LegacyGT.com

05 LGT Wagon, 5 speed, no start/no crank

So now that this has happened twice, I figured I should look into it. Searched a bit and didn't find a slew of threads on this subject, so i take it this isn't a super common problem, but hopefully someone has encountered this before.

Anyway, my wagon seems to have an intermittent starting problem all of a sudden. I've owned it since winter and this just started happening. I would like to solve the issue before it leaves me stranded somewhere. Both times, this has been what happened:

Start the car, drive to the store with no issues. Go in the store for a few minutes, come out... car won't start. When I turn the key to on, everything happens like normal (gauges sweep etc.), but turning the key to start does *nothing* at all. No clicking, no nothing. Try it several times, nothing. Take the key out, put it back in, etc... nothing. Wait 5-10 minutes, miraculously it starts right up like usual. The battery and starter seem to be just fine, because when it starts it starts strong.

I'm thinking it might be:

• Clutch interlock switch
  • Ignition switch
  • Something more nebulous... security system related perhaps?

Has anyone experienced this before?

I've had that before when the starter was starting to fail. I would pull the starter and have it bench tested at an Autozone or similar.

Could be the clutch switch, but you should be able to tell if that is it by slightly shifting the clutch pedal when it isn't working. If it suddenly goes, then that's probably it. From my experience, a starter on its way out will start to have intermittent issues like this.

Now that you mention it, this winter the starter would occasionally "grind" when letting go of the key. This is apparently a common cold weather problem, solved with a little grease (info found here on the forum). I was planning to pull it and lubricate it, but since the weather warmed up and the noise went away i had kind of forgotten about the whole thing.

Sounds like a project for next weekend - pull & test... and then either replace with new or lube/reinstall. Thanks for the reply.

If you have a meter you can check it yourself! If the starter solenoid is getting power when you turn the key, everything else is working.

If it was the clutch switch you can push it in and out and get it to start.

My guess is starter, but checking it first saves time and gas

Ditto on the starter. I had a similar problem - twice, and the only 2 times a subaru has ever left me stranded-ish (I bumpstarted the car each time, so technically not hah). Replaced the starter. Check with a volt meter first - unplug the signal wire on the starter solenoid (you can access this wire by just removing the TMIC), have someone else try to start the car. If you're getting +12v from the wire, its the starter that's the problem.

Well, it left me stranded at the gas station yesterday morning. Of course thanks to Mr. Murphy I was already running late yesterday. Luckily I know the employees there, and they have a good sized parking lot, so I pushed it into a parking spot and left it for the day. After work it still wouldn't start, so my friend and i pop started it and i drove it home. Got out my meter to do some diagnosis last night... and the car is starting normally again. Of course, why wouldn't it be? :rolleyes:

I went ahead and disabled the clutch interlock switch by making a jumper wire from a couple spade connectors, so if that's the issue it should be no longer. I'll probably still pull the starter this weekend and have it tested, then clean & lubricate it. Then i guess i'll drive it with my fingers crossed until it strands me again... Intermittent electrical problems are the worst! :mad:

An update –

I had been driving it for a couple trouble free days with the disconnected clutch switch, until it pulled a no-start on me again yesterday. Thankfully it happened in my driveway this time while trying to “shuffle cars”, and I had nowhere to be! Perfect. As suggested I pulled the solenoid signal wire off and hooked up my meter, sure enough it was getting full voltage when the wife turned the key. Plug it back in… zip, nada, nothing.

I ordered a Denso reman starter from Rockauto last night, looks like I’ll be driving the race car to work again this week until it arrives :lol:

Of course the LGT started up just fine this morning, which worked out perfectly as I was able to move it over in front of the garage rather than having to work on it out by the street!

Just saying, you could have ordered the starter from a local auto parts store, and in most cases had one in a couple hours instead of days.

If there's a problem with the new starter...how long before rockauto sends you another one...

Hey, do you have to send back the old starter ? if not, keep it, rebuild it and have a spare. I have a spare now. wasn't worth me getting the $20. core back from NAPA.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I did a little digging/reading before ordering and decided to go with the Denso reman, since they apparently replace basically everything but the housing during a rebuild. Parts store remans… not so much. Through Rockauto I saved about $60 over ordering a Denso at my local parts store. I also took the opportunity to pick up a bunch of closeout spare parts for my other vehicles. For one of them I picked up a couple sets of Axxis Metal Master front brake pads for $6 per set!

Anyway, I have 6 months to return the core to Rockauto, so I’ll put in the new one and give it a little time before I send the dead one back. The core charge was about $60 so I could always keep the spare and still break even vs. buying the Denso reman locally… we’ll see.

Feeling about 10 years younger after a nice spark cut 2-3 flat-shift (a.k.a. 65mph burnout) getting on the highway this morning… time to start fiddling with throttle lift anti-lag before the next autocross. :)

So my Legacy is fixed, I put the new starter in last night.

I lucked out in that it cranked up with the old starter to drive it up on my ramps. I was able to easily remove and replace the starter by working from both below & above without removing any other parts (aside from the battery cable :)).

The old starter is in worse shape than I even expected. The bendix gear barely retracts if i push it up by hand. The engine also turns over significantly faster with the new starter in there. I guess after 207k it was time :)

Sadly the previous owner of the car got screwed over by his mechanic, which sucks for me too. He had receipts from a shop in MA stating that they installed an ACT flywheel and clutch kit... peeking in the starter hole i saw a plain steel flywheel and plain steel pressure plate cover. Oh well... :(

Glad to hear you got it figured out and fixed!

Sorry about the flywheel/clutch... on the rare occasion I take my car to the shop, I try to remember to tell them I want to see my old parts to take with me when they are done for that very reason...

Archived