LegacyGT.com

Manifold and fuel system cleaning

techron every 10k miles is good enough for me, and I buy top tier mostly at one station except when travelling.

Also, fwiw, if next gen Legacy has direct injection, this video advice above won't apply.

techron every 10k miles is good enough for me, and I buy top tier mostly at one station except when travelling.

Also, fwiw, if next gen Legacy has direct injection, this video advice above won't apply.

Thanks to you and also c3156 regarding your references to direct fuel injection because it caused me to do a bit more research on the matter. I found there were many interesting articles on the subject of DFI and this one in particular ...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/whats-so-great-about-direct-injection-abcs-of-car-tech/

My car has 74K miles. Is manifold and/or fuel system cleaning worth it?

If you mean the Subaru branded Upper Engine Cleaner SA459 here that is required as part of every service in Australia, then yes.

It has been used on all our Subarus since 2003. For one reason or another when it wasn’t applied by the dealer & also once out of warranty I’ve noticed that it definitely worked when I applied it as directed on the can plus the odd application via the throttle body.

With the FA20DIT engine in our SJ Foz XT I found it required an in-between service application of this (or similar) to keep is idling smoothly, even though it was applied at each service.

[Edit] The port injected Subaru engines (non-turbo & turbo petrol) didn’t require this in-between service application, only the application at every service. [end Edit]

I hope they don’t put a DIT engine in the next Liberty, the 3.6R was a breath of fresh air as far as smooth idling compared to our SJ Foz XT.

For anyone interested, this topic by Novablue on subaruforester.org gives information & photos of how the FA20DIT in the SJ XT can end up.

Subaru Australia also recommends using the Subaru branded Fuel Additive SA718 (also shown on the above Subaru Aust page) but it isn’t listed as part of the service schedule [Edit] correction, it now is [end Edit]. IMO the important one is the upper engine cleaner.

Every car manufacturer recommends using THEIR branded products...that's how they make money. However, there are many great products on the market that are, most likely, far cheaper and will yield the same or better results. Not saying the Subs product isn't good and may even be moderately priced but many of these products are about the same and several great choices out there.

If you mean the Subaru branded Upper Engine Cleaner SA459 here that is required as part of every service in Australia, then yes.

Subaru Australia also recommends using the Subaru branded Fuel Additive SA718 (also shown on the above Subaru Aust page) but it isn’t listed as part of the service schedule. IMO the important one is the upper engine cleaner.

Hi XT, actually the Fuel additive SA718 is listed on the service schedule for our 2016 3.6lt Liberty (refer line 15 on the actual maintenance schedule). I rang my service center and they told me that both SA459 and SA718 are part of the 6 monthly services that our vehicles require. They mentioned that with the new Imprezas and XVs which have service intervals of 12 months, the new owners are given bottles of the stuff for use in between services.

Hi XT, actually the Fuel additive SA718 is listed on the service schedule for our 2016 3.6lt Liberty. ...

Well blow me down, they have finally added it. Thanks for the correction. This is the first Subaru I’ve owned that had it included in the service schedule. It took them a long time to include it.

About once a year (for me that is about 9,000-10,000 miles) I throw in a can of fuel system cleaner in the tank. In all the cars I have had I had a problem only once with a clogged idle jet on a carburetor for a German built Opel in about 1978.

If anyone can show me empirical evidence (not anecdotal stories) that having your fuel injectors, or intake manifold cleaned makes any difference I would like to see it. Other than that, spend about $4.00 like I do and throw in a can of cleaner once a year. It can't hurt and may actually be worthwhile and if it isn't you are only out a few bucks

My car has 74K miles. Is manifold and/or fuel system cleaning worth it?

That many miles in this short time...I think your system is pretty clean with that much driving.

If you had low miles and the car is only driven locally, no highway miles, then I'd say a can of fuel system cleaner may be a good idea.

My 05 wagon has 243,000 miles still on the original fuel system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

About once a year (for me that is about 9,000-10,000 miles) I throw in a can of fuel system cleaner in the tank. In all the cars I have had I had a problem only once with a clogged idle jet on a carburetor for a German built Opel in about 1978.

If anyone can show me empirical evidence (not anecdotal stories) that having your fuel injectors, or intake manifold cleaned makes any difference I would like to see it. Other than that, spend about $4.00 like I do and throw in a can of cleaner once a year. It can't hurt and may actually be worthwhile and if it isn't you are only out a few bucks

well this is what happens when you have DI engine where your fuel does not spray on your valves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytquqfLAWR8

well this is what happens when you have DI engine where your fuel does not spray on your valves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytquqfLAWR8

Yes, carbon build up is bad, but I am still waiting for evidence that the "cleaning" service offered by dealers and service shops has any value. If you think it does, do a literature search and post the cites. Other than that you can tell me what ever stories you want, but they are just that: stories.**

** You tube videos have little scientific value as they are just anecdotal stories on tape**

your fuel injectors do not spray into the intake so any thing introduced there is not cleaned off. It is not a bad idea to use intake cleaner to remove oil and other contaminants from the intake. on a lot of engines PCV will go right into the intake via the intake tube...

and before you are so dismissive regarding the videos, the one guy was a Ford certified technician...before opening his own shop.

I've been using Chevron with Techron for about 20 years now, on the Legacy and 3 prior cars. Generally, I've been using every 10,000 miles on the Legacy. It made noticeable improvements on a 89 Mustang that I had. I also used on my 91 Prelude for the 17 years I owned it, and never had a check engine light or any engine issues.

For smaller power equipment, I've been trying Seafoam the last couple years. Hard to say if there have been any benefits with that, but my snowblower backfired a lot when I got it used, and it doesn't anymore, (after heavy concentrations of Seafoam over last winter's use)

Intake cleaning (and having anything clean) is generally good. I just can't get myself to pay a dealer the crazy price to have a tech spray some stuff in there and call it a day.

Archived