LegacyGT.com

Bought a house thinking about getting a Forester....

Why not get a light folding 4x8 utility trailer and a hitch for one of your current cars? A lot more space when you need it and who cares if it gets banged up a little bit on runs to the home improvement store or the dump.

Why not get a light folding 4x8 utility trailer and a hitch for one of your current cars? A lot more space when you need it and who cares if it gets banged up a little bit on runs to the home improvement store or the dump.

MilesA.......I think you're on to something....:rolleyes:

Have you actually compared the space? The Forester is smaller than the Legacy.

We looked at one, unless you're constantly carrying large tall items with the back seats down, the Legacy has more day to day usable space- at least in our overnight test drive of the Forester.

We looked at one, unless you're constantly carrying large tall items with the back seats down, the Legacy has more day to day usable space- at least in our overnight test drive of the Forester.

There will be many a tall item....Unfortunately. It might be a wash right now, because the dealer is saying they'll give 12k for a trade........Yeah Right!!

I'll second the 4x8 utility trailer. I've got one. Refrigerator, washer, kegerator, patio set, basketball hoop, furniture, gas grill, swing set, countless loads of mulch and topsoil. Just some of the things I've carried in it over the last 12 years I've had it.

As an owner of both I can confirm this. If I'm hauling furniture from IKEA or yard equipment from Lowe's I want the Forester since it's taller but if I'm traveling and need cargo space for everyone's luggage the LGT wins by a LOT.

I friend of mine bought a house and actually expanded the entire upstairs with dormers, new roof, flooring, walls etc.

He drives a 2002 VW Golf diesel. He has an OEM VW roofrack that has hauled everything from full size fridge to couches, lumber, etc.

And he removed the rear seats so he has a ton of interior volume.

It basically became like a work truck for him.

But he's getting around 40 MPG on his daily commute to work, when he's not working on the house.

I've driven the Forresters. They are nice. I've though about needing more room for stuff, and I like the idea of towing a small 4x8 trailer instead of getting an SUV. Its a great idea

• Moderators

A trailer is more useful than just about any vehicle on it's own. I now even own a damn pickup truck, but if I need to move serious stuff I'm still going to hitch up the 5x8 enclosed trailer that I have.

And with a 4x8, 5x8, or similar sized utility trailer, you can get them cheap, move them by hand when empty, and tow them with just about anything with a hitch. And no damage to a vehicle from loading, unloading, etc.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

A trailer is more useful than just about any vehicle on it's own. I now even own a damn pickup truck, but if I need to move serious stuff I'm still going to hitch up the 5x8 enclosed trailer that I have.

And with a 4x8, 5x8, or similar sized utility trailer, you can get them cheap, move them by hand when empty, and tow them with just about anything with a hitch. And no damage to a vehicle from loading, unloading, etc.

I've never understood my father in law's obsession with pick ups.

He rarely hauls stuff, when he does and I've helped him, it's a pain in the ass to load it up that high.

Yes for me it takes some planning to rent a UHaul, but damn, it's so much nicer walking stuff into the trailer vs getting it up into a bed.

I've mentioned more than once to him about getting a trailer instead- nope.

Hell he's got two bad knees and can barely climb into the bed.

Archived