the Eyesight cameras.

I think parts of that pdf document could be somewhat dated – for example that 4” x 4” area that is shown as being suitable for a transponder is partly in front of the high beam assist camera.

Does your Liberty have the high beam assist camera as shown behind the rear view mirror at about 6 seconds into
Outback YouTube video? If so do you mean underneath the high beam assist camera which from what I can tell would put the camera in your line of sight, am I right? The Eyesight cameras, high beam assist camera & rain detect sensor for the wipers looks exactly like that on my 2016 Liberty.

I’ve just been taking some measurements on my Liberty using the measurements from the pdf file that ammcinnis provided in this post (linked to by Rowlette in post #7), & when those lines are laid out on the windscreen there isn’t much room to mount the dashcam if the vehicle is fitted with the high beam assist camera. I’m still trying to find an area that is clear of the Eyesight cameras.

My Liberty does not have that third camera behind the rear view mirror.

Yes, my dashcam is in my line of sight, just beneath my mirror. That is how I prefer it to be setup. This allows me to make sure it is on and correctly aimed.

If you are not concerned about being able to see your dashcam whilst driving, you should have no issue placing it up behind the mirror between either eyesight and the central cam.

Here is a pic:

20170712_234007.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

The High-beam assist will not tolerate anything in between the Red trapezoids for the Eyesight. High-beam assist AND rear-view mirror Dimming function will be degraded. When I say anything, I mean something the size of Cam.

R/Mac

My Liberty does not have that third camera behind the rear view mirror.

Yes, my dashcam is in my line of sight, just beneath my mirror.

Thanks for the photo, you have a lot more options than I have. Wherever I try to temporarily locate it I find I don’t have enough room. The bulk of the high beam assist camera case makes it really difficult, & going by 2manysubies post, that area is out anyway.

The High-beam assist will not tolerate anything in between the Red trapezoids for the Eyesight. High-beam assist AND rear-view mirror Dimming function will be degraded. When I say anything, I mean something the size of Cam.

Thanks, that is valuable information. Just to confirm; from the windscreen white dashed vertical centreline out to either of the red trapezoids for the Eyesight interference area can cause high-beam assist & rear-view mirror dimming function to be degraded. I guess you are talking about electrical interference from the dashcam?

That means the only safe option left is at the top of the windscreen on the driver’s side near the a-pillar (the top passenger side near the a-pillar doesn’t get cleaned by the wipers).

I found this dashcamtalk.com topic interesting (this is the SG9665GC V1, the SG9665GC is now up to V3).

Archived