LegacyGT.com

Oil Cooler Gasket

While swapping a blown turbo I notice my oil cooler is weeping oil. I have a few questions:

1. What size is the nut that holds the assembly to the bottom of the block? 22mm?

2. How should I secure the block to cooler hose and the cooler to hardline hose the little S shaped ones? They have crimped style clamps now (still OEM) and they arent hard or leaking

3. If i clamp off the little hoses could I do it without dropping all the coolant?

Overall shouldnt be too bad im going to pick up the gasket from the dealer and a gallon of coolant (PEAK 50/50) just in case.

While swapping a blown turbo I notice my oil cooler is weeping oil. I have a few questions:

1. What size is the nut that holds the assembly to the bottom of the block? 22mm?

2. How should I secure the block to cooler hose and the cooler to hardline hose the little S shaped ones? They have crimped style clamps now (still OEM) and they arent hard or leaking

3. If i clamp off the little hoses could I do it without dropping all the coolant?

Overall shouldnt be too bad im going to pick up the gasket from the dealer and a gallon of coolant (PEAK 50/50) just in case.

1. The nut is 22mm. You can also usually fit a 7/8" socket on there as well.

2. I kept the oem clamps but replaced all of the hoses.

3. If you clamp the hoses with hose clamps you will lose minimal fluid and only have to top it off.

1. The nut is 22mm. You can also usually fit a 7/8" socket on there as well.

2. I kept the oem clamps but replaced all of the hoses.

3. If you clamp the hoses with hose clamps you will lose minimal fluid and only have to top it off.

Thanks! How do those clamps work do you pry them off and crimp them back on? Or do you pull the tab up/off

Thanks! How do those clamps work do you pry them off and crimp them back on? Or do you pull the tab up/off

Oh, I may have misread about the clamps. I assumed yours were "corbin" type but now it sounds like "oetiker" type.

If they are oetiker, they are a pain to reuse as you can't reclamp easily without the tool. I'd just buy some good sleeved worm gear clamps or spring clamps.

If you click on my click here link in my sig, I think you'll see pictures of my new coolant cross over pipe and hoses and clamps to the oil cooler and I think I talk about the socket size.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived